Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Update 2: Confirmed that iPhone 8/8+ and X works flawlessly on Freedom's Band 66 LTE (including 3G to LTE switches)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Mod edit: I changed the title of the thread to say that it has now been confirmed! Yay for the upcoming competition!

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can't wait to see somebody drop $1300 on an iPhone X in Canada only to find it doesn't work with Freedom's B66.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jt325i View Post
    Can't wait to see somebody drop $1300 on an iPhone X in Canada only to find it doesn't work with Freedom's B66.
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If you get the Qualcomm version, and Apple specifically did not set it up to work on Freedom, you can be sure it will get stuck on 3G after CSFB.
    Intel modem someone would have to see.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Unless Shaw improves Freedom's network considerably, they won't be allowed to sell iPhones. Apple certainly wouldn't allow them to custom tweak their firmware for B66 and WiFi calling support either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    If you get the Qualcomm version, and Apple specifically did not set it up to work on Freedom, you can be sure it will get stuck on 3G after CSFB.
    Intel modem someone would have to see.
    Really? It won't receive SIB19 properly, or it just won't perform IRAT re-selection? Sounds pretty bad either way!
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Really? It won't receive SIB19 properly, or it just won't perform IRAT re-selection? Sounds pretty bad either way!
    Yes, Qualcomm chips needs special configuration to go back to LTE B66 after CSFB.
    It will receive SIB19, but ignore it completely and will not attempt to go back to LTE afterwards. It needs the Freedom PLMN put into an EFS Item named "rrc_b66_plmn_support." No other LTE bands require this as far as I'm aware of.
    A throwback to the CDMA days for sure...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jt325i View Post
    Which is why with the Droid I never did it. I considered it, but ultimately never followed through. With the iPhone, it'll be an even tougher road for me to be convinced by Freedom. Everyone that has the scratch to purchase one, will expect this to work on Freedom. That is if they do it. Only time will tell.

As for your later post on the network being improved, you have that right. Now that the 3 phones will have Band 66, that should tell Shaw something. Get up off your ***. The priority of getting certification by Apple, just shot to #1 after yesterday. Whether the Board Room knows this, remains to be seen but now I'm sure they know.

The CDMA/GSM version (The one I have is both), are International if you get it directly from Apple. Which means if someone buys this expecting it to work on Band 66, it had better work. Period. Freedom will be unable to blame the phone if it can't connect to LTE. They can do that with Android, but with Apple, that excuse flies out the window once the phones come out. Apple will blame Freedom, and rightfully so. Freedom can't fight back on this one as they might do with the Droid.

On a side note since the iPhone 7 did not have Band 66, is that I'm surprised Apple is doing this. They are notorious for not putting in a band unless it's widespread. Someone must've twisted Apple's arm and spent alot of money doing it.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That someone would be the big 3 American carriers...

AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon all have significant band 66 holdings that they are just starting to roll out..

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...have-and-where

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8666 View Post
    Freedom will be unable to blame the phone if it can't connect to LTE. They can do that with Android, but with Apple, that excuse flies out the window once the phones come out. Apple will blame Freedom, and rightfully so.
    No. The LTE issues are confirmed to be the fault of Qualcomm. Freedom can't do anything to rectify the issue, it's Qualcomm not making the manufacturers include important items in the radio files for some reason, and Freedom has no control over that. Also, from what I understand, Apple devices are only supposed to be able to access LTE on certified networks, which Freedom is not at the moment. This basically wipes Freedom of any responsibility of the matter, I'm sure they are working hard with Apple trying to get certified, but there's nothing they can really do until that point

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    No. The LTE issues are confirmed to be the fault of Qualcomm. Freedom can't do anything to rectify the issue, it's Qualcomm not making the manufacturers include important items in the radio files for some reason, and Freedom has no control over that. Also, from what I understand, Apple devices are only supposed to be able to access LTE on certified networks, which Freedom is not at the moment. This basically wipes Freedom of any responsibility of the matter, I'm sure they are working hard with Apple trying to get certified, but there's nothing they can really do until that point

Freedom is the first carrier to roll out band 66. So they have the growing pains.

I expect that as soon as VZW, ATT and T-Mo roll out their networks, any bugs in subscriber equipment will be worked out.

Despite what some people seem to believe, Freedom didn't invent or manufacture band 66 RAN equipment.

They bought it from a supplier (Nokia).

The phone issues were patched with a bandaid from those suppliers. (I expect until they can agree on the specification of a band 66 handset)

Once those American networks ramp up their band 66, the handset issues will be patched organically with a firmware update.

Sent from my XT1563 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Check the Apple website for their list of certified LTE carriers in Canada. Freedom is not supported even though ip8/X support b66! Another 1P5 situation. Btw, previous poster said it's a Qualcomm issue! Wrong. S8/8+ has Qualcomm proc. unlocked from Samsung works fine with freedom LTE. It's freedom control on their provisioning. IMHO

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darn View Post
    Check the Apple website for their list of certified LTE carriers in Canada. Freedom is not supported even though ip8/X support b66! Another 1P5 situation. Btw, previous poster said it's a Qualcomm issue! Wrong. S8/8+ has Qualcomm proc. unlocked from Samsung works fine with freedom LTE. It's freedom control on their provisioning. IMHO
    No I'm not wrong. It's a Qualcomm issue. Zivan was able to add NV items and fix the issue with the Moto G5+. The reason Samsung devices work is because changing the CSC flashes Freedom's custom software on to the phone in question

Feedback Score
    How does this all work with iPhone Carrier Settings? How do current iPhones work even though Freedom doesn't have official support from Apple?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus (128GB version)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bdking2 View Post
    How does this all work with iPhone Carrier Settings? How do current iPhones work even though Freedom doesn't have official support from Apple?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
    I'll answer this one before I go to bed and cover the rest from work. It's because it has to. Before the iPhone 5C, or depending on when your iPhone was manufactured, they never had Band 4 AWS. Only if your specific model was manufactured after a certain date, would it work on Freedom. From the 6/6Plus/6S and 6S Plus on up the food chain this band was included in.

There is a disclaimer, and this is why I said that certification by Apple just shot to #1:

"Certain Proprietary Software has not been made available to us in an official capacity". This tells you that the network is not certified.

I have not had an issue with my 6S Plus. But I confine Facetime and Facetime Audio to WiFi. It'll work on Freedom but the audio is crap. LTE, either with the spectrum purchased from Videotron or the Band 66 "pharmaceutical" would fix this issue, but probably not completely.

But if I'm roaming, I'm sure both of those would work as intended, because if it's Rogers or Bell, their network is certified by Apple. Hell even Videotron and SaskTel are certified. If they can do it, so can Shaw.

The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are the first out of the gate. We will see. If Freedom is provisioning, that f------ s--- has to end. Quick. The release date is fast upon us.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast