Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma is going to be a real stress test for T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Hurricane Irma is going to be a real stress test for T-Mobile.

I may be guilty of belaboring the obvious but Hurricane Irma is going to be a real stress test for T-Mobile. With recovery underway from Harvey, now Irma is going to run right up the East Coast of Florida.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I imagine the emergency response team will be run thin cleaning up from Harvey and preparing for and eventually cleaning up after Irma. Same goes for the others too.
    This is really the first round of severe hurricanes in years and the first since LTE has really matured and it's quite impressive how well the networks held up in Texas overall, and will be interesting to see how they hold up in FL next.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I'm in ft Lauderdale, I'll let you know how it goes !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    " The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of a low price has faded from memory" > Aldo Gucci

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    The carriers did seem to prepare well for it

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I imagine the emergency response team will be run thin cleaning up from Harvey and preparing for and eventually cleaning up after Irma. Same goes for the others too.
    This is really the first round of severe hurricanes in years and the first since LTE has really matured and it's quite impressive how well the networks held up in Texas overall, and will be interesting to see how they hold up in FL next.
    Harvey and Irma are two different threats.

Harvey had some wind related damage along the south TX coast, but the majority of impacted sites came from flooding, transport loss, and power loss. While many sites have on-site battery backup units to run a few hours, not all sites have generators, be it diesel or natural gas or propane. So even if the generator ran as intended for days, if the site was inaccessible due to flooding, the tanks couldn't be topped off. Or if the transport was lost, its all moot anyways.

Irmas threat is wind, and physical security of the sites is a greater risk with these. Antennas could come loose, towers could possibly fall, microwave antennas shifted, knocking out transport. On top of that, there's the ever present flood threat as well, but wind is going to be a greater cause for concern.

All of this to say, restoring power/transport after Harvey's wake can be much easier than putting up a whole new tower, or replacing radios and antennas and feeder lines lost to wind damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I blame Algore.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    TMobile backup power has gotten better over the past few years but with a storm like that damage can be great so even the best backups can fail at that point. Hopefully it continues to weaken more before landfall

Feedback Score
    The carriers are doing there best but mother nature is still unbeatable at times.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I saw on the news that one of the islands that took a direct hit had many cell towers that were snapped in half from the wind. I'm sure it's going to be a long while before those are back up and running.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Well I hope you can remain safe. Watching the reports it seems like Florida is going to be devastated

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottneon View Post
    Well I hope you can remain safe. Watching the reports it seems like Florida is going to be devastated
    Just remember that the news media always shows the worst and tries to make you believe that it's like that everywhere. Even when the levees blew out and New Orleans flooded, there were still parts of the city that were unaffected.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Saw where some are posting fake forecast models online and also saying it's a category 7 or 8 which is crazy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post
    Fortunately the latest tracking shows Irma missing the SE coast now. So Lauderdale should avoid the major storm.

Name:  MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL11_swath_1280x720 3.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  50.1 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Fortunately the latest tracking shows Irma missing the SE coast now. So Lauderdale should avoid the major storm.
    Fortunate? Have you ever seen Ft. Myers? Nothing about Irma can be called "fortunate".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post

Name:  MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL11_swath_1280x720 3.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  50.1 KB
    Yeah so instead of the east coast of FL getting pounded, the west coast will get pounded instead and according to the news I saw last night, that would be worse.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast