Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 414

Thread: LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    373
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    LG V30; Officially the first 600Mhz phone

    T-Mobile has confirmed that LG V30 will support the 600. Also, saw today that Maine is now lit up with 600 as the 2nd city to have it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    280
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    T-Mobile has confirmed that LG V30 will support the 600. Also, saw today that Maine is now lit up with 600 as the 2nd city to have it.
    And by other maps, it looks like that place in Maine is an area that wouldn't have transitioned until years from now.

    So they've worked around it. Maybe by using only a portion of their new license so that it doesn't interfere with existing TV stations.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    An internal document supplied to Android Authority suggests the phone will launch in Europe on September 28, and the same source claims you'll be able to pre-order the V30 in the US from September 17.

    T-Mobile said in a blog post earlier in August that it has already lit up 600MHz support in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and will continue to roll out coverage in "rural America" throughout the year; cities in Wyoming, Northwest Oregon, West Texas, Southwest Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle, Western North Dakota, Maine, Coastal North Carolina, Central Pennsylvania, Central Virginia and Eastern Washington will also have Band 71 support by the end of the year, increasing T-Mobile's nationwide coverage by six million customers to 321 million.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    254
    Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    T-Mobile has confirmed that LG V30 will support the 600. Also, saw today that Maine is now lit up with 600 as the 2nd city to have it.
    Now the next thing is to test just how much better 600mhz is in range and propagation and inside buildings. Hopefully they crank the power way up so it goes far, but they'll probably put it low to increase speed and noise level, so it'll be kinda like how B12 is now but will reach a bit further, maybe. Depends on channel size and modulation LTE is a fragile link as it is.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    14,010
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's a good first step but what will the V30 cost? I've seen rumors around $700. If T-Mobile wants to get 600 MHz accepted, it can't be just on $600+ phones. They've got to get it into the budget and mid-price models, too.
    Donald Newcomb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    13,482
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's a good first step but what will the V30 cost? I've seen rumors around $700. If T-Mobile wants to get 600 MHz accepted, it can't be just on $600+ phones. They've got to get it into the budget and mid-price models, too.
    You don't think they're planning on doing that? Didn't they get band 12 into budget and mid-price models?

    This is just the very beginning of the rollout. 600 will hardly be anywhere to start with. Most phones won't have 600. The parts makers will have to add 600 capability to the chipsets before new 600 phones can be produced.

    Give it some time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It's a good first step but what will the V30 cost? I've seen rumors around $700. If T-Mobile wants to get 600 MHz accepted, it can't be just on $600+ phones. They've got to get it into the budget and mid-price models, too.
    They came out with budget phones like the LG Leon for 700 Mhz pretty fast and in 6-9 months there were a few low cost Band 12 phones. I am guessing that the T-Mobile exclusive phone REVVL that uses a Mediatek MT6738 SoC chipset will have a new REVVL version at some point since Mediatek has just announced they are building a low cost Band 71 SoC. T-Mobile didn't pay $8 billion for spectrum that customers can't afford to buy phones that supports Band 71. Since the USA is the first 600 Mhz cell spectrum in the world and Mediatek currently isn't used in many phones in the USA then Mediatek must see a market coming to invest in Band 71.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,749
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think there will be many phones that have 600 down the road. More and more as time goes by

    Impressed with their 600 so far. Looks like steady progress

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,752
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    An internal document supplied to Android Authority suggests the phone will launch in Europe on September 28, and the same source claims you'll be able to pre-order the V30 in the US from September 17.

    T-Mobile said in a blog post earlier in August that it has already lit up 600MHz support in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and will continue to roll out coverage in "rural America" throughout the year; cities in Wyoming, Northwest Oregon, West Texas, Southwest Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle, Western North Dakota, Maine, Coastal North Carolina, Central Pennsylvania, Central Virginia and Eastern Washington will also have Band 71 support by the end of the year, increasing T-Mobile's nationwide coverage by six million customers to 321 million.
    The last bit has no meaning in mobile, since people travel in and out of covered areas.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation
    Posts
    9,286
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    The last bit has no meaning in mobile, since people travel in and out of covered areas.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

    600 may fill in some of those holes that travelers may find themselves in.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    The last bit has no meaning in mobile, since people travel in and out of covered areas.
    If you live and work in one of those areas it has lots of meaning. Not everyone is a long haul truck driver or on going to vacations destination every day of the year. Since T-Mobile only got the licenses for 600 Mhz about 2.5 months ago they seem to rolling pretty fast. No one expected T-Mobile's new 600 Mhz spectrum would be coast to coast for a long time. T-Mobile priority was to roll out Band 71 to areas that don't have Band 12 and are cleared for 600 Mhz without interfering with TV stations. True a lot of that is rural or small or medium cities but those are the areas that need 600 Mhz.

    John Legere just tweeted that Scarborough, Maine has Band 71 up and running as it's 2nd build out and it is 5G Ready since the new Ericsson equipment & Nokia Radio's are build for 5G networks when it approved via software.

    https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/statu...43329084694528
    Last edited by shilohcane; 08-31-2017 at 01:14 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    373
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Say what you want about John Legere, he is an enthusiastic CEO who really wants to stand out and get things done. Let's face it, the guy can cash out tomorrow and never have to work again and can keep riding his peloton bike and eating from a slow cooker every sunday. He seems to have a good group of people surrounding him like Neville Ray. If John Legere never came aboard, we wouldn't even be talking about T-Mobile right now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,340
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    Say what you want about John Legere, he is an enthusiastic CEO who really wants to stand out and get things done. Let's face it, the guy can cash out tomorrow and never have to work again and can keep riding his peloton bike and eating from a slow cooker every sunday. He seems to have a good group of people surrounding him like Neville Ray. If John Legere never came aboard, we wouldn't even be talking about T-Mobile right now.
    He is quite the guy. A great leader can make all the difference when it comes to business.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,340
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm returning my Note 8 and getting this bad boy!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM
  2. Motorola to launch the first 'world' phone
    By Bratan in forum Motorola
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 06:04 AM
  3. The first wireless phones in Canada with GPS capability.
    By Helmsley in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
  4. What's going to be the first camera phone to come to verizon ?
    By WeneedJapPhones in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks