Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Wanted to reopen the topic, hopefully it doesnt get locked this time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ZeroSignal; 09-03-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost. Dwmtd and dnylsh, stay out of thi...

In my area Verizon varies from night and day better to just slightly better than AT&T. There are few places where AT&T is better than Verizon here. If you look at Open Signal maps for the Chicago area you can see a decent difference in signal strength between the two, and the part of the area I live in it almost is as if AT&T didn't cover it at all it shows so weak everywhere. (I say that with some exaggeration but Sprint even shows better coverage on that map until you get rural).

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    How do you define "better?"
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    How do you define "better?"
    There's two categories for that usually. One is coverage, the other is speed. Verizon definitely tries to win on coverage first and foremost with speed second.

Feedback Score
    Yes define better.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    In my area Verizon varies from night and day better to just slightly better than AT&T. There are few places where AT&T is better than Verizon here. If you look at Open Signal maps for the Chicago area you can see a decent difference in signal strength between the two, and the part of the area I live in it almost is as if AT&T didn't cover it at all it shows so weak everywhere. (I say that with some exaggeration but Sprint even shows better coverage on that map until you get rural).
    In my state in general, Verizon is 3rd in coverage, not sure about speed, and USCC is 2nd with AT&T 1st in terms of coverage, plus where LTE is it's pretty fast so that's a plus.
    Edit: state is Vermont

Last edited by ZeroSignal; 09-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost.

Coverage for usable data, say defined as 2Mbps or better or something else? Coverage for voice? VoLTE coverage? Voice call quality? Locations? Data speed/reliability? Price? Various other features?

There are so many factors. I honestly can't answer anything other than "overall better for my typical use cases"

My main complaints about my VZW lines right now would centre around congestion and areas of marginal LTE coverage/swiss cheese LTE.
    Last edited by mch; 09-03-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Coverage wise both att a and Verizon seem very similar depending on location.

I will say making calls in a fringe area with an old cdma flip phone seems to work very well

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon really better than AT&T, repost. Dwmtd and dnylsh, stay out of thi...

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Coverage for usable data, say defined as 2Mbps or better or something else? Coverage for voice? VoLTE coverage? Voice call quality? Locations? Data speed/reliability? Price? Various other features?

There are so many factors. I honestly can't answer anything other than "overall better for my typical use cases"

My main complaints about my VZW line right now would centre around congestion and areas of marginal LTE coverage.
    Since we're data oriented these days, I personally go by LTE data coverage. As long as it's able to pass data, we'll say .5 Mbps up/down at the very least since things still work, albeit slowly at that speed. Under normal circumstances calls are supposed to remain clear right til the device loses LTE so I don't really use VoLTE as a deciding factor unless calls are dropping/cutting out for no apparent reason.

That's pretty much how I define coverage. If you wanna factor in CDMA vs UMTS for voice coverage that's fine too, I consider that a backup network to LTE and don't really take it into huge consideration anymore.

Speed is the second factor. I don't think this needs defining. I agree that AT&T is winning in speed overall lately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    In my state in general, Verizon is 3rd in coverage, not sure about speed, and USCC is 2nd with AT&T 1st in terms of coverage, plus where LTE is it's pretty fast so that's a plus.

What is your state? When we make statements like this, please provide more detail.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    ATT is slightly better here (both voice and data where I travel anyway) Verizon has a problem 1x area where I travel. VoLTE works fine in that spot, but not well in many other spots. Got tired of turning VoLTE on & off, so just left it off. Just turned off VoLTE on another friend's phone today as he was having too many issues with it. (Garbled/broken voice complaints from people on the other end)

Switched to Cricket & then H2O & very satisfied. May try ATT Red Pocket next month.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    What is your state? When we make statements like this, please provide more detail.
    Sorry, it's Vermont lol

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    Sorry, it's Vermont lol

Everything I've seen att is top dog in vermont

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bar someone from commenting in a thread, especially in an inappropriate way like your childish title.

Hello, mods? Anyone home? As usual, they selectively enforce the rules only when it suits them.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the site rules: http://www.howardforums.com/rules.php

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtmd View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bar someone from commenting in a thread, especially in an inappropriate way like your childish title.

Hello, mods? Anyone home? As usual, they selectively enforce the rules only when it suits them.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the site rules: http://www.howardforums.com/rules.php
    This is the only response you're getting from me, it was your fault along with your claimed 2nd account that the thread was locked, so buzz off this was an interesting thread.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast