Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

Feedback Score
    "2. T-Mobile's network is still nowhere close to AT&T and Verizon, both in coverage, and in quality of coverage" -GSMinCT

Tell this to the guy who said that T-Mobile's network coverage had already surpassed AT&T's.

I thought "I can't even..." and facepalmed.

Name:  download (7).jpg
Views: 148
Size:  3.3 KB

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know which Samsung device that was on the T-Mobile video showing first call on 600. Just can't figure out why Samsung would be launching another flagship this year in between the Note 8 and Galaxy S9. Doesn't make sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    I'd like to know which Samsung device that was on the T-Mobile video showing first call on 600. Just can't figure out why Samsung would be launching another flagship this year in between the Note 8 and Galaxy S9. Doesn't make sense.
    I have been guessing that this Samsung device with 600 MHz will be a midrange, not a flagship.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    "2. T-Mobile's network is still nowhere close to AT&T and Verizon, both in coverage, and in quality of coverage" -GSMinCT

Tell this to the guy who said that T-Mobile's network coverage had already surpassed AT&T's.
    Huh? T-Mobile doesn't have as much 4G/LTE coverage as AT&T. Probably not as much LTE either.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Huh? T-Mobile doesn't have as much 4G/LTE coverage as AT&T. Probably not as much LTE either.
    Yeah, when I last checked, and this was recently, AT&T's data network was 30% larger than T-Mobile's.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    I have been guessing that this Samsung device with 600 MHz will be a midrange, not a flagship.
    I don't know.....looking at the size it's equal to or larger than my S8+. Still very neat and should be a huge improvement over the next few years.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is what confuses me: Verizon's marketing material claims that T-Mobile is their 2nd closest LTE competitor as of Q4 of last year and since then T-Mobile's coverage has grown even more. (#5 in small print) I'm sure AT&T has a larger geographic network when you include legacy HSPA tech so I dunno?

Regionally I know AT&T has more land covered in the Northeast and parts of the South.

But here at home I have better LTE coverage and density with T-Mobile than AT&T so it's reverse. When I drove from SoCal up past Vegas into Utah then back down into Arizona my phone also had more coverage than my buddy's AT&T. Weird?

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1506813392.852088.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  41.9 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1506813419.093833.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  59.9 KB
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    These 3 networks do seem to be getting closer and closer, bringing to mind the recent Sprint advertising statement "every network is great."

Well, great, except for Sprint, oddly enough.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, when I last checked, and this was recently, AT&T's data network was 30% larger than T-Mobile's.
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    This is what confuses me: Verizon's marketing material claims that T-Mobile is their 2nd closest LTE competitor as of Q4 of last year and since then T-Mobile's coverage has grown even more. (#5 in small print) I'm sure AT&T has a larger geographic network when you include legacy HSPA tech so I dunno?
    T-Mobile may have more LTE coverage than AT&T, but that's just playing with numbers and terms, as T-Mobile's 5x5 B12 LTE has less bandwidth than fully deployed HSPA+ on AT&T. AT&T has a significant land area mass coverage of HSPA+ from a relatively small number of sites in very rural areas, with splotches across a lot of states. Verizon's numbers also may only be counting native LTE coverage, not LTEiRA coverage, which collectively contributes some significant land area mass to Verizon's LTE network.

If I had to guess, I'd say AT&T has more 4G coverage than Verizon by a small margin, but Verizon definitely has a bigger LTE network, and it depends on how you count native vs. LTEiRA vs. roaming partners.

If the HSPA+ is working properly, I don't see that as a weakness for AT&T, but both major carriers have weak coverage areas/giant holes that they need to work on.

Regionally I know AT&T has more land covered in the Northeast and parts of the South.

But here at home I have better LTE coverage and density with T-Mobile than AT&T so it's reverse. When I drove from SoCal up past Vegas into Utah then back down into Arizona my phone also had more coverage than my buddy's AT&T. Weird?
    With a few exceptions, like New Mexico, AT&T has equal or more land covered than T-Mobile, but they may have HSPA+ in some places that T-Mobile has LTE. There are small areas that Sprint has better coverage than any other carrier. They are few and far between, but they exist, so I'm sure they exist for T-Mobile too. I wish these carriers would step up their game on coverage and try to get as close to 100% coverage for all public roads in the US as possible, from which land area mass would follow.

T-Mobile tends to have better density due to their legacy as a GSM PCS carrier, so if you live or work in a metal or concrete box, then you might have a better shot with them. That may be a downside of AT&T's spectrum position, they won't need to densify as much as Verizon, and thus may have some indoor coverage issues where their coverage is otherwise good, but not as dense.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

T-Mobile may have more LTE coverage than AT&T, but that's just playing with numbers and terms, as T-Mobile's 5x5 B12 LTE has less bandwidth than fully deployed HSPA+ on AT&T. AT&T has a significant land area mass coverage of HSPA+ from a relatively small number of sites in very rural areas, with splotches across a lot of states. Verizon's numbers also may only be counting native LTE coverage, not LTEiRA coverage, which collectively contributes some significant land area mass to Verizon's LTE network.

If I had to guess, I'd say AT&T has more 4G coverage than Verizon by a small margin, but Verizon definitely has a bigger LTE network, and it depends on how you count native vs. LTEiRA vs. roaming partners.

If the HSPA+ is working properly, I don't see that as a weakness for AT&T, but both major carriers have weak coverage areas/giant holes that they need to work on.

With a few exceptions, like New Mexico, AT&T has equal or more land covered than T-Mobile, but they may have HSPA+ in some places that T-Mobile has LTE. There are small areas that Sprint has better coverage than any other carrier. They are few and far between, but they exist, so I'm sure they exist for T-Mobile too. I wish these carriers would step up their game on coverage and try to get as close to 100% coverage for all public roads in the US as possible, from which land area mass would follow.

I give the pic I posted pause because it's coming from Verizon who has no incentive to make T-Mobile look better than AT&T (LTE coverage wise). The marketing message was based upon their data so it definitely makes me think?

I've been through a few Band 12 areas in rural spots and surprisingly my data services worked okay.

In urban areas where T-Mobile has lots and lots of customers... I agree that a Band 12 only occurrence wouldn't suffice.

I'm happy that they bought a really nice slice of Band 71 that covers the entire US (give or take a little here and there). And the idea of Sprint's huge mid band offerings to boot really make me excited to be a T-Mobile customer.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    2. T-Mobile's network is still nowhere close to AT&T and Verizon, both in coverage, and in quality of coverage.
    This. When T-Mobile does full UMTS/LTE builds with multiple bands across multiple panels on each sector, their network can be considered on par with Verizon and AT&T.

Not to mention that their B12 is more often than not half the bandwidth of Verizon and AT&T. Their rural coverage maps are pretty but the experience is a whole other experience as someone who lives 10 minutes away from a rural area. The coverage map is very pretty but the coverage shown doesn’t always match the experience and you don’t get what you’d expect. You don’t really get 360 degree coverage from a site with 3 sectors. Having only one antenna per sector means that the null sector zones are a lot larger and that the experience due to that can be quite poor. But I guess YMMV.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Feedback Score
    The last time you checked? Where exactly was it you checked? The fact is you never would state any source that shows where AT&T has 30% larger network than T-Mobile's. You throw out this information and you cite no source whatsoever.

As I originally posted, and as Danny re-posted, Verizon states that T-Mobile is their "nearest competitor". Not AT&T. You've posted absolutely nothing to dispute that.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    It wasn't a Samsung. It was the LG V30 on that call. This has already been confirmed by T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    When T-Mobile does full UMTS/LTE builds with multiple bands across multiple panels on each sector, their network can be considered on par with Verizon and AT&T.
    T-Mobile has announced no plans to do new UMTS builds. And why would they? It's an obsolete technology and they instead are moving to expanding with LTE

Their rural coverage maps are pretty but the experience is a whole other experience as someone who lives 10 minutes away from a rural area. The coverage map is very pretty but the coverage shown doesn’t always match the experience and you don’t get what you’d expect. You don’t really get 360 degree coverage from a site with 3 sectors. Having only one antenna per sector means that the null sector zones are a lot larger and that the experience due to that can be quite poor.
    Agreed. T-Mobile is taking a very economical route in covering these remote areas. They are instead focusing their resources into making coverage better in populated areas as that is where the vast majority of their customer base lies. If Verizon and AT&T provides a higher quality coverage in the remote areas, then people there should use those networks.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    All I know is T-Mobile has a much better service where I live than AT&T. The day after hurricane Irene T-Mobile wasn't in great shape but I let my neighbor use my T-Mobile phone since their AT&T phones were useless. She told me this week that she moved from AT&T to T-Mobile this week and couldn't believe she put up with AT&T weak service in this area for so long.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast