Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did T-Mobile just make some changes to their LTE in NYC?

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo '01-'07, ATT '07-'17, T-Mo '17-
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I am trying to find the rom and instructions on how to flash it, I'll be definitely trying this. I'll also stop by T-Mobile and discuss the situation. T-Mo has been the one to encourage people to bring their own devices and switch carriers, so this is very uncool what they are doing. Hopefully they can offer some discounts on recent devices, doesn't have to be brand new stuff. I'll also try the phone at the store with their SIM or have them put my wife's SIM in one of their phones to try the service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I agree that T-Mobile could and should have done a much better job of giving customers some advanced warning. This could be done by having the switch ask phones to switch to VoLTE and then UMTS band 4. If both tests failed then send the user a text message.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In NW Queens, WCDMA still up on AWS (I think it's only HSPA+21 now), and GSM still up on PCS (2G EDGE is unusable, data connections timeout). My wife has a Nexus 4 and uses it a lot for calls and no issues. HSPA+ speedtest about 10 Mbps down, 1.7 Mbps up.

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyTunes View Post
    In NW Queens, WCDMA still up on AWS (I think it's only HSPA+21 now), and GSM still up on PCS (2G EDGE is unusable, data connections timeout). My wife has a Nexus 4 and uses it a lot for calls and no issues. HSPA+ speedtest about 10 Mbps down, 1.7 Mbps up.
    Thanks for checking in. I thought Nexus 4 didn't have LTE so the phone automatically must be dialing into HSPA+ which is regular 4G, right?
    Since Note 3 has LTE it seems to connect to a partially working LTE (without voice) and since there is no VoLTE setting on this phone, we are stuck.

I just wiped the device, no luck.
    I slipped her SIM into my old Blackberry Passport (also from AT&T) and it works just fine, and I think this Passport must also be missing some of the LTE bands.

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Update:
    Went to NJ, around Fort Lee area, no problem, not a single issue. Came back home to western queens, can't make calls again.
    Using the code, I have these options
    WCDMA Preferred
    GSM only
    WCDMA only
    GSM auto (PRL)
    CDMA auto (PRL)
    CDMA only
    EvDo only
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE/GSM auto (PRL)
    LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE only
    Unknown

I switch between LTE/GSM auto (PRL) and GSM Only in order to service in various places, is there anything else I can try?

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I've never reflashed a Samsung phone. There may be some folks here who can give you pointers. As I understand it requires you load a Samsung flashing program on your PC and then upload the image to your phone. More than that, I don't know.

On T-Mobile Samsung phones you dial "*#2263#" and the phone drops into a black & white menu that allows you to select different modes and bands. Just selecting "WCDMA Automatic" would confirm if there is any WCDMA/UMTS running in your local area or not.

Using this code, what do you suggest I switch to see if it works, there are a lot of options.

Feedback Score
    Try and connect to WCDMA. If it fails, that means there is either no WCDMA available or that phone is not able to connect to WCDMA on the AWS frequency.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartBB10 View Post
    Update:
    Went to NJ, around Fort Lee area, no problem, not a single issue. Came back home to western queens, can't make calls again.
    Using the code, I have these options
    WCDMA Preferred
    GSM only
    WCDMA only
    GSM auto (PRL)
    CDMA auto (PRL)
    CDMA only
    EvDo only
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE/GSM auto (PRL)
    LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    LTE only
    Unknown

I switch between LTE/GSM auto (PRL) and GSM Only in order to service in various places, is there anything else I can try?
    North/Central Jersey has the same network setups and spectrum holdings as NYC, so there's nothing I can think of that would give you a better experience in NNJ vs NYC.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I think you want the mode to be automatic, which I think is already set the * is what I think indicates current settings). Then set each of the wireless modes to "All" (LTE All, GSM All and WCDMA All).

If for some reason the doesn't work, on the WCDMA screen enable 1700 as that's Band 4. Make sure your settings survive a reboot -- if not you'll need to do a little research on how to make them stick. That alone should fix your calling issues but I'd enable all bands even those like 3/7/IMT2000 that aren't used in the US.

If you need a little guidance, watch this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEs82-BRsNA

I'm an iOS geek, so it's been a long time since I played with a Samsung

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, *#2263# gets you band selection menu.
    I kept trying random settings, is it possible something I did worked? I am able to make calls now.
    The calls don't connect instantly, but I noticed the 4G LTE logo disappears after 2-3 seconds of "Dialing..." and it goes down to just bars with no E or 2G or any other marking, and call connects. Does this mean phone finally knows how to dial down to 2G to make the call when it can't make the calls in LTE?

I installed LTE Discovery so I can tell you which bands I am in, but the app is not working all that well, it takes forever to refresh, it says Carrier T-Mobile (310260) but doesn't give me any other info.

In the *#2263* menu, I tapped LTE/GSM Mode Only and now it shows LTE/GSM Mode Onlyl(*). I selected a random LTE Band, which gave me "emergency calls only" then I went back and picked LTE/GSM ALL. I don't want to go back in again, I don't want to mess with it again. I also hope this is not a fluke, will report back in 1 hour or so, gotta do some work now, or I'll report back tomorrow early morning to see if it still works, if this work wife will be really happy, she didn't want to let go of her Note 3. I guess she won't have data while talking on the phone, but that's a tiny trade-off!

Is there any other app I can use to give you more info, maybe that can help others who face the same problem?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    We'll randomly changing things is not generally my recommendation.

By switching the mode to LTE/GSM you've effectively disabled HSDPA on the phone. Aside from eliminating simultaneous voice and data, you've limited yourself to 2G calling which is of limited capacity these days. You're also likely to have roaming issues without HSDPA (domestic and international).

Me, I'd switch the mode to AUTO (which is LTE/HSDPA/GSM) and enable all bands for each of the modes. That should give you simultaneous voice and data, more robust and available 4G calling and all available roaming options. Your phone appears to fully support T-Mobile, except Band 12 which for most of us in the NY-Metro area isn't a necessity. So why not use it to its fullest potential?

Device(s)
    BB Passport and BB Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    We'll randomly changing things is not generally my recommendation.

By switching the mode to LTE/GSM you've effectively disabled HSDPA on the phone. Aside from eliminating simultaneous voice and data, you've limited yourself to 2G calling which is of limited capacity these days. You're also likely to have roaming issues without HSDPA (domestic and international).

Me, I'd switch the mode to AUTO (which is LTE/HSDPA/GSM) and enable all bands for each of the modes. That should give you simultaneous voice and data, more robust and available 4G calling and all available roaming options. Your phone appears to fully support T-Mobile, except Band 12 which for most of us in the NY-Metro area isn't a necessity. So why not use it to its fullest potential?
    When I switch it back to Auto (during my trials) it would not complete the dialing at all, it's how it was selected in the beginning. (1-Automatic *) I don't know I should be going into each band and select "All" (GSM All, LTE All, WCDMA All) and then going back into Automatic to see if that helps, but honestly I am worried we'll lose the ability to call and we won't get it back again..

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It’s up to you, but I would at least go in and see if you can tell what bands are enabled for each mode. If you can see what bands are enabled, write them down as a record.

Given the redeployment of PCS1900 to LTE in your (and my) home area, you may find you aren’t able to make calls at times due to the constrained capacity of the GSM bandwidth if you only have GSM calling enabled.

At a minimum:
    For your data, T-Mobile uses 2 and 4 for LTE (in addition to 12 which isn’t support) . They also use 5, but only in the Myrtle Beach SC area.

For voice/data on 4G, they use 1700 (AWS) and still use 1900 in some places.

For 2G voice is on 1900, but is pretty limited capacity-wise as much of 1900 is LTE now in the NYC area.

I can’t explain why the auto does work now, but I would try to enable at least the above bands and try AUTO again. If that doesn’t work, try LTE/WCDMA next which will hide you LTE with HSDPA as a fallback for data and for calling. If you can get HSDPA calling working you will be much better off.

What’s in the band preference items? Does that let you prioritize the bands in some way.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It's Tmobile in NYC. I have been having issues for the past two weeks on my qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus. Calls taking awhile to call out, VoLTE issues dropping to HSPA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...n_in_brooklyn/
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    It's Tmobile in NYC. I have been having issues for the past two weeks on my qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus. Calls taking awhile to call out, VoLTE issues dropping to HSPA.....
    At least your phone can fall back to U1700 (WCDMA band-4).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast