Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TMobile Coverage Out West - California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'd go with AT&T instead, rather than deal with Verizon's stone-age CDMA and their brutal unlocking policy. Despite the superior coverage, and irrespective of the pricre issue.
    Are you referring to sim unlock or bootloader? Because as far sim unlocked all Verizon postpaid devices are sold unlocked. This was agreed upon with Verizon getting band 13. I've used a few Verizon devices on T-Mobile and all worked fine. Completely unlocked out of the box. They used to lock 3g box phones they sold on prepaid for a year, but even their prepaid unlock policy is one of the better ones. Basically you have to load 70 dollars on the account and they will give you an unlock code, this is better than tmobiles own unlocking policy even, especially at the discounted rates they sell their prepaid box phones at. I know a few people who bought the prepaid Moto e4 from Verizon prepaid for 40 bucks and paid 3 dollars to unlock it and they are using it on T-Mobile just fine, even picks up band 12, even if they decided to pay the 70 dollars and have Verizon unlock it 110 dollars for an unlocked e4 is cheaper than Moto sells the unlocked version for, and their is almost no difference between the unlocked e4 and the Verizon variant. Just a few Verizon apps you can easily disable, both versions support the same bands, both will work on any carrier. I agree back in the 3g days Verizon had a terrible unlocking policy, but right now it's the best in the business, all postpaid phones are sold sim unlocked and prepaid box phones only require a 70 dollar payment. Most prepaid carriers have an exact time limit as their only option. Some of the older devices you may run into compatability issues with, but the newer ones all support GSM voice and have the bands for T-Mobile lte. This is why companies like Sprint with their free year promo generally advertise bring your Verizon phone over, if it's a newer device it's already unlocked out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksych1 View Post
    Are you referring to sim unlock or bootloader? Because as far sim unlocked all Verizon postpaid devices are sold unlocked.
    Yes, I don't know what he's talking about either.

47 CFR 27.16 which applies to the authorizations for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands clearly states:

(e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    I'd go with AT&T instead, rather than deal with Verizon's stone-age CDMA and their brutal unlocking policy. Despite the superior coverage, and irrespective of the pricre issue.
    Well it's going to be the stone-age VZW CDMA network that's going to make the difference between completing a call in the rural west and not being able to complete a call. If my concern was being able to make calls in the most rural places in the western U.S I would absolutely carry a prepaid VZW (or VZW MVNO) with me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think at&t has built out quite a bit in the rural west. This is not like it was 10 years ago

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Anyone see T-Mobile eventually eclipsing the coverage geographically from the Big 2?

As it is how does T-Mobile compare to it's rival AT&T in terms of LTE coverage? The gap keeps closing and I don't think it's as far fetched as some people make it out to be especially with T-Mobile's plan to collocate to achieve coverage parity.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Geographic coverage I can see becoming similar. Do I think it will have the same coverage indoor - probably not. Rural T-Mobile has typically worked well for me, but becomes useless indoor. At&t has typically had more rural sites where I've been. E.g. nearby for me, At&t and VZW both have small cells. TMobile claims to have service... But doesn't. I've been fighting them on their claims for 2 years now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I think at&t has built out quite a bit in the rural west. This is not like it was 10 years ago

A lot of which came from their acquisition of some former ALLTEL sites. However, since then native at&t coverage expansion into truly rural areas in the western U.S has been very, very slow. Meanwhile VZW has deployed (and is continuing to deploy) significant rural assets and T-Mobile has started as well (albeit they are still in catching up mode). There are growing number of areas in Utah where T-Mobile has sites but at&t does not (of course there are other areas where the opposite is true) but it's time that at&t not just slap capacity on existing sites but starts new site builds.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6, Z-917, Mobley
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It would be nice to see some coverage from T-Mobile along Nevada 233 / Utah 30. AT&T has service in Montello, NV, but for a lot of those areas there isn't anything. Lots of truckers and travelers use that route.
    Full-Time RV Family - Grand Design Momentum 385TH - RAM 3500
    Editor - www.RVGunner.com and www.RAMGunner.com
    FCC Extra-class Ham Radio License, FCC GMRS License

Feedback Score
    I don't call a $70 unlock fee the best unlocking policy in the business.

Feedback Score
    I don't call a $70 unlock fee the best unlocking policy in the business.
    It's not a 70 dollar unlocking fee. It's 70 dollars in service fees they recoup for selling a device at such a deeply discounted subsidized rate. You can also go third party and unlock for 2-3 dollars if you choose. I'll use the e4 as an example. On Verizon prepaid it's 39 bucks. If you want it unlocked asap through Verizon you have to load at least 70 dollars onto the account. Now let's look at metro Pcs, they also sell the e4, it's 49 dollars for new customers. If you want it unlocked asap through metro pcs no dice, you must wait 90 days. Only other option is a 3rd party unlocker. Cheapest you will pay for 90 days of service with metro is 90 dollars, so yea, Verizon prepaid unlocking policy is much better than tmobile with metro pcs, and as said all their postpaid devices are sold unlocked out of the box. You can bash Verizon on a lot of things, but their unlocking policies isn't one of them. It's one of the better policies out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2