Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Yes this. But I'll go farther. It's not in theory VZW lies - more like a hypothesis at best. Purported VoLTE coverage is very good for advertising though.

VZW VoLTE coverage is not close to 100% & even 1 garbled CDMA call is not worth it.
    You should hear how AT&T UMTS/HSPA sounds around here. It reminds me of edge the way it garbles and cuts out.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post

I think speed matters up until you have a few mbps that's consistent, and then who cares. A connection throttled at 512kbps is probably fine, but typically if LTE is congested enough to get below 1mbps, it doesn't work very well, as the speeds are very inconsistent under the load. Sprint was the fastest at one point in peak speeds, with speeds of 200mbps+ before anybody else was up there, but their coverage is atrocious, so just setting peak speed records is not of much use.

It also wasn't long ago that Verizon absolutely dominated AT&T in New Hampshire. Now they are getting close to equal, i.e. they are both equally as lousy with pretty much the same coverage holes because of NIMBYs. My experience with AT&T in Vermont is pretty good coverage for such a rural area, but very uninspiring speeds. I've found most rural areas to have mediocre speeds as well, I'm not sure if it's because people are using LTE as their home internet, or terrain, or what.
    My definition of usable LTE for basic tasks (basically to consider it usable for coverage rating purposes) puts it pretty low, right about .5 Mbps. What's critical is that it's stable, if it's a stable .5 up/down then most essential tasks are doable with surprisingly little impact on the experience. If it's unstable, say due to a building killing signal or so ridiculously congested then it's unacceptable. Another point I'd like to raise is that when it comes to LTE, a stable UL is more important than the DL, because if you think about it, you can't receive any data without first being able to ping out to the network. Bottom line is, if the UL doesn't work than neither does the DL.

Some recent experiences have reaffirmed this for me, I was depri and on a very congested cell in a venue getting less than .1 Mbps down, but I was getting around 5 Mbps up. The whole time I was able to message people no issue, the only time that awful DL hampered me was trying to load anything with images. Another case was driving through a rural area with really sparse cell density and getting a stable .5 down and 1 up, I was able to stream music on that the whole time and browse the web albeit a bit slow.

When it comes to speed, I like to see no less than 5 Mbps. Anything lower and I start to really notice it. I even notice when I'm getting less than 20 Mbps on my phone.

In my area AT&T coverage hasn't changed much in the last 15 years and hasn't changed at all since the start of this decade. Speeds were hardly an issue til recently, after UDP became available to all. Verizon OTOH has been densifying since 2013 or so and their speeds keep going up and up while AT&T has been dropping. There was a time only a few years ago that AT&T was the denser carrier with better coverage in the area, just two years ago they matched AT&T but still covered better at that time because the network was optimized better. I'm waiting for AT&T to make its comeback, though I'm not sure it's coverage will ever get better.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    My definition of usable LTE for basic tasks (basically to consider it usable for coverage rating purposes) puts it pretty low, right about .5 Mbps. What's critical is that it's stable, if it's a stable .5 up/down then most essential tasks are doable with surprisingly little impact on the experience.
    I would agree, except that when the network is so overloaded that it's down to .5mbps, it's often very unstable due to load. Typically, a network that's functioning properly is at least 5mbps.

In my area AT&T coverage hasn't changed much in the last 15 years and hasn't changed at all since the start of this decade. Speeds were hardly an issue til recently, after UDP became available to all. Verizon OTOH has been densifying since 2013 or so and their speeds keep going up and up while AT&T has been dropping. There was a time only a few years ago that AT&T was the denser carrier with better coverage in the area, just two years ago they matched AT&T but still covered better at that time because the network was optimized better. I'm waiting for AT&T to make its comeback, though I'm not sure it's coverage will ever get better.
    That's interesting. Seems like it goes back and forth as one carrier builds out and then the other builds out, adds bands, whatever.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I have had them both. Currently I'm on Verizon. I find on Verizon you don't drop many calls (if at all). AT&T seemed faster for data. Coverage wise it's about the same in SE Massachusetts. AT&T seemed better indoors. AT&T faux G is superior to Verizon's 3G and 1X.

Both are superior to T-Mobile here. T-Mobile you get dropped calls and very poor indoor coverage even after the band 12 implementation.
    Carrier History:
    Verizon Wireless 8/2016 - Present
    T-Mobile 4/2016 - 8/2016
    AT&T (formally Cingular) 12/2001 - 4/2016

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    You should hear how AT&T UMTS/HSPA sounds around here. It reminds me of edge the way it garbles and cuts out.
    FWIW, I find that AT&T UMTS voice calls can be pretty terrible in downtown Seattle during business hours. Presumably they're dropping the bitrate - calls are often unintelligible. They're fine in less congested areas and VoLTE calls are also fine.

Then again, VZW 1x calls are often barely intelligible or unintelligible, even in less congested areas.

I don't really use cellular voice that much (10-30 minutes per month), but I do want to be able to understand and be understood when I happen to need voice. Most of my usage is data (including some "voice" calls using voip apps that encrypt comms) and some SMS.

For my travel patterns and use cases, no carrier is the clear winner, and only one is a clear loser. VZW is suffering from congestion in areas I frequent to the point where it can't deliver 0.5Mbps up and down, but has the most extensive rural coverage in the area, and also some areas where it falls back to 1x/EV-DO in the Seattle area. AT&T has less congestion and fewer LTE holes, but less rural coverage. T-mobile has the overall best data performance in the Seattle area, but less rural coverage than VZW - it almost never falls back to HSPA in the Seattle area, but band 12 gets overloaded easily. Sprint has so many LTE holes that it isn't really worth of consideration (no band 26 yet as far as I can tell - just 25/41)

This is all very brittle. Things change as capacity increases to meet demand. In six months I might well have a different assessment.

As you see, I have no idea what's "better." Each has its own pluses and minuses, even with my travel patterns which are pretty much limited to Western WA/OR. If overall coverage in Western WA/OR is the most important factor, I guess I'd have to go with VZW as "best", but coverage with unusable data really isn't coverage for me.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    CDMA voice quality has improved around here dramatically in the last 3 or so years as more devices started using VoLTE instead. I remember around 2012-13 I could get tolerable VQ at home but if I went toward the mall, or up to the city it would become unintelligible. I hated talking to anyone on Verizon at the time because of that. Oddly enough it sounded best calling VZ users from my Sprint line than it did from AT&T or a landline.

Thinking about it now it's amazing to me how far apart their CDMA sites are, and that it worked as well as it did and still does. They've come a long way since then, if you used them in this area in 2012 and came back today it wouldn't even be recognizable the difference in coverage density. If someone asked me if I would use Verizon back in 2012 I would've laughed in their face.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If the power goes out t-mobile is useless. At least att and Verizon have service.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue2007 View Post
    If the power goes out t-mobile is useless. At least att and Verizon have service.
    FWIW, all the carriers survived the 21 hour power outage I had within the last couple of years.

Only Verizon survived the 68 power outage I had about 10 years ago. That is very stale data though.

Both of these were due to wind storms. Lots of trees, with rain and wind, above ground power lines. It's a bad combo. That's the usual cause of power failures in the Seattle area. I have outages pretty much every winter.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Just made a call att to Verizon and had HD voice which was nice. In that instant both att and Verizon worked well with clear call quality even in a rural spot for both phones.

Better is all relative due to so many factors. In that case they were equal and each one worked well

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Just made a call att to Verizon and had HD voice which was nice. In that instant both att and Verizon worked well with clear call quality even in a rural spot for both phones.

Better is all relative due to so many factors. In that case they were equal and each one worked well
    HD voice interoperability between the two has been a godsend. Can't wait til TMO gets it working between the big two as well.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    HD voice interoperability between the two has been a godsend. Can't wait til TMO gets it working between the big two as well.
    Yeah hopefully tmobile gets it soon. Are you still running your T-Mobile line? I have att prepaid and T-Mobile, but just realized it's the first time in quite a while I haven't had some sort of Verizon line. May get another vz prepaid line soon to add to what I have

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    Att is getting slower in Boston. I have more and more dropped calls. VZ has more and more small cells. Going to switch VZW this BF.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Yeah hopefully tmobile gets it soon. Are you still running your T-Mobile line? I have att prepaid and T-Mobile, but just realized it's the first time in quite a while I haven't had some sort of Verizon line. May get another vz prepaid line soon to add to what I have
    I am still running my TMO line. I just made a run into the city in fact and speeds were just awful today with the Labor Day traffic. I was getting depri really bad on Verizon too, until I got into the heart of the ghetto then it picked up and TMO stopped working all together.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolshayaptica View Post
    Att is getting slower in Boston. I have more and more dropped calls. VZ has more and more small cells. Going to switch VZW this BF.
    I have Verizon and feel it has gotten slower since unlimited was released as well.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Do you guys who switch around all have iPhones? Unfortunately, the iPhone is really the only thing that you can truly SIM swap around freely with. AT&T won't do VoLTE on unbranded Android devices, Verizon won't do the Travel Pass roaming packages, so you're basically left with T-Mobile only. Apple's magic makes everything work everywhere.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast