Thread: I'm driving from Buffalo to Toronto. Which carrier will I pick up once I'm in Canada?

Feedback Score

I'm driving from Buffalo to Toronto. Which carrier will I pick up once I'm in Canada?

I have AT&T Prepaid SIM inserted in my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge unlocked. It's the international version that accepts two SIM cards.

I'm driving from NYC to Buffalo to Toronto in a couple of weeks. I assume the AT&T Prepaid SIM card will work fine in Canada. Well, it's the only reason I bought the SIM in the first place.

Once I cross the border into Canada, which Canadian carrier will I pick up? Is it all automatic? Which LTE bands do they use?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    It was Rogers all the time when I went to Toronto last June. I belive Band 7 is the only one Canada uses that the US doesn't.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about the bands but with my 6S I always picked up rogers as well. It's automatic, once you cross the boarder you'll get nonfunctional ATT coverage for a couple of miles and then it switches over to ROGERS eventually.

Ridiculous 5 bars at all times too!

Feedback Score
    What kind of data transfer speeds were you getting while on rogers? Like, was it on LTE or did it seem slow or?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It was 5 bars of LTE, speed tests rang up 30-40 mbps.

Quite stellar, I never really used my phone and thought 'damn I wish I had better signal.'

Feedback Score
    I got Rogers in Toronto airport, with high bars, but I kept losing connectivity on my note 4.... Something's wonky.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angrytable View Post
    It was 5 bars of LTE, speed tests rang up 30-40 mbps.

Quite stellar, I never really used my phone and thought 'damn I wish I had better signal.'
    I don't believe the bars anymore, at least not on my iPhone 7(Verizon).
    When it shows just 2 bars, I can get almost 70mbps on Verizon LTE.
    Sometimes even faster than 70mbps, but 90% of the time it's only
    60mbps to 70mbps.

However, if I put my AT&T SIM card in it and it shows 4 or 5 bars, I'm
    only getting around 25mbps at best on AT&T LTE.

Feedback Score
    Hi Amanda, I hope you and everyone doesn't mind me asking an off topic question. (I can't figure out how to pm you) When you put the Gophone sim card in to your Verizon model iphone 7, does visual voicemail work? I'm asking because i also have a verizon model iphone 7 using AT&T Prepaid and visual voicemail has never worked for me. I'd like to know if it ever works for someone with this situation. Thank you very much for letting me know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEX View Post
    Hi Amanda, I hope you and everyone doesn't mind me asking an off topic question. (I can't figure out how to pm you) When you put the Gophone sim card in to your Verizon model iphone 7, does visual voicemail work? I'm asking because i also have a verizon model iphone 7 using AT&T Prepaid and visual voicemail has never worked for me. I'd like to know if it ever works for someone with this situation. Thank you very much for letting me know.
    Sorry.. I don't even know what visual voicemail is. I've been using Google Voice for voicemail for the last several years.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JTEX View Post
    If you are on the AT&T network you should have visual voicemail.

I had it one time and I put my friends t-mobile sim to test if his sim was working and my phone wiped the visual voicemail.

I called customer service and it took me like 20 minutes to restore it, had to wipe all of my old voicemail and reset it on their end but at least it works now.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    I have AT&T Prepaid SIM inserted in my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge unlocked. It's the international version that accepts two SIM cards.

I'm driving from NYC to Buffalo to Toronto in a couple of weeks. I assume the AT&T Prepaid SIM card will work fine in Canada. Well, it's the only reason I bought the SIM in the first place.

Once I cross the border into Canada, which Canadian carrier will I pick up? Is it all automatic? Which LTE bands do they use?

Thanks!
    It will roam on Rogers as that is the Canada roaming partner. I assume you have either the $45/6GB or $65/Unlimited Prepaid plan as these are the only two prepaid AT&T plans with roaming. I use AT&T prepaid also and it works great in Canada.

It's automatic. I'm not sure what band Rogers uses but I've never had a problem in Canada. Speed is fast too, I've received up to 100Mbs at the Toronto airport! It's generally pretty good all over the city.

I use the dual sim S7 so similar to your phone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
    It will roam on Rogers as that is the Canada roaming partner. I assume you have either the $45/6GB or $65/Unlimited Prepaid plan as these are the only two prepaid AT&T plans with roaming. I use AT&T prepaid also and it works great in Canada.

It's automatic. I'm not sure what band Rogers uses but I've never had a problem in Canada. Speed is fast too, I've received up to 100Mbs at the Toronto airport! It's generally pretty good all over the city.

I use the dual sim S7 so similar to your phone!
    one quick question... I assume that I have to turn on roaming
    in order for the AT&T SIM card to pick up Rogers in Canada, right?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    one quick question... I assume that I have to turn on roaming
    in order for the AT&T SIM card to pick up Rogers in Canada, right?

Thanks!
    I think calling and texting work without roaming being turned on as it is part of the plan. However, if you want the data to work in Canada, there is an option to turn data roaming on in the settings. You can leave this on all the time as there are no roaming charges on these accounts and you will have uninterrupted coverage when you cross the border.