Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Verizon - next steps (recommended)

Feedback Score
    Covering Amtrak would be a good way to go. Just like the carriers do with the subway systems.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Covering Amtrak would be a good way to go. Just like the carriers do with the subway systems.
    It's a very different situation. Transitwireless is a carrier-neutral DAS with a central radio site for all of the carriers, where the signals are then muxed and fiber fronthauled to the stations for individual phones. The Amtrak deployment was on existing steel in the air, specifically for on-train Wi-Fi on Amtrak, as virtually no one even had LTE devices at the time. That deployment eventually just got eaten up into the LTE network, and now there is LTE everywhere.

Either way, it's good to focus on train stations and trains as much as airports, but the technology is totally different all around.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    In terms of geographic areas, what is with that giant hole in Texas west of the triangle? They couldn't just fill the thing in? It's relatively flat, it shouldn't be hard to cover. Snowshoe, WV? AT&T is running a DAS there that complies with the NRQZ rules, even though it's a Verizon market in DC, and those are the folks who are mostly frequenting Snowshoe. Now AT&T has a massive selling point over Verizon for people who vacation there.
    I liked your whole post. This is the bit I think the carriers miss. In my home area of Eugene Oregon, 100% of the community (unless so sick as to not travel at all) at least occassionally visit the Oregon coast. We can drive 45 minutes and be on the beach. We may get away less than we think we do, or less than we'd like but we do go to the beach. The only twitter account I ever had (briefly, now closed) was to try and tweet John Legere about the fact that T-Mobile is the only national carrier with zero coverage between Eugene and Florence Oregon (beach).

It doesn't matter which carrier- one needs to realize there are what I'd call connected markets just as you describe. Places where everyone in your community at least occassionally goes for vacation etc. It simply isn't that hard. To be a great carrier, you do need to cover places people live and work, but you also need to think about the common 'get-aways' that folks routinely do-- especially if the competition has those places covered.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I liked your whole post. This is the bit I think the carriers miss. In my home area of Eugene Oregon, 100% of the community (unless so sick as to not travel at all) at least occassionally visit the Oregon coast. We can drive 45 minutes and be on the beach. We may get away less than we think we do, or less than we'd like but we do go to the beach. The only twitter account I ever had (briefly, now closed) was to try and tweet John Legere about the fact that T-Mobile is the only national carrier with zero coverage between Eugene and Florence Oregon (beach).

It doesn't matter which carrier- one needs to realize there are what I'd call connected markets just as you describe. Places where everyone in your community at least occassionally goes for vacation etc. It simply isn't that hard. To be a great carrier, you do need to cover places people live and work, but you also need to think about the common 'get-aways' that folks routinely do-- especially if the competition has those places covered.

-Dan
    Thanks! Yeah, Snowshoe is a one-off weird situation with the NRQZ, but it illustrates a point that if someone goes on vacation somewhere semi-frequently, and there's no service there, that makes a HUGE impression on them. The time when they want their phone the most, they have nothing. I've traveled enough with people with Verizon to know that it's truly six of one and half a dozen of the other, so I don't feel good or bad when one works and one doesn't, although just to technology-proof myself, I'm thinking of getting a line with Xfinity Mobile with pay per GB so I'd have a Verizon line plus my normal AT&T phone. Either that or a VZ TF SIM in a Moto E.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2