Thread: Hurricane Irma

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Hurricane Irma

Back in 2005 went through Hurricane Wilma and had Verizon.
    This time with Irma I'm on AT&T Prepaid GoPhone.
    Other than power outages, I hope there is no major damage.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Why stick around to find out? Governor is warning that this cat 5 storm will be worse than Hurricane Andrew back in '92

Be safe!

Feedback Score
    Why stick around to find out?
    I am not the OP and don't speak for him, but there are many reasons not to evacuate. You will know your own situation far better than the governor or even any local bureaucrat who must base their decisions on what is best for thousands or even millions of people, not for someone who has analyzed the situation carefully and knows what they are up against. I have been in that situation and refused to evacuate and all worked out exactly as we planned, with no damage to us, where we were living, etc., while many who did evacuate encountered significant problems. The dirty little secret is often the most deaths that occur in hurricanes are due to traffic accidents and/or people injuring themselves during the cleanup. However, you have to be able to judge your situation carefully: strength of structure, height above sea level, distance from the coast, backup escape routes, etc. Many people are not able to do this well, so the advice to evacuate probably makes sense for them, but for those who know what they are doing precautions can be taken and you can be much safer than joining the traffic jam on the highways. In lesser hurricanes I have had good luck with AT&T continuing to function. It is mainly a matter of the towers remaining up, and the same tower often carries equipment for multiple carriers, so it is more of a crapshoot as to which ones will get knocked out. Both AT&T and Verizon have lower frequency bands that can travel greater distances, which helps when the towers start to get knocked out.

Feedback Score
    I was there too. Afair T-Mobile had the best voice available.

Thousands of roofs ripped off like accordions. I saw a yield sign & pole flying through the air like a manta ray swimming through water. During the front & back end looking out the window all I could see was pure white like printer paper nothing else just pure white. Sustained winds of 175mph.

Wikipedia: Hurricane Wilma [Category 5 Hurricane] was the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, as well as the most intense recorded in the western hemisphere until Hurricane Patricia in 2015.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Some people can not evacuate ie: emergency services, hospital and nursing home staff and a variety of others. You just continue to watch the track and pray for the best. For the most part, if you do not live directly on the beach or near the rivers or lakes, the barrier islands, or in mobile homes you are better off boarding up and and hunkering down after a certain point. Now the Keys are under a mandatory evacuation because they are in a direct line of the path. We have luckily managed to come out fine through Frances, Jean, and Wilma. I wish everyone the best and it will be interesting to see if we have cell service after the hurricane. If not, it will be back after a few days when AT&T mobilize there portable cell towers.

Feedback Score
    Got this text on my Tracfone (it runs on AT&T Tracfone SIM):

AT&T Free Msg: Hurricane Irma Efforts - As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way toward Florida we'd like to help out during this difficult time. You won't be charged for any talk, text, and data overages from 9/8-9/17. Go to att.com/hurricaneirma for more info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post

AT&T Free Msg: Hurricane Irma Efforts - As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way toward Florida we'd like to help out during this difficult time. You won't be charged for any talk, text, and data overages from 9/8-9/17. Go to att.com/hurricaneirma for more info.
    Yep I just got the same text too.
    I was surprized.
    I'm using Tracfone running AT&T.
    I didn't check to see if it deducted a text from my bucket, but I have a lot of texts left.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

Device(s)
    ZTE Citrine (GSM), Samsung Galaxy Luna (CDMA), LG Rebel (CDMA), LG L238C (CDMA)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post

I got that same text as well on my Tracfone GSM (AT&T) ZTE Citrine.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    We still have power, but there are many without.
    http://www.fplmaps.com/

Feedback Score
    Stay safe FAUguy.

It's hard to find real vids of Irma. BS standing weathermen or talking heads in studios. I had to search through 12+ vids to get 2 that that give you the real deal. One from Sky UK & another from a guy on his balcony in Key Largo. All the others could have been stock footage idiot News.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I amazed we didn't lose power on my side of the neighborhood. The other side went dark at 2pm.
    No damage that I can see to structure, but plenty of branches are down.
    I would of been a lot worse if the Eye came up the East Cost of FL like they initially thought.
    I believe our highest wind gust in the area was around 100-110MPH.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    We lost power around 4 am on Monday and got it back around 5 pm. My inlaws are up in Sebastian, FL and lost power around 6 pm on Sunday and still do not have it back. We never lost cell service so everything is good here. In our area, it has been minimal damage and sporadic flooding. Much better than what we were originally expecting.

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score

Hurricane Irma

We are in Orlando, the eyewall hit us about 2-2.30 Monday morning, the ordeal was over10 hrs, so many destruction and power outage. We did not lose power but very close, AT&T service holds up well (Cricket) never lost data or messages and calls through out the storm. God bless for all who have been through this storm.