Thread: Wifi calling using a velocity hot spot

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Wifi calling using a velocity hot spot

Anybody have experience using wifi calling on their velocity hot spot? I've noticed that calls have drop outs of the person speaking.

On a different phone on my account, if it was tilted one way it was alot of drop out. The hotspot was anywhere between 12-20 feet away at any one time. And 1-2 walls to go through. I have not tried a call sitting next to or within visible sight of the hot spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi calling is designed to work with less latency than LTE today. It's meant to work with a cable internet connection, typically. It uses more bandwidth and higher bit rates.

That's why HD Voice / VoLTE exists on phones. It uses different codecs, QoS, and IMS to make sure the call works better.

Wi-Fi calling is a carrot to the consumer to get best-possible quality voice, while taking stress off the LTE network. But when you use LTE for the pipe, you're essentially putting a round peg into a square hole.

If you have an AT&T phone, don't use Wi-Fi calling when connected an AT&T hotspot. Use VoLTE / Advanced Voice / HD Voice on the device instead... unless you're on an old plan and minutes matter.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    Wi-Fi calling is designed to work with less latency than LTE today. It's meant to work with a cable internet connection, typically. It uses more bandwidth and higher bit rates.

That's why HD Voice / VoLTE exists on phones. It uses different codecs, QoS, and IMS to make sure the call works better.

Wi-Fi calling is a carrot to the consumer to get best-possible quality voice, while taking stress off the LTE network. But when you use LTE for the pipe, you're essentially putting a round peg into a square hole.

If you have an AT&T phone, don't use Wi-Fi calling when connected an AT&T hotspot. Use VoLTE / Advanced Voice / HD Voice on the device instead... unless you're on an old plan and minutes matter.
    I just turned wifi calling off now while here. Calls seem fine over LTE at - 115 dBm.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post

WiFi Calling is simply a VPN IPSec connection back to a carriers core calling network. Aside from that, calls carry out using the same codecs/bandwidth/IMS core. On AT&T, calls carry out over either AMR-WB (12.65k) or AMR-NB (12.2k mostly) based on the recipient, not whether the call was placed over VoWiFi or VoLTE.

However, QoS does play a big role in why VoLTE is preferred, as the LTE Network is configured to prioritize VoLTE, whereas VoWiFi is not. As such, using a hotspot for WiFi calls is going through 2 mediums (WiFi then LTE) where QoS implementation doesn't exist. Makes sense why OP had issues with audio dropouts. We also can't discredit that the hotspot may have less than optimal wifi radios, which would worsen the issue.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    WiFi Calling is simply a VPN IPSec connection back to a carriers core calling network. Aside from that, calls carry out using the same codecs/bandwidth/IMS core. On AT&T, calls carry out over either AMR-WB (12.65k) or AMR-NB (12.2k mostly) based on the recipient, not whether the call was placed over VoWiFi or VoLTE.

However, QoS does play a big role in why VoLTE is preferred, as the LTE Network is configured to prioritize VoLTE, whereas VoWiFi is not. As such, using a hotspot for WiFi calls is going through 2 mediums (WiFi then LTE) where QoS implementation doesn't exist. Makes sense why OP had issues with audio dropouts. We also can't discredit that the hotspot may have less than optimal wifi radios, which would worsen the issue.
    Ahhhh. Makes sense. Good explanation!