Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon - next steps (recommended)

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Verizon - next steps (recommended)

Verizon has spectrum virtually everywhere. They might start building native where they roam today. This would reduce their roaming cost, but more importantly give them good (native) data speeds. For example, I'd love them to build everywhere US Cellular has coverage today. These are sore spots because while roaming exists and voice and text work, data is close to in-op.

They're known as the coverage leader. T-Mobile is apparently challenging this -- I say "apparently" only in that I haven't witnessed this here in Oregon but I am assured they're building their coverage (and I believe reports in these forums).

Also- I'd love to see Verizon make selective investments in new coverage. Where do people vacation/camp/ski and do they have coverage there? Pick some spots where they don't know and build.

Anyway, apparently there's plausable deniability that Verizon still owns their key advantage at least in some markets. I'd guess they are already working spectrum plans (carrier aggregation, decomisson CDMA, refarm etc.) but it's the geographic coverage that they historically owned that is in question (at least in some areas). So if T-Mobile can do it, I'm sure Verizon can.

-Dan

PS/FYI- I don't care too deeply. The day someone like T-Mobile or anyone else for that matter has better coverage for me, I'll just switch.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I would like to see them build out more of Texas where there's zero CDMA coverage of any kind, and build out Western, IL where it's USCC 1x roaming. I really don't have much to complain about TBH, they already out cover or at least match other carriers everywhere I've been so far. What I would like to see is more densification and carrier adds in existing locations.

I would be surprised if T-Mobile matches them anytime soon, I feel there's a lot of super remote locations they won't bother with that only Verizon will cover. But who knows, anything can happen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    PS/FYI- I don't care too deeply. The day someone like T-Mobile or anyone else for that matter has better coverage for me, I'll just switch.
    This is refreshing. I wish more people here realized wireless carriers aren't a religion. I've used all 4 carriers at one point or another.

It makes sense to use what works best for you and not shame others for not using what you do, like many people here do.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless - AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    The only things Verizon Wireless needs to do is ..
    1.) Keep up with demand. The LTE icon is great to see but useless if its slow.
    2.) Overlay their 1x/3G network with LTE. 1x/3G is better than nothing and certainly better than in my few examples with AT&T and T-Mobile. I haven't checked the map yet but I bet it's covered in a purple blob. I know you can't show some light brown or whatever it is when you are covering homes which cost from $1.4 million and up but please either cover the area in LTE or change the color of the map.

Feedback Score

I can't think of anything Verizon is doing extra bad at or something they should be doing that they haven't begun already.

Still the biggest and most reliable network...Yawn, Snore.

They should address areas getting less than 20Mbps on LTE. I am sure they have metrics to tell them where those areas are. Never did hear what became of XLTE.

They should have a Mark the Spot App and forward the information directly to the Network Engineers.

Verizon does have a loyal customer base. Maybe they should give us some free hats or Pizza or something.
    (Not talking about Verizon Up unless it has Pizza )

I would say they should lower our bills, but quality costs something and discounting stuff like a budget carrier might not be a good route to take.

Keep on upping the speeds, keep covering more remote areas, (upgrade the NYC Network every other day while ignoring the rest of the country) and free pizza and hats and shirts and mugs is all I can think of.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post

They should have a Mark the Spot App and forward the information directly to the Network Engineers.
    Based on my experience Verizon has a better system of reporting network issues than even AT&T with its super convenient mark the spot app. I reported some issues recently and once I got through to tier 2 they made a network ticket for me with no constant battling about it not being a device issue for starters. When it came time to follow up, someone from the social media team decided to give me a call when I complained a second time on Twitter who happened to be based out of their Darien, IL office. She had a pretty decent set of tools in front of her for not being an engineer, including a way to message the local engineering team directly and get responses back right away. She also had the ability to look at specific areas and see prior complaints in the area and what Engineering's response to it was, which was interesting...

Bottom line is I got far more useful info out of Verizon in two phone calls than I did out of AT&T in years of filing tickets and escalating them as high up the chain as I could get them. And I spoke with an engineer about Mark The Spot and was basically told that goes ignored until they happen to do upgrades in an area then will happen to look at the feedback and respond accordingly. So if they have no plans or don't think there's an issue, the app is useless. If they happen to already be working on something or already have plans to upgrade something you will hear back on the app, so it makes it seem like they're listening. I also heard that network tickets pretty much do not make it to the engineers, which correlates perfectly with what I experienced.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Some Verizon aspects irritate me but I'll have to say it's a well oiled machine. Out of all the carriers when you call Verizon they seem to really get things done (usually).

Out of all the carriers (att a close 2nd) they seem to be the one that likes and doesn't downplay the need for solid backup power initiatives to the towers.

I also like the widespread amount of lte they have. Although it does seem like TMobile is nipping at their heels in that aspect

Verizon seems to take network management serious and a Verizon phone can often make usable calls in some far out places. That cdma reach is hard to beat

Their next steps should be more spectrum, more density, and things to get the data reliability and speed up.

Read an article that said data speeds were a factor for many so speeds seem very important for some

Almost 430 and I can't sleep and forgot what else I was going to say

Feedback Score
    I agree that expanding throughout Texas would be welcome. I couldn't get away from T-Mobile fast enough 8 years ago. Vast dead spots in Texas then. Verizon has at least been better than that and has not left me with no GPS in the middle of nowhere. My only complaint is the speeds/coverage are just enough to function. Suppose it could be worse.

My parents have never had problems (that they would notice) with USCC throughout the country. Maybe they have really good roaming agreements.

However, it is not as easy for some to switch carriers as others. I think I will start investing in unlocked phones from now on to be better able to migrate when better solutions come along.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    While I can only speak for one region (Northeast) I see their plan in the following parts:

Densification through mainly small cells, with some macros sprinkled in for capacity. They're trying hard to shore up the areas they're already performing well in as well as laying the groundwork for future upgrades in mmWave. Part of this also includes creating a robust fiber backhaul network to solidify the infrastructure. Other carriers may be working towards the same in terms of the fiber but Verizon seems to be the most committed to this seemingly boring but very important aspect of the network.

Carrier adds, which are still needed in lots of areas. They seem committed to deploying B13 and B4 at minimum across the country using the most up to date equipment which includes 4x4 MIMO. Outside of the metro areas which typically get a lot of love they've been overhauling sites in rural areas and prepping themselves for whenever they add B2 and B5. I'm not sure why they're not always adding B2 on new towers but that will help once they add that carrier. Same with B5 but I expect more of a widespread rollout of that starting next year.

They are expanding with new macros in parts of rural NY but I can't speak for the rest of the country so there is a slow but steady expansion of coverage going on. This seems like a lesser concern than the other two I mentioned but there's only so much CapEx to go around and macros are obviously more expensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    While I can only speak for one region (Northeast) I see their plan in the following parts:
    They are expanding with new macros in parts of rural NY but I can't speak for the rest of the country so there is a slow but steady expansion of coverage going on. This seems like a lesser concern than the other two I mentioned but there's only so much CapEx to go around and macros are obviously more expensive.
    They need more macros south of Albany! Very poor coverage along amtracks route until you get closer to NYC area.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There's definitely some coming in that area although south of Albany is a large area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    There's definitely some coming in that area although south of Albany is a large area.
    I'm just going off my experience along the Empire Service line. South of Albany was frequently dropping to 3G or 1x with useless data service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    I'm just going off my experience along the Empire Service line. South of Albany was frequently dropping to 3G or 1x with useless data service.
    Isn't cell service in a train a bit spotty because the cell sites are optimized for highways and population centers?

Feedback Score
    Isn't cell service in a train a bit spotty because the cell sites are optimized for highways and population centers?
    True but it would be nice if they made the train lines a target too. Maybe with small cells all along the tracks??

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    I think both AT&T and Verizon have failed bigtime in geographical coverage expansion over the last decade or more. They humpty-dumpty'ed together networks from a zillion various companies, roaming agreements, LTEiRA, etc, but neither is completely dominant everywhere. Verizon has followed through with network upgrades like 3G and LTE, versus AT&T, which for a long time had areas where you could jump from LTE to GSM, and seems to get distracted by every new upgrade and forget about finishing whatever they were doing before.

Both carriers have some pretty embarrassing coverage gaps, and neither has really pushed coverage out into more and more rural areas in the past few years. I'd like to see a plan to cover every public road in the US with cell service, but we're nowhere close, and there are still giant dead zones for both carriers. Further, Verizon still has a thin network in some areas, like a major tourist attraction around here, the Mystic Aquarium, where they have very weak/poor indoor coverage, and AT&T and T-Mobile have a mono-flag nearby that keeps everything cruising along indoors.

In terms of geographic areas, what is with that giant hole in Texas west of the triangle? They couldn't just fill the thing in? It's relatively flat, it shouldn't be hard to cover. Snowshoe, WV? AT&T is running a DAS there that complies with the NRQZ rules, even though it's a Verizon market in DC, and those are the folks who are mostly frequenting Snowshoe. Now AT&T has a massive selling point over Verizon for people who vacation there.

One place where Verizon has done well with new/overbuild coverage is Downeast Maine. They still don't have quite the coverage that AT&T has, but they've done a pretty significant LTE buildout through Wireless Partners LLC, which is certainly an improvement over USCC roaming where you effectively have no data service. They have gotten into Alaska, although they still don't have anywhere near the coverage that AT&T has. Back in 2012, their service up there was actually pretty good through ACS roaming, although clearly EVDO couldn't keep up today.

I'm still kind of baffled as to why there are parts of Northern New Hampshire that have absolutely no cell coverage from anyone, as well as towns here and there that have nothing or very limited service from any carrier.

It depends. One of the early AT&T LTE deployments exactly followed the Amtrak NEC from New Haven, CT up to just south of Boston, MA, even before they had LTE running down towards NYC. It was interesting, as at the time, Verizon covered from NYC to New Haven, but not up to Boston. I'm not sure if AT&T and Amtrak collaborated to fill in the gap so that the on-train Wi-Fi system could switch from one to the other, or if they sensed an opportunity to catch some data traffic by running the only LTE network on that route at that time. It was literally one tower wide, and while it followed I-95 as well a bit into RI, since 95 and Amtrak run near each other, in RI it left I-95 and followed Amtrak before re-joining up near Providence. Therefore, my area got AT&T LTE long before Verizon, even if it was only one or two towers in each town.

Out west in rural areas, yeah, it's probably spotty, although the on-train Wi-Fi system presumably have much more powerful antennas than a phone. I'd think that they do optimize rail coverage on the NEC, as well as busy commuter and metro lines in other cities. Probably not so much for long distance, due to the low traffic volume.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast