Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Possible Small Cell Construction?

Feedback Score

Possible Small Cell Construction?

Hello all,

Thought I would post a couple pictures of whatever this might be. My guess is AT&T is getting ready to add small cells into this area (Edmond, OK). Any thoughts? Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504578954.197660.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  56.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504578963.234703.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  84.8 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ 64GB (At&t), Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - 3 lines (2000-present) Verizon (2011-2014,2016-present(work phone))
    Feedback Score
    Looks like fiber conduit or electric riser coiled up on a power pole. Could be for anything, but probably not a small cell there.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has been known to put small cells out in country settings like that but not AT&T AFAIK.

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Aren't small cells for denser environments like cities?

I've also seen them along the coast in California where the coastline is relatively narrow or in hard to reach but busy areas such as a steep canyon with a highway running thru it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Verizon has been known to put small cells out in country settings like that but not AT&T AFAIK.
    Verizon does not invest heavily in this area, unfortunately. It's probably either AT&T or nothing... hoping it's for new or future small cells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post

I've also seen them along the coast in California where the coastline is relatively narrow or in hard to reach but busy areas such as a steep canyon with a highway running thru it.

It depends on how much a carrier invests in a certain area. AT&T in particular has deployed small cells all over northeastern Oklahoma, and now seems to be moving down to the central part of the state. I was informed by AT&T engineers that this market will be included in the "5G Evolution" Gigabit LTE cities, so this could be paving the way for that. All up in the air for now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

In NJ Verizon has country roads lined in small cells in some places. Out where I live they have metrocells all over the place (though on macro towers, and they should all be converted to macro sites).

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is there any building in the area? Could just be a fiber connection to a nearby building.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyVZW View Post
    Hello all,

Thought I would post a couple pictures of whatever this might be. My guess is AT&T is getting ready to add small cells into this area (Edmond, OK). Any thoughts? Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504578954.197660.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  56.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1504578963.234703.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  84.8 KB
    Looks like it could be for state Department of Transportation usage or something like that. Doesn't look like fiber optics conduit by a Telecom provider to me. I do not know the area. It could be fiber optics but fiber optics has lots of usages by various parties including governmental in nature. Microcell deployments look a lot different and AT&T is doing microcells in urban core like NYC and SF. Oklahoma is a rural area. Area does not get much usage on tower and one high tower would be enough for that whole area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Is there any building in the area? Could just be a fiber connection to a nearby building.
    No, there are no nearby buildings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Looks like it could be for state Department of Transportation usage or something like that. Doesn't look like fiber optics conduit by a Telecom provider to me. I do not know the area. It could be fiber optics but fiber optics has lots of usages by various parties including governmental in nature. Microcell deployments look a lot different and AT&T is doing microcells in urban core like NYC and SF. Oklahoma is a rural area. Area does not get much usage on tower and one high tower would be enough for that whole area.
    I was informed by AT&T Engineers that this area will have Gigabit LTE. They could potentially be adding small cells for larger support in Rural areas, is my thought.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyVZW View Post
    I was informed by AT&T Engineers that this area will have Gigabit LTE. They could potentially be adding small cells for larger support in Rural areas, is my thought.
    I don't know. It looks like a small amount of cable on a power line pole wth no buildings or other infrastructure around it on a rural road. I don't see any boxes hooked up to electrical power lines or anything else or any splice cases or whatnot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    I don't know. It looks like a small amount of cable on a power line pole wth no buildings or other infrastructure around it on a rural road. I don't see any boxes hooked up to electrical power lines or anything else or any splice cases or whatnot.
    Why I was wondering is, it seems AT&T has deployed small cells in very rural areas in Northeast Oklahoma. Basically out in the middle of nowhere. It seems they're planning something.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Various providers do this to provider filler coverage and when a macro site is unsightly or is more likely is unsafe due to the terrain.
    I even see these small cells along Mulholland Dr and along the side streets. The infrastructure like power and fiber is already there, they just need to pay the LADWP for the space to place their equipment on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Various providers do this to provider filler coverage and when a macro site is unsightly or is more likely is unsafe due to the terrain.
    I even see these small cells along Mulholland Dr and along the side streets. The infrastructure like power and fiber is already there, they just need to pay the LADWP for the space to place their equipment on.
    Interesting. You're also in Edmond, I assume, since you mentioned Mulholland Dr?

UPDATE: Never mind, just saw you put LADWP. Lol!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast