Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rogers LTE advanced coverage

Feedback Score

Rogers LTE advanced coverage

On rogers's website it says they support LTE advanced network in major cities like Toronto. But Ive only seen it pop up (LTE+) on my phone in certain areas. Other carriers like Bell and Telus say they have LTE advanced coverage for 80% or more of the population. The coverage maps on the rogers website does not show LTE advanced locations while Bell and Telus show it. It seem like Rogers isn't as focused on the quality of their wireless service like Belus are.

Im just wondering if anyone knows exactly which areas of Toronto have LTE advanced coverage and when we will be seeing advanced coverage live for all areas of the major cities? Why hasn't Rogers enabled advanced network in all areas of the major cities?

coverage maps below

yellow and orange is Rogers.
    purple us Telus.
    green and blue is Bell.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 6.33.53 PM.png
Views: 1066
Size:  1.53 MBName:  Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 6.33.41 PM.png
Views: 1008
Size:  929.9 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 6.33.29 PM.png
Views: 957
Size:  756.1 KB

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Nope, not anywhere close to Bellus.
    Local area had Rogers B4/7/12/17 only for the longest time (no 256QAM, 4x4 MIMO or TM4).
    Recently, they've added B2 in my area and enabled 256QAM, but that is about it.

Bellus, on the other hand, has 256QAM,4x4 MIMO, TM4, and most sites around here have B2/4/5/2x7/17/29/30 with B13 being rapidly deployed alongside B26 in some areas. They also deployed a B40 test network, which has since been taken down.

While Rogers current setup is LTE-A in theory, in practice they force you to B7, which has very few CA combinations on most phones (since the band is only used in Canada in North America). So it ends up being quite slow compared to even Freedom LTE, let alone Bellus.

Feedback Score
    I agree with you and I didn't realize how far behind Rogers was lacking in their networks. I realized this when checking the Bell and Telus website where they provided updated and detailed information towards their networks and coverage in Canada like (LTE advanced). As for Rogers there is nothing written on their website which display any advantageous of choosing their network. The only thing they have to say is that they have the #1 wireless subscribers in Canada thus their network is great. Ive seen ads across Toronto with this saying.

The only reason Im with Rogers is because Im on a $70 corporate plan with unlimited data. If Bell or Telus had unlimited data corporate plans as well i would immediately switch.

Do you have any clue as to when Rogers is gonna upgrade their towers? Does someone have to call them and ask for them to upgrade the nearest tower?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm also on Rogers because of very cheap corporate plans.

Their upgrade strategy, at least here, seems to be upgrading a whole region and enabling it. When B2 was deployed, it suddenly came on on all sites, and the antennas were upgraded in the weeks preceding that. So if they follow the same strategy there, if you seem site antennas being replaced, that's a good sign the whole area will be upgraded soon.

The recent upgrade did make a difference for me, as they made B2 primary unless the B7 signal was very good, which, alongside with the antenna upgrades, doubled the speeds I got in speed tests.

Feedback Score
    Which region are you from? How did you notice that you got B2?

I just checked my phone and Im on band 12, 5 MHZ

I live near downtown Toronto, about 20 min street car ride to the core.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm near downtown Vancouver.
    I just saw the antennas being upgraded, then a few days later I went from close to no signal on B7 to full signal on B2.
    Depending on your device, on Android you can download any app that reads cellid info (if Android 7.0 or higher) or on iPhone dial a special code to get into field test mode.

Feedback Score
    Trueeeeeeeeeeeee

Feedback Score
    Ive just been looking more closely at the Rogers wireless coverage map and it shows what appears to be areas for good indoor and outdoor coverage.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 7.15.35 PM.png
Views: 707
Size:  614.6 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 7.18.33 PM.png
Views: 726
Size:  593.7 KB

Im just wondering if this is an advantage of Rogers's network or does Bell and Telus have this on their network too? I don't seem to find anything about good indoor coverage on their websites.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Bell and telus don't have anything about indoor coverage on their maps at all. Seems to be a Rogers only thing.

I hate how Rogers picks the worst colours for their maps though when zoomed out. Faded light blue on a greyish white map. Not the easiest to see compared to the old maps with dark red and purple which were much more vibrant and better IMO.

Feedback Score
    yea Rogers could've picked the obvious RED for their maps.

So does this mean Rogers has better indoor coverage than Bellus?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Not exactly. Depends on location really. Here in Newfoundland Bell almost always has better indoor coverage just because of the amount of sites they have compared to Rogers but there are some indoor locations I've found here in St. John's that get better Rogers coverage than Bell.

Bell just doesn't advertise it on their site like Rogers does.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

^^Exactly. It's simply a matter of advertising vs not advertising indoor coverage. All carriers use indoor micro sites and/or DAS (distributed antenna systems) in high traffic buildings like shopping malls, hospitals, etc. Some businesses will also sign contracts with specific carriers. For example, my employer's tower in downtown Toronto has a very strong relationship with Telus, so the tower has a Bell DAS, making Bell and Telus indoor coverage superb. Similarly, the IKEA in Vaughan has a Bell DAS so Bell and Telus coverage is great there too. My wife loses signal in some parts of that IKEA on her Rogers iPhone. Another example is the Ontario Science Centre where Telus is one of their sponsors...so Telus has a DAS there making Bell and Telus coverage good there too. My wife and I were there with the kids a few months ago and her Rogers phone camped on Edge (2G) in a lot of the lower levels and she lost signal completely in some spots. My Telus phone had strong LTE signal all over the Science Centre. The Rogers Centre has a Rogers DAS and a Bell DAS so all carriers have good indoor coverage there. In the many indoor locations I've been to around the GTA, I have better signal on my Telus device than my wife has on her Rogers device probably 95% of the time. There are a few locations where she has better signal than me but in those locations, my phone still works fine.
    Last edited by toolcube; 09-06-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    Ahh i see, dissapointed to see Rogers lacking in wireless quality.

Does having an LTE+ coverage mean you get better speeds and quality of service? Im asking this because yesterday i was in the downtown core of Toronto and i was on LTE+, i checked my speeds and it only went to 10 Mbps up and down but i had full bars. This speed test was conducted at 12:30 pm. Im not sure if this is normal for an advanced network.

Anyone on Telus and Bell who have LTE+ most of the time, what average speeds and bars do you get especially in the downtown core of your cities?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak about my speeds in downtown Toronto because I haven't been there recently to test. In the heart of Vaughan, I usually see over 100 Mbps when I have strong/full LTE signal. I average around 60 Mbps in most places around here when signal is not full. My wife on Rogers averages around 20 Mbps in Vaughan. The fastest I've seen her phone achieve was 80 Mbps but that was one time and we were literally about 100 feet away from a Rogers tower. What you're experiencing in downtown Toronto (especially mid-day) is probably normal. There are likely a lot of people using the Rogers network at that time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    LTE+ just means carrier aggregation. Generally, it's B4 and B12 if the signal is high, but you would have to have some sort of field testing tool to confirm.

That gives you about 25Mhz of spectrum that is quite congested, which results in poor speeds as you can see.

If you have a Samsung phone you can dial *#0011# to enter the field test menu to see.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast