Thread: AWS / XLTE Rollout? When and where?

Feedback Score

AWS / XLTE Rollout? When and where?

A couple years ago I saw an ad for XLTE in New Jersey.

From what I can see it is the AWS spectrum Verizon purchased.

Where is it currently rolled out?
    What is the time timetable to get it rolled out nationwide?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    A couple years ago I saw an ad for XLTE in New Jersey.

From what I can see it is the AWS spectrum Verizon purchased.

Where is it currently rolled out?
    What is the time timetable to get it rolled out nationwide?
    They have a very big budget for Network upgrades and expansion so it's always being rolled out and activated. Unfortunately that information isn't generally given to the public.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Everywhere they bought the licenses have long been rolled out. Verizon doesn't mess around. They put their network behind the licenses usually in a matter of months assuming they're not waiting on equipment vendors, cellular standards organizations (i.e., 3gpp), or the almighty overseer, the FCC.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen any sites without B4 on them since maybe 2015.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AWS "XLTE" is rolled out to the majority of the network. I see random rural towers here and there without it but they seem few and far between.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Well, I live in an area surrounded by AWS but don't have it on my nearest cell site. So I'm stuck with band 13 only which gets overloaded, especially in the evenings. I know of at least one other cell site that also lacks AWS. I've let Verizon know about this, but they still haven't done anything about it.

So to those who say it's already been rolled out everywhere haven't been around here.

BTW, AT&T does have band 17 & band 2 active in the same area Verizon is lacking AWS. So with AT&T I can hit 150Mbps down. Verizon hits 60Mbps max.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    "XLTE" is on all major carriers, they have a 20x20 LTE channel somewhere on their network. Poor marketing strategy IMHO. I care more about 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM for quality verses a wideband channel now.
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    Well, I live in an area surrounded by AWS but don't have it on my nearest cell site. So I'm stuck with band 13 only which gets overloaded, especially in the evenings. I know of at least one other cell site that also lacks AWS. I've let Verizon know about this, but they still haven't done anything about it.

So to those who say it's already been rolled out everywhere haven't been around here.

BTW, AT&T does have band 17 & band 2 active in the same area Verizon is lacking AWS. So with AT&T I can hit 150Mbps down. Verizon hits 60Mbps max.
    Yes, fortunately around here we have 700mhz Band 4. Haven't seen Band 5 yet, hopefully they roll it out here soon. Of course it's hard to tell on iPhone without going into Engineering Mode.

Feedback Score

AWS / XLTE Rollout? When and where?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    "XLTE" is on all major carriers, they have a 20x20 LTE channel somewhere on their network. Poor marketing strategy IMHO. I care more about 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM for quality verses a wideband channel now.
    Yeah XLTE would look nice showing next to my my signal bars. But your right, we will probably not care about which frequencies are being used but more about how many bands are being aggregated in the future.

But the way Sprint & T-mobile ride their technology choices for marketing purposes, Verizon could have got more bang for the buck out of XLTE.

Then again quietly rolling out new technology makes the network seem invisible and ubiquitous and consumers don't have to worry about the technical jargon. It seems like AT&T and Verizon don't whoop and holler about every new advance like T-mobile and Sprint do.

But the smaller carriers always have to dangle the carrot in front of the consumers. (HPUE is coming! 600 MHz is coming! To a huge metropolis far away from you.)

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
    Everywhere they bought the licenses have long been rolled out.
    That's not true, many rural areas are band 13 only even if they have licenses for band 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I haven't seen any sites without B4 on them since maybe 2015.
    Which area is that? Come to the north east and you'll see band 13 is the only band outside of cities and larger towns, i.e. most highways and rural areas are only band 13.

Yes, fortunately around here we have 700mhz Band 4.
    I think you mean band 13.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Which area is that? Come to the north east and you'll see band 13 is the only band outside of cities and larger towns, i.e. most highways and rural areas are only band 13.
    Duluth, MN and surrounding areas. Their sites are spaced really far apart and while you do drop AWS typically between cell sites, they've filled in enough to typically keep you on at least weak B13. But all sites do have AWS. Even the rural ones.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Duluth, MN and surrounding areas. Their sites are spaced really far apart and while you do drop AWS typically between cell sites, they've filled in enough to typically keep you on at least weak B13. But all sites do have AWS. Even the rural ones.
    Definitely not the case in the Northeast

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Definitely not the case in the Northeast

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    They must have some remote sites from the original rollout of LTE that use ground-based radios. I'd imagine they would put B4 on when they go to RRHs, which would also boost the signal strength on B13.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    I think you mean band 13.
    Yep Band 13. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah XLTE would look nice showing next to my my signal bars. But your right, we will probably not care about which frequencies are being used but more about how many bands are being aggregated in the future.

But the way Sprint & T-mobile ride their technology choices for marketing purposes, Verizon could have got more bang for the buck out of XLTE.

Then again quietly rolling out new technology makes the network seem invisible and ubiquitous and consumers don't have to worry about the technical jargon. It seems like AT&T and Verizon don't whoop and holler about every new advance like T-mobile and Sprint do.

But the smaller carriers always have to dangle the carrot in front of the consumers. (HPUE is coming! 600 MHz is coming! To a huge metropolis far away from you.)
    Verizon seems to wait until they have either the entire nation or the majority of markets up and running before doing any announcements whereas the smaller carriers throw a few sites up and declare a victory that doesn't really mean anything. T-Mobile does this a lot and they're absolutely obsessed with declaring industry firsts if even it's as simple as throwing up a test market that a very, very small number of users can even access (LTE-U is a great example). PR wise it makes them look like they're ahead of the game even if they're deploying the same technology as other carriers are around the same time so I roll my eyes whenever Neville Ray scoffs at one of Verizon's announcements because I can almost guarantee that Verizon is doing it when they're damn sure their deployment is solid, widespread, and ready for use for nearly all customers. I do find the technology branding as a whole (XLTE, Extended Range LTE, Spark, etc.) as silly because in the end they're not really anything special and can be actually misleading to customers but hey that's marketing for you.