Thread: RANDOMLY not receiving texts

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

RANDOMLY not receiving texts

I think this is a service issue, but I can't tell. My wife and I both have Galaxy S8s. It seems since the last PRL update, we are RANDOMLY not getting SOME texts. I highlight SOME and RANDOMLY because those are the important bits . I can send her texts and she doesn't get them, then send some more and she will. It's issue is NOT just between the two of us, but that's the easiest to research.

I had several people tell me (via email or a text at another time).. "Hey, didn't you get my text". One who knew I was having issues sent me a screen shot of her texts to me showing my questions on a subject and her answers, I received all but TWO of the her answers.

It does not appear to matter if the sender is Android or iPhone. I have had people with both let me know I'm not receiving texts. I have cleared the Cache on my phone and that "MAY" have worked, but I did the same for my wife and it HAS NOT worked, so I really don't know now.

Neither party gets any indication the text didn't go through.

While we both use NextSMS for a text app, it's really just displaying the text messages the phone receives so I don't think that's the issue and I'm not finding any NextSMS users complaining either. The messages do not show in the stock app either.

When I research messages sent to my wife... as example, the delivery report says they were delivered.

We use this for our business, so this is getting a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    On the off chance that you installed the recent update that included LTE calling, I would make sure it is turned off for now, and the same for Wifi calling. This is not that likely as a cause but just an idea among others to try.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had some issues with our S8's initially but they went away. Specifically the issue was when we were in Airave coverage... are you using an Airave?

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I had some issues with our S8's initially but they went away. Specifically the issue was when we were in Airave coverage... are you using an Airave?
    Now this is interesting... YES.. We have Airave at work as it's a big metal/brick building in a part of town with spotty coverage. However, she did not have WiFi enabled on her phone today.

I needed to get ahold of her and had texted her. I waited a bit and then called and confirmed she did not get the text. I had her text me, I got it, and I was able to text her back.

Is it possible Airave is interfering some how even though she didn't have WiFi on?

Added.... I just looked at her phone regarding Wifi Calling and LTE Calling. When I checked on my phone, it was just disabled and that's it. On her phone, although it was checked as disabled, it was like it was in the middle of Configuration, so I let it complete as it was setting up WiFi calling. I then disabled it. I wonder if something was interfering because the WiFi Calling was partially setup (it was at a "click here to continue prompt) and not fully "disabled".

Open to other thoughts on this. Again her WiFi was disabled, so one would think it wouldn't interfere, but who knows I guess.

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so update... It's NOT the airave interfering. In fact, went to Sprint store (around the corner) they did a complete PRL update. on the phone that seemed more in-depth that the one that you get in settings. We also, just for giggles, re-seated the SIM card. Booted up the phone when finished while still in store, send a text from my phone... it didn't go through. However, right now, as I type this, I'm also having a text conversation with her, it seems to be working fine.

Yesterday, I was at the office and she was out on a run, I texted her.... nothing... She gets back to the office... I text again... it goes right through...

The weird part is the log is not showing anything being rejected on her end or not sent on my end.

So I think the clue is... how can a text NOT go through and not show some "unsent" somewhere? I know if I get texts while my phone is off, I get them all at once when it's turned back on.

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well if anyone is interested... problem solved. You must/should ensure you messages, and any other program like mail or voicemail programs that convert to voice to text etc... anything along those lines should be ADDED to the list of UNMONITORED under Device Maintenance/ App Power Monitor.

That was the issue... really simple.. the app (in my case NextSMS) would be put to sleep. Added it to the UnMonitored list, fine ever since.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mileskb View Post
    Well if anyone is interested... problem solved. You must/should ensure you messages, and any other program like mail or voicemail programs that convert to voice to text etc... anything along those lines should be ADDED to the list of UNMONITORED under Device Maintenance/ App Power Monitor.

That was the issue... really simple.. the app (in my case NextSMS) would be put to sleep. Added it to the UnMonitored list, fine ever since.
    Great tip! Since I made this change I've gotten all my texts

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app