Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bar someone from commenting in a thread, especially in an inappropriate way like your childish title.

Hello, mods? Anyone home? As usual, they selectively enforce the rules only when it suits them.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the site rules: http://www.howardforums.com/rules.php
    Thread title edited. I guess you didn't learn about mod critique with your other account. Enjoy your 1 week ban. Next one is permanent.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    This is the only response you're getting from me, it was your fault along with your claimed 2nd account that the thread was locked, so buzz off this was an interesting thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Let this serve as a warning that your thread title is considered troll baiting. Don't do it again.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator HF 9 View Post
    Let this serve as a warning that your thread title is considered troll baiting. Don't do it again.
    Sorry about that, I just really despise that they did that, I had some good content on that thread along with several others, it pissed me off. I couldn't really do anything else but make another thread of the topic, and I should've just titled it the way you edited it, but I really didn't want them to ruin this thread too.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sorry about that, I just really despise that they did that, I had some good content on that thread along with several others, it pissed me off. I couldn't really do anything else but make another thread of the topic, and I should've just titled it the way you edited it, but I really didn't want them to ruin this thread too.

It was your title that started all of this and now the last 6 posts are off topic. Back on track from here going forward. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In my state in general, Verizon is 3rd in coverage, not sure about speed, and USCC is 2nd with AT&T 1st in terms of coverage, plus where LTE is it's pretty fast so that's a plus.
    Edit: state is Vermont

It didn't seem like too long ago that Verizon was number one in VT and AT&T plus everyone else was a joke. Is this the whole state you're talking about?

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    It didn't seem like too long ago that Verizon was number one in VT and AT&T plus everyone else was a joke. Is this the whole state you're talking about?
    When was this? Pretty sure AT&T always had a strong hold here, Verizon is a joke away from the interstate all roaming on USCC, not sure about now with their LTE coverage but from what I've seen, AT&T is number 1 here.

Feedback Score
    It's voice 1st, everything else way behind. Coverage wise AT&T & VZW are best here.
    For me & millions more Americans coverage means nothing without call clarity.

Call clarity on the CDMA VZW backbone can be terrible. People say VoLTE.
    But VoLTE needs:
    1) both have VZW VoLTE phones
    2) both have HD Voice enabled
    3) VoLTE coverage both locations

I choose the AT&T backbone. Not the Unicorn experience of VZW VoLTE.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When was this? Pretty sure AT&T always had a strong hold here, Verizon is a joke away from the interstate all roaming on USCC, not sure about now with their LTE coverage but from what I've seen, AT&T is number 1 here.

Around when LTE was still very new. I remember AT&T didn't have any B12 and they had to use B5 for initial LTE deployment. I think that was around Burlington. I haven't really paid much attention since then TBH.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    It's voice 1st, everything else way behind. Coverage wise AT&T & VZW are best here.
    For me & millions more Americans coverage means nothing without call clarity.

But VoLTE needs:
    1&2) both have VZW VoLTE phones
    3&4) both have HD Voice enabled
    5&6) VoLTE coverage both locations

I choose the AT&T backbone. Not the Unicorn experience of VZW VoLTE.
    All VoLTE calls go through the IMS IP core. He other party does not need to have VoLTE. You can call a landline and calls will go over LTE and not CDMA.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Around when LTE was still very new. I remember AT&T didn't have any B12 and they had to use B5 for initial LTE deployment. I think that was around Burlington. I haven't really paid much attention since then TBH.
    AT&T doesn't own any B12 in VT, they own side B of CLR, they mostly rely on that, B2 and B30 here. They have been very slow on upgrading to LTE for what I think the reason is coverage, LTE is a more fragile link than HSPA. They won't completely upgrade to LTE for that reason, until they absolutely have to I believe. But now that they have the firstnet contract and B14, they can and will deploy an awesome network because they have to expand their actual coverage footprint in remote and rural areas. And I'm assuming it'll be much easier to do so with the state government allowing them to install towers where no towers were allowed before because....nimbys. now it's just a waiting game to see if Vermont joins the firstnet ran, and I'm crossing my fingers that is the case🤞

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    All VoLTE calls go through the IMS IP core. He other party does not need to have VoLTE. You can call a landline and calls will go over LTE and not CDMA.
    What about calling a cell phone not a landline?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    What about calling a cell phone not a landline?
    Still runs through IMS. It's AMR 12.2, or the same call quality you would find making a non HD call on two AT&T phones.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    I'd say it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, but it really depends on the area. Around here, AT&T is the best, but not by a big margin. Verizon and T-Mobile are pretty close. Nationwide, I've had very good coverage with AT&T, and I've used AT&T in places with zero Verizon around for miles, but I've also been in places with Verizon service and had nothing.

I was walking through Wal-Mart today, and I saw all the prepaid phones on sale. I think the bigger risk to AT&T and Verizon is not that one beats the other on this nerd metric or that nerd metric, but that a significant section of the market bifurcates towards the low-end, where some of the services operate without the user even knowing what network they are on. Straight Talk does have some phones that obviously have the red Verizon map on them, but others are operating on who knows what (T-Mobile?)? Some of the MVNOs are clearly on one carrier, like Wal-Mart Family Mobile and Simple Mobile on T-Mobile, Total Wireless on Verizon, or Cricket on AT&T, but others are not, and at some point, for a significant chunk of the population, the coverage is close enough amongst all three that they don't really care or even know what they are actually on.

The market is really interesting, as you've got the high end going higher and higher with monthly payment plans on phones that started at $650 where the iPhone put them, and are now just about to cross the $1000 line, with several phones like the iPhone 7+ 256GB and Galaxy Note 8 within striking distance, with expensive postpaid plans, meanwhile the other end of the market is in mostly sub-$200 phones, many of them sub-$100, with the iPhone SE, and various semi-unknown Android phones dominating the market like the Galaxy J3 Luna and the J7 something-or-other, and a myriad of even less noteworthy devices ranging from about $30 to arou

Since we're data oriented these days, I personally go by LTE data coverage. As long as it's able to pass data, we'll say .5 Mbps up/down at the very least since things still work, albeit slowly at that speed.
    I think speed matters up until you have a few mbps that's consistent, and then who cares. A connection throttled at 512kbps is probably fine, but typically if LTE is congested enough to get below 1mbps, it doesn't work very well, as the speeds are very inconsistent under the load. Sprint was the fastest at one point in peak speeds, with speeds of 200mbps+ before anybody else was up there, but their coverage is atrocious, so just setting peak speed records is not of much use.

It also wasn't long ago that Verizon absolutely dominated AT&T in New Hampshire. Now they are getting close to equal, i.e. they are both equally as lousy with pretty much the same coverage holes because of NIMBYs. My experience with AT&T in Vermont is pretty good coverage for such a rural area, but very uninspiring speeds. I've found most rural areas to have mediocre speeds as well, I'm not sure if it's because people are using LTE as their home internet, or terrain, or what.

But VoLTE needs:
    1) both have VZW VoLTE phones
    2) both have HD Voice enabled
    3) VoLTE coverage both locations
    Verizon CDMA used to be the best in the industry for call quality, until they squeezed and squished for bandwidth until their CDMA sounded like talking to a fish swimming in the ocean, and you couldn't understand anything, and AT&T got better with UMTS. Now with VoLTE, in theory, they should all be the same.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    In my state in general, Verizon is 3rd in coverage, not sure about speed, and USCC is 2nd with AT&T 1st in terms of coverage, plus where LTE is it's pretty fast so that's a plus.
    Edit: state is Vermont

Oh really?
    Verizon Wireless is 3rd in Vermont?
    I thought it was first and then AT&T.
    I know AT&T is pretty bad in the northern part of this state since I usually encounter dead spots when I visit a family member who lives along the 89. I haven't tried Verizon Wireless, yet but I figure it would be slightly better with 1x/3G kinda like some parts of So Cal.
    USCC only exists in the southern part of this state so the only thing I can compare are these two and T-Mobile. AT&T greatly improved their speeds from the initial B2/B5 LTE rollout with B30 and in all, did a nice job with improving upon the former RCC Unicel network they acquired from Verizon Wireless 8 years ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    ....Verizon CDMA used to be the best in the industry for call quality, until they squeezed and squished for bandwidth until their CDMA sounded like talking to a fish swimming in the ocean, and you couldn't understand anything, and AT&T got better with UMTS. Now with VoLTE, in theory, they should all be the same.
    Yes this. But I'll go farther. It's not in theory VZW lies - more like a hypothesis at best. Purported VoLTE coverage is very good for advertising though.

VZW VoLTE coverage is not close to 100% & even 1 garbled CDMA call is not worth it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast