Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I should change the thread title huh? T-Mobile Network Brawl. Haha.
    Are you going to change just this thread, or the other 16,000 also?

Name:  pinkybrainmeme.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  105.2 KB

Feedback Score
    Thankfully T-Mobile doesn't run a single carrier 5x5 network in any of the areas I travel. But I'll take your word and avoid the UP of Michigan at all costs!
    I'm sure I will be crossing the UP in the next couple of years, and by then T-Mobile will have blanketed it with B71. This isn't argument: it's applause

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm sure I will be crossing the UP in the next couple of years, and by then T-Mobile will have blanketed it with B71. This isn't argument: it's applause
    Me neither. Same for northern Alaska and Caribou, Maine. Just not on my list this year.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    But I'll take your word and avoid the UP of Michigan at all costs!
    Yes me too!

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    They have to provide the same level of AT&T and Verizon if they really want to compete with AT&T and Verizon. If they just want to pick up a few million subs and go on their merry way, then crappy coverage will do.
    A business doesn't have to be all things to all people in order to be successful and profitable. Businesses can appeal to different markets and different customers.

Some customers want good speeds outside the Irvine Spectrum as Danny pointed out, T-Mobile provided good coverage while AT&T and Verizon provided worse coverage than Sprint. Not only was T-Mobile competing but they were winning.

But that doesn't mean that T-Mobile has to also have the best coverage in Timbuktu. A company has limited resources so you have to pick and choose your battles to maximize profit. As you've noted they've only decided to invest in a tissue-thin network in these areas because there's not a lot of profit to be made by doing any more than that. Those areas already have established competing networks and there's no guarantee those customers are going to switch even if you built strong coverage.

AT&T's Fake 4G, otherwise known as Faux G, which has been around for a lot longer, is less sexy and flashy, but was built with capacity.
    If it works for you, that's great. I have LTE all the time and would never go to the areas that AT&T has only Faux G coverage anyway.

Now that T-Mobile has built out LTE that isn't as good as AT&T's Faux G network of 5 years ago, just imagine when AT&T builds out B2/4/14/17/29/30 LTE in those areas and can run 3x CA, meanwhile T-Mobile is running a single 5x5 of LTE.
    Yes, if that happens it sounds like AT&T would become a great choice for the few people that live in these remote areas. All the more reason for T-Mobile to stick with the tissue-thin coverage and not waste money on a money losing battle in the hinterlands.

Feedback Score
    Areas of the United States such as the Upper Peninsula where millions need coverage aren't "Timbuktu" .

I think the only time someone has actually mentioned a "backwoods" or "hinterland" place is when Danny mentioned Northern Alaska.

All of the other places mistakenly termed as "dust bowl" actually have from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions who need coverage there.

And it's great that T-Mobile is expanding so they don't just serve shut-ins, prison inmates, and hodophobes in urban areas larger than 10 million people as some irrationally demand: a network that is getting better and better is indeed a good thing and it benefits everyone.

Because even a prison inmate who doesn't need good coverage now will eventually get out of jail.

T-Mobile is to be applauded for expanding their coverage so these many tens of millions don't need to switch to AT&T just to use their phones. This is one major factor driving their growth. Yes, T-Mobile knows what they are doing.
    -------
    As for the actual Timbuktu and not the figurative "Timbuktu", T-Mobile international roaming includes more than 140 countries. For all I know they do cover this place as well!

Feedback Score
    "not waste money on a money losing battle in the [areas outside huge metropolises where millions need coverage]."

That's "Sprint thinking". You have a yellow mindset not a magenta one.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Looks like 600 will be deployed in Michigan's U.P. this year. Wonder if all 30/40 MHz is cleared to be deployed or just a small slice?

Guys.....you have to visit the U.P. They have the best damn Possum stew and catfish stir fry north of the Flint River!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Looks like 600 will be deployed in Michigan's U.P. this year. Wonder if all 30/40 MHz is cleared to be deployed or just a small slice?

Guys.....you have to visit the U.P. They have the best damn Possum stew and catfish stir fry north of the Flint River!!
    And why do they cover such areas? Profit.

And a profitable T-Mobile benefits all T-Mobile customers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

They better get to work on it PDQ. Not long before the whole UP is snowed in for the winter.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LG has fixed the Bootloop issue that was heat related in their new phones. The V30 doesn't have a bootloop issue.
    I was hellbent on getting the V10 but decided against it after reading multiple reviews. Most said their replacement V10's eventually developed the same bootloop as well so you must've been one of the lucky ones. I don't think LG has enough loyal customers like Apple or Samsung to warrant the $800 price tag even though it might be worth it. This phone is a different beast so I could be wrong.
    I suspect they'll collect dust in the warehouse for 2-3 months before they decide to drop the price but it's almost guaranteed to lose value after November 3rd. I'm going to wait until the early birds test it out and then decide.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LG has fixed the Bootloop issue that was heat related in their new phones. The V30 doesn't have a bootloop issue.
    How could you possibly know that the V30 doesn't suffer from this issue?

As far as them fixing the issue in new phones, I hope so. But that was also said during the various production runs of the G4 and the V10, and that turned out to be false.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    They better get to work on it PDQ. Not long before the whole UP is snowed in for the winter.
    I think you have until Sunday.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'll try the catfish. Pass on the possum.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I think you have until Sunday.
    Lol. It's going to be warm for a bit yet up there. I am willing to bet that the 600 equipment is already installed or in progress in the areas they plan on deploying this year. Their new 700 equipment was up on several sites well before they launched in northern Michigan. Nobody really noticed that equipment including myself because T-Mobile didn't have any coverage up there and didn't expect any until mid year.

They do want profit and to draw customers away from Verizon and AT&T which they will no doubt. Some of their site locations in northern Michigan contradict this though, because there are some B12 sites in some pretty Podunk areas leaving nearby towns with only fair service. You'd think they'd want them in or very close to these towns where the people are. Other areas coverage is solid. I can't wait to see how their new coverage pans out.

Feedback Score
    Lol. It's going to be warm for a bit yet up there. I am willing to bet that the 600 equipment is already installed or in progress in the areas they plan on deploying this year. Their new 700 equipment was up on several sites well before they launched in northern Michigan. Nobody really noticed that equipment including myself because T-Mobile didn't have any coverage up there and didn't expect any until mid year.

They do want profit and to draw customers away from Verizon and AT&T which they will no doubt. Some of their site locations in northern Michigan contradict this though, because there are some B12 sites in some pretty Podunk areas leaving nearby towns with only fair service. You'd think they'd want them in or very close to these towns where the people are. Other areas coverage is solid. I can't wait to see how their new coverage pans out.
    All those Podunks, Hooterville's, Mayberry's, Eerie Indiana's, Hazzard Counties, Castle Rock Maine's and Dogpatches!

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast