Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rogers LTE advanced coverage

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    The thing about Rogers is that you can get disparate results from one site to the next, I can routinely pull >125 mbps off the best sites, using band 7 (probably aggregated with 12 but I have no idea, iOS field test is useless) and others will stay around 35-50 mbps even in optimal conditions (full signal at like 3 am). Rogers has tons of spectrum so they can (and in many instances do) have excellent speeds, but they really need to roll out more CA and fibre backhaul. Bellus has been more consistent with this. Hopefully as Rogers refarms band 2 they will have a broader range of CA combos and will keep moving on fibre.

Device(s)
    S8, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Koodo
    Feedback Score
    LTE+ shows when your total aggregated bandwidth is >20MHz on Samsung phones. B4+B5 on Koodo does not show LTE+ on my S8.

I usually get about 40-100Mbps in downtown YYC on Fido, with band 4+7 as the primary combo; versus 50-120Mbps on Koodo with band 2+7. The difference being Fido is better the higher you go, whereas Koodo is superb in undergrounds: I get full bars 20 stories up on Fido, whereas Koodo will drop down to 1-2 bars, but retains full bars 4 levels underground where Fido will drop to 3G 850.

One thing to keep in mind though, Rogers has to do the work of both Bell and Telus just to keep up with coverage and quality.
    Duwenbasden

- Samsung Galaxy S8 G950FD (FIDO/Koodo) 06/2017 -
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910U 09/2015 -

Feedback Score
    truueeeeee

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here in downtown St. John's during the day I usually get roughly around 50 Mbps download 10 Mbps upload on 20 MHz Band 7 alone or if I'm in an area with CA it's usually aggregating 10 MHz Band 4 and 5 MHz Band 12 so speeds are about the same or slightly better. If Band 7 and Band 4 were made a possible combo here speeds would dramatically improve. Not sure why this hasn't happened.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    PC Mag report just in. Rogers is lagging on average speed by half compared to Bellus...

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/11/f...network-pcmag/

Feedback Score
    i expected Rogers to be a little bit behind Bellus on their speeds but apparently not

Most subscribers in Canada, but where is all this money going?

Feedback Score
    More ways in which Rogers doesn't have the mindset of innovation; The new apple watch which was shown at the Apple X event today has cellular capabilities.

The first carrier in Canada which has worked with apple to enable their service to work with the Apple watch is BELL.
    The next carrier in which will enable service with the watch is TELUS.

They didn't mention anything about Rogers.

Seems like there is a pattern to this bull*****

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 3.15.38 PM.png
Views: 202
Size:  338.9 KB
    Last edited by popperdela; 09-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popperdela View Post
    On rogers's website it says they support LTE advanced network in major cities like Toronto. But Ive only seen it pop up (LTE+) on my phone in certain areas. Other carriers like Bell and Telus say they have LTE advanced coverage for 80% or more of the population. The coverage maps on the rogers website does not show LTE advanced locations while Bell and Telus show it. It seem like Rogers isn't as focused on the quality of their wireless service like Belus are.

Im just wondering if anyone knows exactly which areas of Toronto have LTE advanced coverage and when we will be seeing advanced coverage live for all areas of the major cities? Why hasn't Rogers enabled advanced network in all areas of the major cities?

coverage maps below

yellow and orange is Rogers.
    purple us Telus.
    green and blue is Bell.

Attachment 153649Attachment 153650Attachment 153651
    So, just to clarify, does LTE+ actually show using Rogers/Fido? I always assumed they just didn't use the + indicator to show advanced, but I'm starting to think I'm just never in a + area. When I was with Bell (Virgin), my phone almost ALWAYS showed LTE+ and the speeds were always very fast. With Fido, I can't remember ever seeing LTE+ once, in fact I often see HSPA. Maybe it's something to do with Rogers having horrible coverage all throughout Alberta. Heck, even my Freedom LTE line usually outperforms Rogers here in Calgary. When I venture to Okotoks, the network is so horribly congested across LTE and 3G it's unusable most of the day with average speeds below 3Mbps (often lower). I don't get how Rogers justifies charging almost the same as Bell/Telus, unless you have a discounted rate with them, you're getting ripped off!

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Feedback Score
    Name:  Screenshot_20170912-111739.png
Views: 205
Size:  1.25 MB

Device: Galaxy s8
    Provider: Rogers
    Speeds: Shiiit

Feedback Score
    ^Oh wow that's worse then Freedom's 3G Network.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Most subscribers in Canada, but where is all this money going?
    The money is going to:

1. Cover the cost of the NHL agreement
    2. The purchase of 700MHz spectrum, for which they significantly over-paid
    3. The Blue Jays
    4. Cover the cost of their failed IPTV effort
    ...and...
    5. Into the pockets of their execs

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Rogers needs to put more work in the GTA, IMO but the PCMag results are promising for them in the west, which they seem to be moving faster with 256 QAM and 3x CA. They have a great spectrum portfolio and to me it's still evident that they provide a good quality service. I do prefer using Telus for peak speeds generally (and solid ping times) but for most users, in terms of what they notice, the difference is fairly negligible. I would also agree some of the stagnation on wireless (far and away their crown jewel) is to pay for some questionable management decisions in their other business sectors (though it seems like with DOCSIS 3.0 and getting Comcast's cable tech, they may be getting more on track).

Also I think Rogers has been innovative on lots: widespread ipv6 deployment, VoLTE, Wi-fi calling, name display, RCS, unison, and RLH (though not a tech innovation)

Device(s)
    ZTE Grand X 4
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    Rogers needs to put more work in the GTA, IMO but the PCMag results are promising for them in the west, which they seem to be moving faster with 256 QAM and 3x CA.
    The problem with Rogers out west, in Alberta at least, is that they invested in their network in big cities (Calgary, Edmonton) but they're horrible everywhere else. When leaving the city limits with my Fido sim, the LTE slows to a crawl, drops to 3G, and then either drops to EDGE or EXT (Telus). The Rogers 3G network in rural Alberta in my experience is basically the same as No Service, data wise. Going the same route using the same phone with a Bell sim, I hold decently fast LTE for a long time, occasionally drop to 3G, but usually the phone in will hop back on LTE within a couple of minutes.

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Honestly if anyone is not on a Corporate plan with Rogers, they should just go to Bell or Telus or one of their smaller carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Honestly if anyone is not on a Corporate plan with Rogers, they should just go to Bell or Telus or one of their smaller carriers.
    Been there done that. Lol. Their prices are too ridiculous for me to justify it. Here in NL Rogers bundle prices are awesome, speeds are more than fast enough for what I need and they roam on Bell outside of their coverage area free of charge. Plus I always have gotten deals in store here better than their advertised prices online on phones & even cases.

Not sure that I'd be so quick to count Rogers out as an option completely! Just my 2 cents!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast