Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TMobile Coverage Out West - California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado..

Feedback Score

TMobile Coverage Out West - California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado..

TMobile is making a big deal out of coverage expansion by the end of the year in rural areas out West. I see Phase 1 of the 600 mhz deployment seems to be targeted right where some of the biggest gaps in coverage are (completion of Phase 1, 11/30/2018). So this is an interesting time to see if TMobile finally can compete in areas where fewer people live, but where many people travel and need coverage when on the move.

So I am wondering what people's experience is right now (9/2017) and to the extent improvement is needed where it happens in the coming months. I am particularly interested in California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado as that is where I travel frequently and why I have stayed with Verizon.

I assume Band 12 deployment is what will be making the biggest difference through the end of 2017 with 600 mhz beginning to have an impact by the end of 2018. I am not only interested in getting a sense of where there is and where there is not 4G coverage but also where capacity is or is not good. Can you use a maps app and stream music with some level of confidence for example.

Areas that I would like to see good coverage are Routes 50, 395, 120, 49, 20, 4 and 89 in California / Routes 50, 6, 95, 376, 361 in Nevada / Routes 50, 21, 56, 18, 89, 12, and 191 in Utah / Routes 50, 550, 160, 285, 40, and 34 in Colorado and I welcome any evidence of coverage off road or on trail in any areas where people would like to offer testimonials of kick a*s service where you least expect it. For example, Death Valley service has greatly improved on Verizon and TMobile's coverage maps show it could be very good too, so I welcome the good and the bad and as many first hand accounts as people can offer.

So how good is TMobile right now when you hit the road and hit the trail out West. Is TMobile closing the gap with Verizon in rural coverage ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well... I can only speak for California, and coverage is decent... But I haven't been in rural NorCal in a while. It appears that highways like 89 are still complete holes. Check Sensorly or Cell Mapper for coverage.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Sensorly can be good, but it is incomplete very often partiuclarly as you get away from urban areas, although I do reference it. For example it does not show service in Death Valley - which I know from personal experience is quite good now with Verizon LTE available in many parts of the Valley that was not the case a couple of years ago. As mentioned the TMobile coverage maps show that it is or will be covered by the end of the year, so I am curious if anyone has put TMobile to the test in Death Valley and any other National Park/BLM wilderness areas. Good coverage in these areas will be a clear sign that TMobile is catching up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From my personal experience... More users on TMobile and At&t have contributed to Sensorly and Cell Mapper than Verizon or Sprint...(at least in my area). Sprints maps in areas that are listed as fair/marginal are not always accurate. I'd recommend using TMobiles street level coverage and can assume useable service where it shows at least their middle level of pink. If you're travelling a lot, you might want to look into a Wilson vehicle antenna.

Feedback Score
    I'm originally from the Bay Area and was there visiting a few months ago. Went up to Placerville on highway 50 and a lot of scenic back roads/highways to and from SF. Coverage was great the whole way; just as good as my ATT phone and better in some places. Same thing down to Yosemite except that the time there was no coverage in the park. I hear the new T-Mo coverage is live now but once you leave Mariposa there will still be no service until you get the Yosemite. Same as other carriers though.

The only place I noticed congestion was in Oakland and it wasn't bad. IIRC, I was still getting about 5 Mbps down at worst. SF proper was surprisingly fast with no noticeable congestion in various parts of the city. There was even service in most of the underground BART sections. Much better than a few years ago,

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Highway 50 should be fine, as well as most larger highways. 49 by Camptonville, I have my doubts. As with a lot of these roads, location is everything. Even 395 will have some dead spots

Feedback Score
    My .02 cents: I live in Sacramento and travel from Bay Area/SF to the north all the way to Crescent City. To the East, I travel our Sierra's on both Hwy 50 and I80 into Reno and down 395 South to Bridgeport. The coverage I get with T-Mo is very good and I;m talking some boonies area North of Ft. Bragg to Guerneville, to North up to Eureka/Fortuna. Even 299 going East to Redding has decent coverage in many areas and around the same as Att/Verizon. Everything North of Sac on the I5 to Mt Shasta on up to Weed is good. Things start to get a bit shaky when heading North of Burney up to Alturas, but then so does Att/Verizon. Around 3 years ago, these rural areas were Att/Verizon only (forget Sprint), but now T-Mo signals are very good as is the data. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that T-Mo has really upped their game as I like the network and plan to stay for awhile.
    Some of my travels in N. Cal are business and the rest is kayaking/rv camping/photography/hiking. What's funny is that some of our mt peaks areas show no coverage on a map, but if above timberline with out trees blocking, I can usually pick up a signal.

Feedback Score
    jimxx200 - Thank you, that is just the kind of feedback in the backroad areas that I was hoping to get an accurate sense of coverage currently. I was reading some articles on Tidbits and a Mountain Biking Forum about the 55+ discount, and there were a couple of people who have hit the trails in the Southern Eastern Sierra and Death Valley that said they were seeing coverage now in areas where it did not exist two or three years ago. It really sounds like T Mobile has been taking rural coverage seriously and the 600 mhz deployment has the potential to make for a first class network in the next couple of years. In the meantime it may be good enough to jump in, but I will hang onto my Verizon plan for a couple of months while I test TMobile. I am still doing my due diligence which takes some time when it comes to nailing down all the details and variables that one needs to consider when changing plans or carriers. I sure hope other people will add their personal experiences with coverage.

Glad to hear 50 is solid between Sacramento and Tahoe and I hope they have some low band 700/600 planned for the other Sierra routes 88, 4, and 108. Still 395 sounds like there has been major improvement.

I also appreciate the reports regarding the Bay Area and BART. I use BART quite a bit and Verizon is very good except during rush hour on a ten car train going through the tube, although recently it seems things may have improved. Another area where TMobile coverage looks sparse is the Santa Cruz Mountains. I hope that is an area that is seeing improvement and would welcome some first hand accounts from people who live or hike out in the parks like Big Basin Redwoods/Ano Nuevo and the coast between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. North of the Bay Area in Marin and out to Pt. Reyes it looks like coverage is pretty good, but I have not heard any first hand accounts.

Feedback Score
    This roll out in the area will be very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Hopefully they roll out some cheap phones since there is already a 600 tower up in Maine but no phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoobodeebop View Post
    jimxx200 - Thank you, that is just the kind of feedback in the backroad areas that I was hoping to get an accurate sense of coverage currently. I was reading some articles on Tidbits and a Mountain Biking Forum about the 55+ discount, and there were a couple of people who have hit the trails in the Southern Eastern Sierra and Death Valley that said they were seeing coverage now in areas where it did not exist two or three years ago. It really sounds like T Mobile has been taking rural coverage seriously and the 600 mhz deployment has the potential to make for a first class network in the next couple of years. In the meantime it may be good enough to jump in, but I will hang onto my Verizon plan for a couple of months while I test TMobile. I am still doing my due diligence which takes some time when it comes to nailing down all the details and variables that one needs to consider when changing plans or carriers. I sure hope other people will add their personal experiences with coverage.

Glad to hear 50 is solid between Sacramento and Tahoe and I hope they have some low band 700/600 planned for the other Sierra routes 88, 4, and 108. Still 395 sounds like there has been major improvement.

I also appreciate the reports regarding the Bay Area and BART. I use BART quite a bit and Verizon is very good except during rush hour on a ten car train going through the tube, although recently it seems things may have improved. Another area where TMobile coverage looks sparse is the Santa Cruz Mountains. I hope that is an area that is seeing improvement and would welcome some first hand accounts from people who live or hike out in the parks like Big Basin Redwoods/Ano Nuevo and the coast between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. North of the Bay Area in Marin and out to Pt. Reyes it looks like coverage is pretty good, but I have not heard any first hand accounts.
    Last time I was on the BART to (Oakland City Center) was last December and my iPhone 7 would drop to 4G at times. Service was useable but a little slower than I was used to.

It's been almost a year so though. T-Mobile was having data capacity issues in parts of the Bay (San Fran proper) but I hear things have gotten much better.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    US 50 from Colorado Springs to Utah - Co. Spgs to Pueblo (I-25), good. Get up canyon (US 50) - not good at all. No signal in Salida. Salida to Gunnison - not much until you get to Gunnison. Gunnison to Montrose much the same. Good in Montrose. Montrose to Grand Junction - not much in between. Grand Junction - good.

I-70 to Utah 128, nothing or emergency only. UT 128 to Moab - nothing until you get to Moab.

Did find some Edge last year in the mountains, but it's gone this year

The way Moab has grown, TMO should rethink some kind of signal on I-70, and maybe a better or more towers in the LaSals. The old rule was "if you can't see the LaSals, you have NO reception. You can see the LaSals on parts of UT 313 to Canyonlands, and in parts of Canyonlands itself. Some overlooks in Arches are the same way. Tourist season seems to go all year there, now.

TMO can't expect everyone to go with Verizon. I'd rather go without a signal than use V.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoobodeebop View Post
    .....So how good is TMobile right now when you hit the road and hit the trail out West. Is TMobile closing the gap with Verizon in rural coverage ?
    I'd keep a backup phone on an MVNO that uses AT&T's or Verizon's signals (e.g. PagePlus; GoPhone)
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetshark View Post
    US 50 from Colorado Springs to Utah - Co. Spgs to Pueblo (I-25), good. Get up canyon (US 50) - not good at all. No signal in Salida. Salida to Gunnison - not much until you get to Gunnison. Gunnison to Montrose much the same. Good in Montrose. Montrose to Grand Junction - not much in between. Grand Junction - good.

I-70 to Utah 128, nothing or emergency only. UT 128 to Moab - nothing until you get to Moab.

Did find some Edge last year in the mountains, but it's gone this year

The way Moab has grown, TMO should rethink some kind of signal on I-70, and maybe a better or more towers in the LaSals. The old rule was "if you can't see the LaSals, you have NO reception. You can see the LaSals on parts of UT 313 to Canyonlands, and in parts of Canyonlands itself. Some overlooks in Arches are the same way. Tourist season seems to go all year there, now.

TMO can't expect everyone to go with Verizon. I'd rather go without a signal than use V.
    I feel the same way. Would rather not have a cellphone if I had to choose that or verizon. I'll choose no cellphone in that case
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I feel the same way. Would rather not have a cellphone if I had to choose that or verizon. I'll choose no cellphone in that case
    I'd go with AT&T instead, rather than deal with Verizon's stone-age CDMA and their brutal unlocking policy. Despite the superior coverage, and irrespective of the pricre issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast