Thread: Get better signal in buildings?

Feedback Score

Get better signal in buildings?

Outside of my school I get 3-4 bars of LTE but as soon a I step inside I get 1 bar of 4G or the dreaded No Service does anybody have any solutions

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philipjr View Post
    Outside of my school I get 3-4 bars of LTE but as soon a I step inside I get 1 bar of 4G or the dreaded No Service does anybody have any solutions
    That would depend on your phone your using. If your using a newer device like an iPhone 6/7 Galaxy S6/7/8 which should have all the necessary bands etc. Other than changing your mobile carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    My high school was the same way. A friend of mine on the forums pointed out to me that the windows have a reflective UV shield which in a sense blocks out RF signals period. Outdoors I get a -80 B30 signal but if I go one door in I'm down to a -98 B4 signal and another door I'm locked on B12. No real solutions to the problem. Which kind of phone do you have?

Feedback Score
    There are solutions but not anything you can legally do. Illegally would be a different story. School either intentionally blocks out cellphones which is quite possible or there is building materials on the windows preventing the signal from coming in which is also quite possible.

Only way would be to install a repeater/ signal extender type equipment in the school to bypass the obstruction or disable the cell phone jammer in the vicinity which may also exist.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    There are solutions but not anything you can legally do. Illegally would be a different story. School either intentionally blocks out cellphones which is quite possible or there is building materials on the windows preventing the signal from coming in which is also quite possible.

Only way would be to install a repeater/ signal extender type equipment in the school to bypass the obstruction or disable the cell phone jammer in the vicinity which may also exist.
    I would doubt it's a cell jammer. If it is OP should call the FCC as that is illegal. It may be an old brick school building.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    I would doubt it's a cell jammer. If it is OP should call the FCC as that is illegal. It may be an old brick school building.

There have been lots of stories of cell phone jammers being used by school districts or even school teachers themselves. So I would not discount this as a possibility at all. FCC did go after a science teacher who placed a jammer in a classroom, so if a jammer is being used, you could try an FCC complaint.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The most realistic solution is to see if another provider works, because installing equipment like the MicroCell, MetroCell, or signal boosters/repeaters would require the school to be willing to install such equipment on the premises.

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 7+ and the school was built in 1971

Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 7+ and the school was built in 1971
    Ask around and find out if anyone has good signal. One carrier may be better than another with a closer cell or better low band signal.

Try turning off LTE (if you can on an iPhone).

A building built in 1971 probably doesn't have fancy coatings on the windows unless the original windows have been replaced. The coatings are for thermal purposes, but also block radio signal. Brick, concrete, stone, steel do a pretty good job of blocking radio signal.

It is very unlikely anyone is running a jammer. They are very illegal even for the government to use.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The building I work in is wrapped in metal. I get about 3 bars of LTE outside, but once I enter the building the signal fades to no service. All the carriers have this issue with the building. I need to be by a window to get a signal.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Same thing with my kids schools. Different schools. Once you step foot in the buildings, you are struggling to get any kind of signal, unless you a right by some window. Folks think they are blocking it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    The building I work in is wrapped in metal. I get about 3 bars of LTE outside, but once I enter the building the signal fades to no service. All the carriers have this issue with the building. I need to be by a window to get a signal.
    It's easier to fix if it's a privately owned building as you can contact the building owner and the cellphone carrier to work out a solution.

Medical buildings tend to restrict signals intentionally since it can interfere with equipment and so some types of buildings may be restricted. But in non restricted buildings where signal can't penetrate, those can all be resolved with cooperation of the building owner and/or the cellular carrier.

Wasn't too long ago the NYC Underground subway was totally blocked out. Only in recent times did they fix the station dead spots so that now AT&T and other wireless carriers and Wifi work there.

Good carriers try to make services accessible to blacked out areas when they can. I see this improving with AT&T especially on the east coast where they seem to be best of breed. New towers in NYC apparently as well as new towers in North Carolina and Virginia and even improvements outside those areas such as Indiana as well as other places.
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 09-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    New towers in Virginia? There hasn’t been a new tower that AT&T is on in my area in over 5 years.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Find out if others at the school get more reliable signal with other carriers. That's the reason I had to leave Sprint and Cricket. I was substituting last year and multiple schools had either no signal or poor signal with no usable data (one bar of 4G, for example). Often it comes down to a carrier having a much closer cell tower.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    does the school offer wifi? if so, wifi calling is an option!