Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Update 2: Confirmed that iPhone 8/8+ and X works flawlessly on Freedom's Band 66 LTE (including 3G to LTE switches)

Feedback Score
    Buy a used s8+, to satisfy ur LTE cravings. But wait for ip8/ ipx on freedom

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darn View Post
    Prediction: Freedom to sell iPhone within months. Will be an Apple certified carrier.
    When you deal with Apple, there are conditions. They will have in the contract conditions like having to buy a certain amount of iPhones, must spend a certain amount on advertising that includes the iPhone, must purchase working display models (no dummy units), etc. You think everyone wants to deal with the Devil?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Former Mobilicity Subscriber)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darn View Post
    Prediction: Freedom to sell iPhone within months. Will be an Apple certified carrier.
    Prediction doesn't work. They will have to light Bands 7 and 13 first before Apple even certifies them. One of the things needed for network certification is that everyone must be able to access LTE. It's not the iPhone 8 series, but the 6 series, the 7 series and the 5S.

This also benefits our Android users using legacy devices.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peter266 View Post
    When you deal with Apple, there are conditions. They will have in the contract conditions like having to buy a certain amount of iPhones, must spend a certain amount on advertising that includes the iPhone, must purchase working display models (no dummy units), etc. You think everyone wants to deal with the Devil?
    Not to mention the entire network must be LTE accessible. By everyone, not just Band 66. That's why we have Bands 7 and 13. That's a major condition. They would have to light that up at some point. That I believe is one of the conditions, and it's a major one. Shaw shouldn't have an issue with this.

By the way I'm the Devil. And I'm here to do the Devil's Work. Right now at this point if you don't want a Freedom phone that works on Band 66, and don't want to deal with the OnePlus 5 issues (sorry guys) you have to get an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus, but granted not everyone has that kind of dough to blow. Granted there is firmware out there to flash the modem, on the OnePlus 5, but a vast majority of users won't want to do that, for various reasons.

When I bought my 6S Plus, before this Band 666 thing on the 8 series, they had working display models, but this is the Apple Store. I'm sure Robellus have working display models. Even retailers have it. No dummy units. Working units you can actually feel in your hands and you can try out.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Got the iPhone 8 and Confirmed to be working with Freedom LTE, ordered from apple.ca on launch day and we finally got around to setting it up as I wanted to do a proper backup on laptop and then restore.

Took about 35-60 seconds to switch back to LTE numerous times today after calls
    Bet if you typed out a text message you would not even notice that. I wouldn't. :-)

Device(s)
    Motorola X Play
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    These statements do not make sense. Videotron and Sasktel are AWS only, and are Apple Certified Carriers. The Band 7 and Band 13 did not apply to them, I don't think they will apply to Freedom. What will be a requirement is for LTE network wide, which can be done on the current AWS band. I don't know that Apple will insist on having the network provide LTE on the 5S ( of which some versions did have AWS), and I don't know that they network must preexist; Apple may want a solid commitment with a guaranteed light up date.

All of that being said, it only makes sense that, as Freedom continues to roll out B66, that all new B66 deployments also have B7/B13 capabilities installed at the same time. You don't want to install B66 capable equipment, then go back in a couple of months and install B7/B13 equipment; it is a waste of time, money and can impact network up time. Any existing B66 only towers can get retrofitted sometime down the road.

There are a lot of statements being made about what conditions Apple imposes on carriers, most of which are speculation from my perspective.Maybe there are those on here that do know what those Apple conditions are, but maybe they are way off base. For example, if Apple wanted to ensure "the best user experience" would they not be specifying that "you must have sufficient signal strength (defined as a minimum of so many dBm) over 70%,80%,90% of your coverage area? I think they would. I think they would want to see a usable network in GTA, for example, which right now is not the case. As I said, there is a lot of things being said about Apple's conditions to carriers, but nothing concrete to back them up.

And as a closing remark, the last think Apple wants to do is to benefit Android users.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    These statements do not make sense. Videotron and Sasktel are AWS only, and are Apple Certified Carriers. The Band 7 and Band 13 did not apply to them, I don't think they will apply to Freedom. What will be a requirement is for LTE network wide, which can be done on the current AWS band. I don't know that Apple will insist on having the network provide LTE on the 5S ( of which some versions did have AWS), and I don't know that they network must preexist; Apple may want a solid commitment with a guaranteed light up date.

All of that being said, it only makes sense that, as Freedom continues to roll out B66, that all new B66 deployments also have B7/B13 capabilities installed at the same time. You don't want to install B66 capable equipment, then go back in a couple of months and install B7/B13 equipment; it is a waste of time, money and can impact network up time. Any existing B66 only towers can get retrofitted sometime down the road.

There are a lot of statements being made about what conditions Apple imposes on carriers, most of which are speculation from my perspective.Maybe there are those on here that do know what those Apple conditions are, but maybe they are way off base. For example, if Apple wanted to ensure "the best user experience" would they not be specifying that "you must have sufficient signal strength (defined as a minimum of so many dBm) over 70%,80%,90% of your coverage area? I think they would. I think they would want to see a usable network in GTA, for example, which right now is not the case. As I said, there is a lot of things being said about Apple's conditions to carriers, but nothing concrete to back them up.

And as a closing remark, the last think Apple wants to do is to benefit Android users.
    LTE is a requirement for sure. Without this, VoLTE and VoWiFi, which are crucial to Shaw are dead. No way in hell you'll have Android users accessing this and not Apple users. This is why I said after we found out that Band 66 works on iPhones that Apple users will dictate what Freedom does, and now I'm sure Shaw is much aware of it. Some people think Freedom can live without Apple. I know of no cell phone provider in the world that can do this. At least half, if not more of your subscriber base will come from the iPhone. Working display models is another one. Freedom right now has dummy units. I know Rogers doesn't have dummy units in their stores, because if I have to switch out the cable box or my modem, I play around with the "assets". Any store I go to and they have display models, I play with it. I'm sure Apple will not approve dummy iPhone 8 series and X units in Freedom's stores. You want something that you can feel in your hands and test out right then and there. Not after the fact as it is now.

Videotron and SaskTel also have other bands to back them up for LTE. Sasktel has not only Band 4 LTE, but Band 41. Videotron has Band 4 LTE and Band 13. Freedom at this point has Band 4 (AWS and LTE only in Ottawa, Kingston and Peterborough) and Band 66. With the 8 series only accessing Band 66, Apple will want at least one other band lit up, whether it's 7 or 13. Or both. Not only that, it has to work on legacy devices. Whether they are working on this in tandem with 66, we can only theorize, but I do agree with that statement. But as I said one of their requirements for certification is that all iPhones must access LTE. This is where I said it would benefit Android users as well. Get certification by Apple, it benefits everyone. With the network the way it is now, they will say no. As long as an Android phone has at least one or both of those bands in (7 is a given), then you'll be able to access LTE. If the network is certified by Apple, then VoLTE and VoWiFi aren't far off, and it will benefit both. Apple, I'm sure knows this.

As for signal strength specification, that could be one of them. GTA as a usable network would go first, because of the subscriber base. But we've seen that's not always the case. They may want to do this out West first. Which is fine.

As I have said, the only concrete thing that doesn't need anything to be backed up is that all phones must access LTE. Which means Bands 7 and 13 will come into play. If Apple finds this out, as I pointed out earlier, one of those will have to be lit up, so it will apply to Freedom because of the way the network is now. It might not have applied to SaskTel and Videotron, but that depends on when they had Apple certify the network. That's definitely not off base, and I've mentioned that before (LTE). The rest is speculation, because the contract is confidential. Who's going to, no wait, that's been done. But a solid commitment would be one of the conditions.

In addition, Shaw and Freedom will have access to the proprietary software of Apple. Right now it's not available, but I can say it's not a risk if you bring one over. It works.

At this point you definitely do not want to alienate the subscriber base. Or the future subscriber base now. The consensus according to Corporate is that "we cannot guarantee that the iPhone will work on our network". Apparently, anyone who has an iPhone 8 series has been saying to Corporate "look at this. That statement is f------ bulls---. Stop saying that". Wouldn't you? And this is from the subscribers.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Looks like there are some reports that a OnePlus software update may have fixed the issue of the OnePlus 5 not being able to return to LTE after dropping to 3G to make/receive a call.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobi...s_5_lte_fixed/

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laxplayer19 View Post
    Looks like there are some reports that a OnePlus software update may have fixed the issue of the OnePlus 5 not being able to return to LTE after dropping to 3G to make/receive a call.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedommobi...s_5_lte_fixed/
    I received a carrier update on my iPhone today??? I don't remember receiving one through Wind/Freedom before. Has anyone else noticed a carrier update on iPhone before? (I'm not suggesting anything, just curious)

Feedback Score
    I'm seeing carrier 29.0 on my freedom iPhone 8plus. Is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 403808 View Post
    I received a carrier update on my iPhone today??? I don't remember receiving one through Wind/Freedom before. Has anyone else noticed a carrier update on iPhone before? (I'm not suggesting anything, just curious)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 403808 View Post
    I've received "Carrier Update" on many non-iPhone official carriers, it doesn't mean anything in particular as its a generic update and doesn't have anything to do with the non-official carrier.

Its just a update to the "Carrier" bundles as All iPhone's contain the necessary configurations for ALL official carriers, hence why you never need to setup APN and other settings on a iPhone when switching between Apple official partners.
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    I've received "Carrier Update" on many non-iPhone official carriers, it doesn't mean anything in particular as its a generic update and doesn't have anything to do with the non-official carrier.

Its just a update to the "Carrier" bundles as All iPhone's contain the necessary configurations for ALL official carriers, hence why you never need to setup APN and other settings on a iPhone when switching between Apple official partners.
    I've got Carrier 29.0 on mine, it used to be 28.x (whereas x is a variable).

But setting up an iPhone's APN I had to do. When I got my iPhone, I had to call my girlfriend to get it set up, since I was moving from an Android. She told me how to do it. Put in the settings below and works like a charm. If you don't set up the APN's, you'll run into issues. It did not auto populate it as on an Android. If Freedom was Apple approved, I'm guessing that it would auto populate itself.

This is in another thread but I'll put it here as a reminder (since I gave out the settings):

APN setup for both Cellular and LTE: internet.freedommobile.ca. This is required should you have an LTE plan, but a "legacy" phone. Set the phone's setting to prefer LTE instead of 3G. Should you have a "legacy" device, you'll still be on 3G until Shaw lights up the new spectrum.

MMS Settings:
    APN: mms.freedommobile.ca
    MMSC: http://mms.freedommobile.ca
    MMS Proxy: 74.115.197.70:8080
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Make sure the last 2 are in there. Have the iPhone do the rest. I should point out that this is not on Freedom's site. At all. The basic stuff is there.

You will need one of the newer SIM Cards from Freedom, but it's been reported that the older ones work as well. I have one of the newer ones. My phone is set for LTE, but defaults to 3G, as it should. Like the 8 series and LTE making a call.

Feedback Score

Update 2: Confirmed that iPhone 8/8+ and X works flawlessly on Freedom's Band...

Edit: Nevermind! It’s working and wow the speeds are amazing.

My iPhone 8 Plus will not see LTE. I put my SIM card into a Samsung S8+ and it get LTE. Any ideas? Thanks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOnDemand View Post
    Edit: Nevermind! It’s working and wow the speeds are amazing.

My iPhone 8 Plus will not see LTE. I put my SIM card into a Samsung S8+ and it get LTE. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I was about to say something. Lol. Just follow what I put and you'll be fine. Legacy and 8 series.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    I was about to say something. Lol. Just follow what I put and you'll be fine. Legacy and 8 series.
    What about iPhone 6? Is that still stuck at 3G or will it be now switch to LTE?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast