Thread: DMZ on Rogers phone dataplan

Feedback Score

DMZ on Rogers phone dataplan

I'm trying to setup remote location that is running home security and automation. I was able to setup using a SIM based modem with one of the dynamic dns providers. I'm not able to get from the outside world to my computer, camera etc. Internet is working , sending emails , etc. I'm certain the setup is working to provide internet services behind the modem. Is Rogers blocking the inbound connections? Is there anything I can do to setup a tunnel to my home (main) network?

Thanks for your feedback. End result is that I want to review / control remote location home automation using mobile connection. I have redundant power aspect of the system taken care of.

Feedback Score
    My guess is Rogers firewalls are blocking your inbound traffic.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    That's what I'm thinking too. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to go around that. VPN tunnel that would auto connect? etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It's probably not so much "firewall" per-se, but most wireless providers do double-NATting. So your "public" IP address is only public up to some point in the system (often the tower), and then shared beyond that. There's no way around it unless you have software specifically designed to work in that scenario (typically by using an intermediate server). Most automation and similar software won't be set up like that.

Feedback Score
    I think something like a team viewer will address my issues. Downsize is the PC must be always on. Will try this and report back for future references.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFreak View Post
    I think something like a team viewer will address my issues. Downsize is the PC must be always on.
    It would be always on anyway, regardless. Your modem only receives and transmits a signal, it doesn't process any alerts etc. like a computer does.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Feedback Score
    Teamviewer seems to have solved the access issue. It would be nice if I could do real DMZ to access my cameras through its native app rather than using Remote Desktop .

Hoping someone will come across this with another solution / suggestion.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmFreak View Post
    Hoping someone will come across this with another solution / suggestion.
    PageKite might be worth a look.
    https://pagekite.net/support/intro

Feedback Score
    Yes, you'd have to use a VPN. I have one setup at home just for instances like this. Its how I can download torrents etc over a cellular connection.

You can then open the ports on your home router (or VPN service provider) and route them to your internal IP on the VPN side of things. You could also 'Route all traffic over vpn' with most vpn clients, but that means *everything* goes over the VPN, but no headache with individual apps.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Yes, you'd have to use a VPN. I have one setup at home just for instances like this. Its how I can download torrents etc over a cellular connection.

You can then open the ports on your home router (or VPN service provider) and route them to your internal IP on the VPN side of things.
    Your setup works fine for outbound.
    OP would still be left with the challenge of making an inbound connection to a router behind Rogers' NAT.

Feedback Score
    On Bell, you were able to order a service called "Public IP address" or "Static IP address" for around extra $5 per month. It may have been limited to corporate plans only. This would give your device a real IP address that was directly accessible from the Internet. I was able to ping my phone directly from the Internet. I'm not sure if the same is possible from Rogers but it's worth asking.