Thread: Canadian Roaming on MSV

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score

Canadian Roaming on MSV

I've got the MSV 10GB plan with 10GB bonus, 20GB total. I have the Canadian Roaming Bonus 1GB. I'm going to Ottawa for a few days at the end of the month (mid- billing cycle). Is the Roaming Bonus the best that I can get for Canada on MSV? I don't see any option for a Mexico and Canada day pass, it's still $10/day for 120 countries, which isn't worth it for Canada if I have 1GB free and $20/gig, as I'd have to slurp down 3GB just to break even over the course of four days. I'll probably just use Maps and a few Google searches for things, but that could still slurp down at least a few hundred MB in a couple of days.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think that's as good as it gets. I can't even get the CRB on my line because I also have the Day Pass.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    I think that's as good as it gets. I can't even get the CRB on my line because I also have the Day Pass.
    So if at some point I use Day Pass for international (non-Canada) travel, would that wipe out the CRB? Jeez they make life complicated.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    So if at some point I use Day Pass for international (non-Canada) travel, would that wipe out the CRB? Jeez they make life complicated.
    Yes, if you plan on leaving North America and need the day pass feature, you have to ask them to remove the Canada Roaming Bonus and then call retentions when you return from your trip to try to get it back.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLin View Post
    Yes, if you plan on leaving North America and need the day pass feature, you have to ask them to remove the Canada Roaming Bonus and then call retentions when you return from your trip to try to get it back.
    Oy vey! What about Passport? Can you add that with CRB on?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oy vey! What about Passport? Can you add that with CRB on?
    Yes, I had the passport plan and CRB in January when I went to Argentina.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I've got the MSV 10GB plan with 10GB bonus, 20GB total. I have the Canadian Roaming Bonus 1GB. I'm going to Ottawa for a few days at the end of the month (mid- billing cycle). Is the Roaming Bonus the best that I can get for Canada on MSV? I don't see any option for a Mexico and Canada day pass, it's still $10/day for 120 countries, which isn't worth it for Canada if I have 1GB free and $20/gig, as I'd have to slurp down 3GB just to break even over the course of four days. I'll probably just use Maps and a few Google searches for things, but that could still slurp down at least a few hundred MB in a couple of days.
    You can download Google Maps in advance before you get to Canada to save on some cellular data usage. With Apple Maps, you have to do it differently. You search for a destination and select a route to that destination while you have data access. The maps along the route are cached so a data connection is not needed while you are following that route. I would expect that the map areas would fill the screen at a normal zoom level.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Yes, I had the passport plan and CRB in January when I went to Argentina.
    That's good. I guess that's an option then. That would actually be a good option in addition to a roamer phone with a local SIM if that's an option in the country that I'm going to (no plans at the moment other than Canada, which I already have covered with CRB).

In a way, Passport would be nice, as I'd be less tempted to play with my phone while traveling, and more likely to enjoy the sights. I almost want to take a cruise just so that I don't have data access while on the boat, and can just sort of disconnect. Ironically, a giant floating chunk of steel with all sorts of advanced electronics and a power grid the size of a small city would be an ideal place to be disconnected. What a world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You can download Google Maps in advance before you get to Canada to save on some cellular data usage. With Apple Maps, you have to do it differently. You search for a destination and select a route to that destination while you have data access. The maps along the route are cached so a data connection is not needed while you are following that route. I would expect that the map areas would fill the screen at a normal zoom level.
    Yeah, I could pre-load them. I probably actually will, as I think I'm going to end up using an old S3 for navigation most of the time, leaving my S7 free for other tasks, and I don't want to keep MHS running the whole time, so it will be isolated. I'll still need it while in Ottawa.