Thread: Postpaid or pay-before?

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score

Postpaid or pay-before?

Responded to a simple question in another thread with an essay. Never had that happen before ;p
    The question (I answered) might help others wondering, Postpaid or pay-before?

tl;dr Postpaid for discount and tab eligibility, pay-before for absolute cost control.

Quote Originally Posted by bdking2 View Post
    So I finally got a 25% off code from a colleague, should there be any problems going to a store activating a new $50 Everywhere plan and adding this code??
    These discount codes can be applied to any $40+ in-market plan, including the current promos. The codes are good for the life of the account, as long as the account does not go into suspension.

HOWEVER, these codes can only be applied to postpaid accounts. They are not valid on pay-before accounts.

For this reason, even if you don't want a tab, it's a good idea to activate on postpaid. You'd then be able to use the discount code if one came your way (restrictions may apply).

If your credit record is less than good (newly established, blemished, rebuilding), a postpaid account will likely require a deposit. Freedom has the most stringent credit approval of the wireless providers. The deposit will be refunded to account after 6 months. You'll likely be limited to a $5/mo tab, initially.

It can be difficult to switch to postpaid after activation. They will not approve a deposit-secured postpaid account if the account is already active.

If the service doesn't work out, being postpaid means a service credit for the balance of the bill cycle from date of port-out. Prepaid has no right of refund (PM's brilliant 90-day paid-in-advance promos - there's your ETF).

If you use your phone outside the Home network and don't have an Everywhere plan, postpaid will happily bill those .05/MB and .15/min roaming charges to your account. On prepaid you'd need to have a credit balance for Away usage.. less convenient, more control, less exposure.

If you want a tab - device financing - a postpaid account is required.

There remain good reasons for going prepaid - absolute predictability of the monthly bill, new lines for young folk, no possibility of inadvertent Away charges.. Or you might just prefer the pure BYOD + prepay + unlimited way of doing wireless. Or have a general aversion to provider-subsidized devices/contracts/plan$ ($70/GB overage!) (Freedom has no overage).

There's a lot to said for BYOD. The straightforward device financing of Freedom and some flankers isn't so bad, especially with the tab discount promos of late.

Having no device balance makes a quick move for a compelling offer easier - eg. Freedom's one day $40/10GB port-in promo last month. Got a tab? Bring it down when you've some extra cash, pay it off early if you can. You still have the benefit of any tab discount, and you'll enjoy the sense of.. freedom.

There are good deals to be had on prepaid, these days.
    Last edited by pjw918; 09-04-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: tl;dr, roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    Responded to a simple question in another thread with an essay. Never had that happen before ;p
    The question (I answered) might help others with a common quandary - Postpaid or prepaid?
    Hence the new thread.

These discount codes can be applied to any $40+ in-market plan, including the current promos. You can apply it yourself from the online account. The codes are good for the life of the account, as long as your account does not go into suspension.

HOWEVER, these codes can only be applied to postpaid accounts. They are not valid on pay-before accounts.

For this reason, even if you don't want a tab, it's a good idea to activate on postpaid. You'd then be eligible for these codes when they come available.

If your credit record is less than good (newly established, blemished, rebuilding), a postpaid account will likely require a deposit. Freedom has the most stringent credit approval threshold of the wireless providers. The deposit will be refunded to account after 6 months. You'll likely be limited to a $5/mo tab, initially.

It can be difficult to switch to postpaid after activation. The credit check is more stringent, they will not approve a deposit-secured postpaid account if the account is already active.

If the service doesn't work out, being postpaid means a service credit for the balance of the bill cycle from date of port-out. Prepaid has no right of refund (PM's brilliant 90-day paid-in-advance promos - there's your ETF).

If you want a tab - device financing - a postpaid account is required.

There remain good reasons for going prepaid - absolute predictability of the monthly bill, new lines for young folk, no possibility of inadvertent Away roaming charges.. Or if you just prefer the BYOD pure prepay + unlimited service way of wireless. Or have an aversion to provider-subsidized devices/contracts/plan$ (with $70/GB overage). The straightforward device financing tabs of Freedom and some flankers aren't so bad, especially with the tab discount promos of late.

Having no device balance makes a quick move for a compelling offer easier - eg. Freedom's one day $40/10GB port-in promo last month. Got a tab? Bring it down when you've some extra cash, pay it off early if you can. You still have the benefit of any tab discount, and you'll enjoy the sense of.. freedom.

There are good deals to be had on prepaid, these days.
    When I switched from Mobilicity to Wind (when I saw the writing on the wall after Rogers bought them), I never had an issue getting set up for post-paid. In addition, it's all taken from my bank account, so it requires minimal to zero input from me. From what I remember, the guy didn't even run a credit check, because I was never asked to provide a deposit. Then again, I brought in my own device and I have used 5 devices since joining Freedom (Blu Studio C which is what I brought with me and still retain the BYOD credit for it, 3 models of the Asus Zenfone (ZE551KL, ZE551ML and ZE552KL) and now, an iPhone 6S Plus. My mom has her own device and my father has a Samsung on a tab. This move too, I was not asked for a deposit. He went in, picked out something he liked (but I warned him do not get anything less than 32GB, I have a personal rule that all my phones have to be 64GB and above), went and got it activated and I wasn't asked for a deposit. I was there when he did it.

The credit check being stringent is what gets me. I disagree with $70/GB overage. It's more or less like $280/GB overage. Sure, the deals are good from Freedom these days, I'll agree with that.

I've been on Post Paid from the start. The whole credit check reference is what gets me. Post-Paid however gives one advantage over prepaid; you pay for the services after they have been rendered, in this case, my mother and father are on Freedom (but I pay the bill, they reimburse me), so if they go to the States, and they use roaming down there, any charges will appear on that month's statement and will be billed to my account for an example; say they used their phones today in the States, to call or text someone. Those charges would appear on my statement for the month of September, when I get the bill in October). Prepaid you won't have this advantage.

Device(s)
    S3, Z30, Q5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile and Wind and Fido 3GB with free tablet
    Feedback Score
    My accounts with Mobilicity, Wind and Public were/are all on "auto-pay" because I know what the bill will be.

My old Bell and current Fido are post-paid so first - show me the bill - then I'll pay it.

Koodo is offering me Canada-wide calling and 5 GB for $50 if I port from Public.
    (For you Freedom customers - that equates to 5 GB data and unlimited minutes Canada roaming.)

But if I switched and bought a mid-price phone on the tab for $15/mo - I'd have a $65 bill which is worse than the $60 Bell plan I ported to Public to begin with. Plus I'd be on post-paid and have to check the bill each month for "mistakes".

I'm due for a $1/mo discount from Public in 2 months - so $37/mo 4 GB province-wide auto-pay no worries. I won't need a new phone until one of mine breaks.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score

The choice is yours

Quote Originally Posted by not yet View Post
    My accounts with Mobilicity, Wind and Public were/are all on "auto-pay" because I know what the bill will be.

My old Bell and current Fido are post-paid so first - show me the bill - then I'll pay it.

Koodo is offering me Canada-wide calling and 5 GB for $50 if I port from Public...

But if I switched... I'd be on post-paid and have to check the bill each month for "mistakes".
    There's the rub. RBT still treat prepaid as the poor second cousin of a 'real' wireless plan. Want some prepay options with reasonable data quotas? Go to the sub-flankers and settle for 3G, throttled at 2.5 or 3mbps.

Postpaid is where their big bucks are.. 'cheap' flagship phones on $95 price plans (300min, local!), exorbitant overage fees.. If you've watched recent quarterlies, RBT have been showing higher revenues and ARPU, and they attribute that trend to increased data use (read: Overage. $50-100/GB, .50/min, with the inevitable plan upgrades after the first bill shocker for more realistic allotments).

At Freedom each new customer activating is asked "Postpaid or pay-before?". Freedom's unique in making their entire roster and every promo plan available both postpaid and prepaid. If you want flat-rate wireless service, no overage or ppu, worry-free autopay, you go unlimited, prepaid. On Freedom you have that choice. And you get LTE with that.

-
    Koodo's data overage has just been upped to $70/GB
    Last edited by pjw918; 09-05-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: $95, 'exorbitant', Koodo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    There's the rub. RBT still treat prepaid as the poor second cousin of a 'real' wireless plan. Want some prepay options with reasonable data quotas? Go to the sub-flankers and settle for 3G, throttled at 2.5 or 3mbps.

Postpaid is where their big bucks are.. 'cheap' flagship phones on $95 price plans (300min, local!), exorbitant overage fees.. If you've watched recent quarterlies, RBT have been showing higher revenues and ARPU, and they attribute that trend to increased data use (read: Overage. $50-100/GB, .50/min, with the inevitable plan upgrades after the first bill shocker for more realistic allotments).

At Freedom each new customer activating is asked "Postpaid or pay-before?". Freedom's unique in making their entire roster and every promo plan available both postpaid and prepaid. If you want flat-rate wireless service, no overage or ppu, worry-free autopay, you go unlimited, prepaid. On Freedom you have that choice. And you get LTE with that.

-
    Koodo's data overage has just been upped to $70/GB
    Your first sentence I'll agree with. I like RBT though. The acronym suits it well. But Robellus is better.

The second one, is true. That is if you can handle the "shock". 300 minutes local? I mean technology is cheap. RBT can afford to bring in unlimited calling nationally at a reasonable price. Increased data use? I can believe that. Remember that Kim Kardashian game? Where kids with cellphones got to "buy" her clothing and didn't realize you had to pay for it? There's a credit card shocker. She goes on the record saying how it's horrible, yet she's getting a piece of the revenue? I can see a double standard from the increased data use quote. But your overage charges I'll have to disagree with. It's now $1,000/GB. Seems like it.

On a work week, I'm only on Freedom's data network, 40-45 minutes a day, and that's 22 minutes and 30 seconds of commuting from home to work and vice versa. When I'm at work, or home relatives or a friend's place, WiFi takes over. When I'm out shopping, I'm on the data network, or various other factors.

Your third sentence is true and I went with Post-Paid. But your line on no overage.... shouldn't that be post paid? I mean some people want to prepay. That's fine, but leaves little room for anything else. Post-Paid, I would do, personally because I want to be charged after the services are rendered. I'm on Post-Paid.

$70/GB? What the ----? Whatever they are smoking over there, I should have some too. I'll share with you. **** I'll share with everyone. That's absolutely ridiculous. Don't all wireless providers in Canada have to have caps enforced? My Away data if I blow through my allotment is capped at a Borden. It's also cut off at that point. I won't be able to use my Away data until my cycle gets reset.

You'll get LTE with that? Shouldn't it be "You'll get LTE with that, or if you BYOD, soon to get LTE"?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    When I switched from Mobilicity to Wind (when I saw the writing on the wall after Rogers bought them)
    This first line just stopped me dead in my tracks
    You would rather use Freedom / Wind service instead of Chatr / Rogers service???

Rogers has a slightly ( ) better network just fyi
    And they kept the Mobilicity pricing as well
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    This first line just stopped me dead in my tracks
    You would rather use Freedom / Wind service instead of Chatr / Rogers service???

Rogers has a slightly ( ) better network just fyi
    And they kept the Mobilicity pricing as well
    I used to live in the States, I lived there for 14 years (I was born in Canada, I lived in Vermont and California). I had Verizon as my cell provider (mainly in California). Had they come to Canada, and either bought or bought a majority ownership in either Wind or Mobilicity, the competition between Rogers, Telus and Bell would've been done. Verizon has enough money to piss for a very long time, longer than those three and I would've been able to keep my plan, plus my number, and borderless, which means I would not be charged should I go to the States (which included unlimited calls and texts to Canada, but they would've had to reverse this. Reverse this if I were on the big 3, and Rogers doesn't come close, or it's a pricey add-on, chatr has it, but Mobilicity's zones at the time were a huge issue). They might have kept the Mobilicity pricing, but we're talking Rogers here. I still maintain ties to the United States, but well, we won't go into Trump. I'd get banned for sure for using that language (and for the record, I absolutely do not like President Trump). I also frequently call the US. Sure we have unlimited texting to Canada and the US, but let's be realistic here. The US is not considered international. When I lived in Vermont, they did not consider Canada to be international. Same deal with California (two states that do trade with Canada). We'd probably be drinking the LTE "Kool-Aid" by now with VoLTE, VoWiFi, and Vo-whatever acronym they come up with next. Yes I know, I liken LTE to a drug. This time I'm saying "Kool Aid".

Speaking of Verizon, everytime I go into Best Buy or The Source and just look at the phones (or maybe not) right out of the gate almost I'm accosted by one of the sales people on the floor looking to sell a plan, that more than likely is tatamount to getting raped without Vaseline once I see the first bill. I text one of my friends and then they ask who are you with. I tell them Verizon. End of discussion right there, for a number of reasons. When I had to switch out cable equipment, Rogers didn't even ask.

For now, I can live with the shortcomings. But knowing Rogers for screwing people without vaseline in the sense of sticker shock (data overages and I'm sure there's more), you at least had to know that was coming. Somehow.

If I had to guess which out of the Big 3 Verizon would target if they were to come to Canada after obtaining Mobilicity or Wind (at the time and if they did get a foot in the door), I'd bet on Rogers for sure. And yes I do know Verizon tried to come to Canada. One of the Big 3 would definitely cease to exist for sure.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    I used to live in the States, I lived there for 14 years (I was born in Canada, I lived in Vermont and California). I had Verizon as my cell provider (mainly in California). Had they come to Canada, and either bought or bought a majority ownership in either Wind or Mobilicity, the competition between Rogers, Telus and Bell would've been done. Verizon has enough money to piss for a very long time, longer than those three and I would've been able to keep my plan, plus my number, and borderless, which means I would not be charged should I go to the States (which included unlimited calls and texts to Canada, but they would've had to reverse this. Reverse this if I were on the big 3, and Rogers doesn't come close, or it's a pricey add-on, chatr has it, but Mobilicity's zones at the time were a huge issue). They might have kept the Mobilicity pricing, but we're talking Rogers here. I still maintain ties to the United States, but well, we won't go into Trump. I'd get banned for sure for using that language (and for the record, I absolutely do not like President Trump). I also frequently call the US. Sure we have unlimited texting to Canada and the US, but let's be realistic here. The US is not considered international. When I lived in Vermont, they did not consider Canada to be international. Same deal with California (two states that do trade with Canada). We'd probably be drinking the LTE "Kool-Aid" by now with VoLTE, VoWiFi, and Vo-whatever acronym they come up with next. Yes I know, I liken LTE to a drug. This time I'm saying "Kool Aid".

Speaking of Verizon, everytime I go into Best Buy or The Source and just look at the phones (or maybe not) right out of the gate almost I'm accosted by one of the sales people on the floor looking to sell a plan, that more than likely is tatamount to getting raped without Vaseline once I see the first bill. I text one of my friends and then they ask who are you with. I tell them Verizon. End of discussion right there, for a number of reasons. When I had to switch out cable equipment, Rogers didn't even ask.

For now, I can live with the shortcomings. But knowing Rogers for screwing people without vaseline in the sense of sticker shock (data overages and I'm sure there's more), you at least had to know that was coming. Somehow.

If I had to guess which out of the Big 3 Verizon would target if they were to come to Canada after obtaining Mobilicity or Wind (at the time and if they did get a foot in the door), I'd bet on Rogers for sure. And yes I do know Verizon tried to come to Canada. One of the Big 3 would definitely cease to exist for sure.
    VZW had 146 million subs at the end of Q1.

I expect their bad debt/no pay subs outnumber any of our 'big 3'.

They could, as you suggest move in and just give away service (literally) until the market started to consolidate.

There would be howls of predatory pricing, but if they kept the rate plans at the deep discount wind and mobi had, there wouldn't be much RBT could argue.

What kept them out was they couldn't buy an IS-95 carrier. They could only buy an HSPA carrier, and that wouldn't allow them proper roaming without paying a third party.

So, here we sit.

Having used VZW's network in the States, it is vastly superior to AT&T's.

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)