Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post

Interesting. Sounds like poorly trained people in the store more than anything else. I can understand being upset, but I wouldn't base a decision to leave a carrier on one idiotic employee- I've run into a few really dumb ones with AT&T, and others that are great. Is AT&T's network inferior to Thumb's in that area? I just love their name, it is so basic and so fitting for the area.
    I shouldn't base it on that one, now ex, employee as there are some really nice people that work there. I just can't justify the price at this point for me. it's not worth it and 5gb isn't enough and will not pay 85 dollars plus tax a month for 10gb. Att is second to that of thumb cell up here overall coverage wise but doesn't work well in two most important areas, home and work. Weak signal at home to where I kept dropping calls(105dbm or worse hpsa as well as bad band 5) and areas of work where I spend a few hours with no signal. t mobile has gaps up here but works in main areas where I need it to for the most part. Sprint is just useless here lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Whos planning to get the v30? I will consider when the price drops some. Looks like a nice phone although I'm curious how much the samsung will be that's 600 equipped
    I am planning on getting the V30.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy2c View Post
    I shouldn't base it on that one, now ex, employee as there are some really nice people that work there. I just can't justify the price at this point for me. it's not worth it and 5gb isn't enough and will not pay 85 dollars plus tax a month for 10gb. Att is second to that of thumb cell up here overall coverage wise but doesn't work well in two most important areas, home and work. Weak signal at home to where I kept dropping calls(105dbm or worse hpsa as well as bad band 5) and areas of work where I spend a few hours with no signal. t mobile has gaps up here but works in main areas where I need it to for the most part. Sprint is just useless here lol
    Interesting. Not surprised Sprint is useless. It sounds like Thumb has the best coverage, and is pricing accordingly. I was surprised when Verizon did LTEiRA, as B13 gave them massive leverage to buy those carriers that hold the "missing" chunks of the CLR band on the map for Verizon, as Verizon could have implicitly said, "hey little carrier, sell to us now, or we're sending in our guys to overbuild your network with B13 LTE and obliterate you" and basically forced sales, yet they have actually gone the opposite way, and used LTEiRA to build roaming network in areas that they didn't previously have a small roaming partner.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Folks, just a reminder--please report problematic posts, DO NOT respond to them. Responding to those behaving poorly already only tends to egg them on.

And as a further reminder to all--personal attacks and trolling are not necessary. If you don't like a specific user, block them and/or don't address them. If you don't like a specific carrier, find someplace else to hang out.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    How good is LG at rolling out timely Android updates?

Motorola and Samsung are negligent laggards when it comes to rolling out Android updates.
    My guess is that they're about average (and that may also depend on the carrier). I have a T-Mobile Stylo 2 Plus (hardly a flagship), which originally came with Marshmallow. I've received a couple of Marshmallow updates, an update to Nougat, and just last week a second Nougat update.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

LG V30 Launches on Oct. 13th for T-Mobile Customers

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356449/t-...u-need-to-know

Name:  553569-lg-v30.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  66.5 KB

The LG V30 is coming to T-Mobile on Oct. 13, and it will be the first phone that runs on the carrier's new 600MHz network, also known as LTE Band 71.

T-Mobile bought a nationwide swath of this spectrum earlier this year for $8 billion, and has already begun building it out. The idea is to fill in the final gaps in T-Mobile's rural coverage.

Where did Band 71 come from?
    Remember UHF TV? This was channels 38-51.

What phones use Band 71?
    At the moment, the LG V30 is the only phone supporting Band 71; T-Mobile promises a Samsung phone by the end of the year. The Pixel 2 won't have it, nor will the iPhone X. We'll see more phones with it next year, and it'll be on all new T-Mobile phones by the end of next year, except maybe the iPhone. Apple follows its own rules.

So, does that mean I shouldn't buy an iPhone?

Not if you already have decent T-Mobile coverage, and you tend to go places with T-Mobile coverage. Band 71 is about covering rural areas where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage yet.

Will band 71 make T-Mobile viable in rural areas?
    T-Mobile is already viable in a lot of rural areas. If you haven't checked out its coverage in the past year, it's expanded a lot. Take a look at our story, A Peek into T-Mobile's Massive LTE Growth, for more. Especially between 2015 and mid-2017, T-Mobile's rural coverage massively changed. Band 71 will help further.

Where is T-Mobile installing Band 71?
    Right now, it's in Cheyenne, WY, and Scarborough, ME. Those towns already have T-Mobile coverage; the point is for T-Mobile to be able to test its Band 71 equipment in a real-world context without making too much of a splash.

Before the end of 2017, T-Mobile has promised to install Band 71 in parts of Wyoming, Northeast and Southwest Oregon, West Texas, Southwest Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle, Western North Dakota, additional areas of Maine, Coastal North Carolina, Central Pennsylvania, Central Virginia, and Eastern Washington.

T-Mobile sent us two maps for its end-of-2017 coverage: one with Band 71 and one without. Comparing the maps, it looks like northern Wisconsin and Michigan; the Dakotas; and rural Missouri and Kansas will initially get the Band 71-only treatment.

Name:  557688-t-mobile-coverage-with-600.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  69.7 KB
    Name:  557689-t-mobile-coverage-with-no-600.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  74.0 KB

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    That's great news, Danny. T-Mobile's 100% improvement of it's network over the last couple of years has driven its strong subscriber growth. As this map fleshes out and they close the gap or even surpass the two currently larger carriers, they should even enjoy more and more success. That means more profits for the company of course, but also a better experience for everyone, including increasing competition hammering away at AT&T and Verizon and improving the experience for their customers as well.

If there's anything we can do to hurry it up, it's to try and convince anyone we know who is still watching one of those mid-range UHF TV channels to turn to Netflix instead!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yep I'm all for that NAB

Feedback Score
    If there's anything we can do to hurry it up, it's to try and convince anyone we know who is still watching one of those mid-range UHF TV channels to turn to Netflix instead!
    That will do absolutely nothing in causing T-Mobile to expand their coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    From AskDes on YouTube:

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can't wait to see some B71 screenshots and speed tests.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If it dropped to 399 I'd order one in heartbeat. Would theoretically consider it at 499 but 800s is too steep even though I could use 600 when I go to central va

Wonder how long before the price drops

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    If it dropped to 399 I'd order one in heartbeat. Would theoretically consider it at 499 but 800s is too steep even though I could use 600 when I go to central va ....
    I'm with you there. I've paid ~$400 for a phone. $800? No way. That sounds too much like a $1000 pair of shoes to me. I'm sure that manufacturers will come out with more economical phones soon. I just hope that some of them are unlocked, carrier-agnostic models like the Moto G5.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I'm with you there. I've paid ~$400 for a phone. $800? No way. That sounds too much like a $1000 pair of shoes to me. I'm sure that manufacturers will come out with more economical phones soon. I just hope that some of them are unlocked, carrier-agnostic models like the Moto G5.
    I certainly understand your point about price. I transitioned from Windows to Mac a few years ago, after some 25 years of Windows computers, and have enjoyed the “seamlessness” on my Apple devices. However, I won’t buy the latest and greatest iPhone. Even the not-so-latest and greatest is pricey. But my wife and I hang onto our devices a long time, so that helps.

One reason why I’m hesitant to upgrade my iPhone is wondering when T-Mobile’s 600 MHz is going to be viable in the Southeast. A couple of years?

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    That article was really, really interesting in that it shows some coverage maps, however, they don't make any sense, as the 600mhz ones has a few areas with *less* coverage than the one without 600mhz coverage.

I'm not convinced that there are any B71-only towers outside of North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Most of the improvements look like better coverage where they are currently using B2 or B4. However, the bad news is that they apparently defy all common sense and put up a couple of B71-only towers. Hopefully they will re-think this completely boneheaded plan now that the iPhone is out and doesn't support B71.

We have discussed their tissue-paper-thin B12 coverage ad nauseum, but their other two big challenges network wise are Maine and West Virginia. It looks like they don't have any plans to build out there, instead relying on a deal with USCC, and with USCC's VoLTE way behind, they are left with AT&T roaming there.

The real story with B71 is going to be a couple of years down the road when they can use it in more metro areas for better penetration, especially in non-B12 markets.

That's great news, Danny. T-Mobile's 100% improvement of it's network over the last couple of years has driven its strong subscriber growth. As this map fleshes out and they close the gap or even surpass the two currently larger carriers, they should even enjoy more and more success. That means more profits for the company of course, but also a better experience for everyone, including increasing competition hammering away at AT&T and Verizon and improving the experience for their customers as well.
    1. T-Mobile has made huge investments in their network over the past 3 years.

2. T-Mobile's network is still nowhere close to AT&T and Verizon, both in coverage, and in quality of coverage.

I still don't see the value proposition in T-Mobile's regular Unlimited plans compared to AT&T and Verizon. They're $10-$15/mo cheaper for a network that's not nearly as good. They don't offer the $120/mo 4-line effectively Unlimited 6GB plans anymore, which were a really good value compared to the big two. The $60/mo 2-line 55+ plan is completely unparalleled for a postpaid plan anywhere in the industry, and could drive some subscriber growth amongst a crowd that tends to use a lot less data.

The one big thing I see T-Mobile having is the international roaming, albeit throttled. AT&T and Verizon need to clean up their international roaming. The packages have gotten a lot better over the past 5 years, but they're still absurdly confusing and complicated to figure out and use, even though the actual roaming itself works really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Unfortunately, what has happened is a bifurcation of the phone market. The high-end devices went from the $649 price point, and they have crept up over $1000 now on some of the very high-end devices, and even the entry point for the high-end market has crept up to $699. Meanwhile, the low end of the market is selling iPhones for roughly $129-$169, and decent Android phones anywhere in the $50-$150 range, with some cheap ones below that. The payment plans will continue this trend, since Americans can't do math very well, apparently.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast