Thread: Looking to switch to Verizon with no contract, Nexus 6P. What should I consider?

Feedback Score

Looking to switch to Verizon with no contract, Nexus 6P. What should I consider?

My wife and I recently moved to Latrobe, PA. We have been on T-Mobile for a while, and we were happy with it. However, the service just isn't cutting it in the more remote parts of Pennsylvania, or in our current residence for that matter. Everyone in the area says that T-Mobile just isn't great around here. The consensus seems to be that only AT&T or Verizon are good options. I am leaning toward Verizon.

My wife and I both have Nexus 6P phones. We want to stay off of any contract and stick with these phones for the time being. I tend to approach 4 GB/mo. of data use because I tether my kids to play Pokemon Go a lot. She tends to be more in the 2-3 GB/mo. range.

Is there anything that I need to know if I walk into a Verizon store? Do I just ask for a SIM and the plans are standard? I remember in the past that often times the plans that one might be offered in the store might vary from what was available if you asked for the right thing, etc.

I am looking to make the change ASAP, possibly as soon as today. Thank you for any input.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The postpaid plans are the same no matter where you signed up at.

The traditional phone contract is a thing of the past. Device payment plans are the new process
    Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you already have 6Ps which work fine on VZW you may want to consider two prepaid vzw plans. They have 3gb for 40 a month and 7 gb for 50 a month. It may actually be cheaper to go this way.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I made the plunge yesterday and just switched over. I had been considering the pre-paid option, but once I walked in, somehow that wasn't something I was presented. Maybe it was the way I asked...maybe Verizon stores don't offer the pre-paid options? In any case, too early to say whether the service is markedly better. The kids wouldn't go with me yesterday to the parks where it was an issue. Go figure.

So, if I think about it a bit and go pre-paid, will they let me just make that switch relatively easily? And are there any differences to speak of? Prioritization? Anything?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
    I made the plunge yesterday and just switched over. I had been considering the pre-paid option, but once I walked in, somehow that wasn't something I was presented. Maybe it was the way I asked...maybe Verizon stores don't offer the pre-paid options? In any case, too early to say whether the service is markedly better. The kids wouldn't go with me yesterday to the parks where it was an issue. Go figure.

So, if I think about it a bit and go pre-paid, will they let me just make that switch relatively easily? And are there any differences to speak of? Prioritization? Anything?
    I think you have three days to back out without losing your activation fees. Look at the coverage map on Verizon and click on prepaid and look at your area. There are threads about prepaid speeds suffering now. Depending which plan you choose, the math might not make sense to switch. Verizon does make it easy to switch, but do it on the phone, to much grief from in store salesmen for me.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet