Thread: Somehow I've activated an old 2g nokia 3586i on bell

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Red face Somehow I've activated an old 2g nokia 3586i on bell

Today I went at a thrift shop and I fell on a Nokia 3586i which runs on the bell network. I bought the phone since I collect those old things and while goofing around with it I noticed it was picking signal and I tried to make a call and it told me to activate my phone at 1-888-4mo-bile but I couldn't call the number, so I went to Bell's site and activated the phone there and everything went fine. at first I couldn't receive calls or text messages but then I realized that bell hadn't taken the money from my credit card like I'd told it to so I fixed that and holy crap guys I have an old 2003 phone activated and working! I can get calls, call people, send and receive text messages, and that's all that matters to me! I'm keeping my android phone around for music and modern programs but otherwise the nokia is now my main phone.

I mean, I'm from quebec and I'd been told the network shut down back in june so I'm really surprised I was able to do this.

I figure this won't last forever, the network will probably even be shut down completely before the end of the year but I'm just damn happy I can get to use such an old phone one last time.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I was under impression only Telus out west had full shutdown of CDMA
    But yeah I am surprised it activated as well
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Feedback Score
    Yeah Bell hasn't shut down CDMA yet, but they've definitely (supposed to have) stopped activating new lines on it. It will be shut down in the next year or two.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Yeah Bell hasn't shut down CDMA yet, but they've definitely (supposed to have) stopped activating new lines on it. It will be shut down in the next year or two.
    I guess I should consider myself lucky then!

Really the only thing that doesn't work on the phone is the minibrowser, after getting the security key it just keeps throwing network unavailable errors, so I can't even check if there's a version of opera mini for it.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know where I could find Xpress-on covers for this phone? it's kind of a dumb question but I've already checked ebay and I couldn't find any.

Device(s)
    Nexus S, Samsung Blackjack i607
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    IIRC, they've only shut down EVDO, which explains why data doesn't work, but voice and text do. That's crazy that they'd let you register it as a new device. Maybe they've left that option open to discreetly serve old customers who are replacing lost/damaged devices. Or, perhaps they just haven't gotten around to shutting off that automated service.

You are giving me nostalgia. I still have a perfectly functional Nokia 2855i here. It's just about the last handheld phone made with an extendable antenna, and it got fantastic reception far deeper into the forest than any other phone that I or any of my acquaintances have had since the rise of smartphones.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just read that 1xrtt can also do data. Isn't there a service menu in series 40 nokia phones where I can change the browser settings so it uses the correct apn settings? because I'm sorta convinced I could make it work that way.

Sure I'd get like 40kb/s speeds but hey, nostalgia!

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    IS95, 1xRTT, and EVDO all will use data

From what I remember about the ancient CDMA phones the settings were accessed through a lock code in service menu
    If you programmed the phone to work (most old CDMA phones required manual programming to input MDN & MSID numbers) you should have access already?

I even remember the really ancient CDMA phones could NOT use a ported number (since no way to have seperate MDN & MSID you always required a carrier assigned phone number lol)

Good ole days

Device(s)
    Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    IS95, 1xRTT, and EVDO all will use data

From what I remember about the ancient CDMA phones the settings were accessed through a lock code in service menu
    If you programmed the phone to work (most old CDMA phones required manual programming to input MDN & MSID numbers) you should have access already?

I even remember the really ancient CDMA phones could NOT use a ported number (since no way to have seperate MDN & MSID you always required a carrier assigned phone number lol)

Good ole days
    I think I found the menu, but I can only enter an ip address and the only info I can find online is bell's APN settings which only is pda.bell.ca, which I can't enter. Does anyone here know the actual ip address?