Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T network siituation in Florida, post-Irma

Carrier(s)
    The big blue globe
    Feedback Score

AT&T network siituation in Florida, post-Irma

To those of you located across the state of Florida, first off it's horrible to see the resulting situation across your beautiful state.

How did the AT&T network hold up during the storm Sunday, and now post-storm with the widespread power outages?

I have heard from family in the Sarasota area that AT&T's network continues to be up and running for the most part. Speeds however have been noticably reduced, which isn't surprisingly knowing how many people have likely turned to their devices for information in the power outages.

Hope everyone who was impacted is able to begin recovering as soon as possible!

Sent from my SM-G950U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Here In Miami the service was horrible for about 5+ hours during the day. drove around town alittle and some areas was showing no service or 1 bar. Currently service is better much better

Update— call drop happened a few times randomly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    My thoughts go out to everyone affected by Irma. Hope that your phones are all working as well!

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

In laws are on at&t and are having connection issues in Dunedin (Pinellas County Tampa Bay Area) phones go from 1 bar to no service quite a bit and data is hit or miss. He cannot hold a call for more than a few minutes. Sadly that is the same issues I am experiencing down the road in Clearwater with T-Mobile. Power outages all over my area are apparently plaguing towers also. Most of our damage was wind related, downed lines due to trees and structures cutting them. We have been told several days until most areas will have power restored. Thankfully my house didn't lose power or internet so Wi-Fi calling has saved the day.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Before the storm driving from Miami to Orlando area horrible service especially during all that horrible traffic waze and apple maps were taking forever to update I keep getting "no network" or "no data available" so I had to turn off LTE and maps were updating then while waiting for Irma in Orlando completely lost service and when I had service only 1 bar I couldn't make calls or data wasn't available... really bad bad experience. Also, I got an email saying that because of the storm At&t, Verizon and sprint won't charge for overages and I got an email today that my son's iPad went over the data allowance and they were charging me $15 per extra gig so how it's that?? I'm really pissed at this point with At&t, especial because while I had lost service a family member was able to make and received calls with her metroPCS phone??? Seriously? Great At&t!
    “Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.”

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by squall2099 View Post
    Here In Miami the service was horrible for about 5+ hours during the day. drove around town alittle and some areas was showing no service or 1 bar. Currently service is better much better

Update— call drop happened a few times randomly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same in Okeechobee --but, hey, it's Okeechobee!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ij9zapem View Post
    Before the storm driving from Miami to Orlando area horrible service especially during all that horrible traffic waze and apple maps were taking forever to update I keep getting "no network" or "no data available" so I had to turn off LTE and maps were updating then while waiting for Irma in Orlando completely lost service and when I had service only 1 bar I couldn't make calls or data wasn't available... really bad bad experience. Also, I got an email saying that because of the storm At&t, Verizon and sprint won't charge for overages and I got an email today that my son's iPad went over the data allowance and they were charging me $15 per extra gig so how it's that?? I'm really pissed at this point with At&t, especial because while I had lost service a family member was able to make and received calls with her metroPCS phone??? Seriously? Great At&t!
    You probably just got to disregard the text. I think it comes automated anyways, but I would just check your bill just to be on the safe side. As for your AT&T outage? Well I would imagine a storm that size would knock out a few cell towers.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    LG G5, G3, G Pad X 10.1
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    http://about.att.com/newsroom/irma_f...lls_texts.html

AT&T says "Customers in these areas may still receive data alert notifications during these protected dates, but billing will reflect the correct data charges."

Also, the billing ZIP code on the account must be a Florida ZIP. Credits will post in 2-3 cycles, so it sounds like you'll be charged and have to pay it on the first bill and then will see a credit later.
    AT&T customer since 2007; Alltel 2004-07. Android user since 2014 and will never go back to Apple.
    I recommend and use CellMapper and Sensorly for testing and mapping signal coverage and have contributed extensively to both projects in the greater St. Louis region and surrounding states.

Feedback Score
    AT&T likely has drones inspecting towers and repairs being made. Drone tests were ongoing before the storm and surely the drones would help enormously here and hopefully were put to use as much as possible. Electricity and cell phone service will be fixed.

AT&T was prepared for this storm. AT&T will definitely go cell site to cell site to make repairs and schedules for repair won't like differ much than repairs for power lines in terms of time schedules. East coast got less damage and those towers/antennas can be fixed sooner.

AT&T even weathered the storm in St Croix where the global switching facility is as global communications are working fine right now.

Localized equipment in Florida isn't a big deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    You probably just got to disregard the text. I think it comes automated anyways, but I would just check your bill just to be on the safe side. As for your AT&T outage? Well I would imagine a storm that size would knock out a few cell towers.
    Cellular carriers still have lots of towers down as per FCC reports. They are making progress in most areas. Will take more time to fix up the power grid and wireless antennas. I believe AT&T customers need to have a billing address in the affected storm areas to get credited. I am not sure how they determine credits, which will include residential and business.

I believe Verizon fared best from the storm in terms of having the least towers out. But hopefully as AT&T rebuilds they will add in additional resiliency during upgrades.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Even with backup generators, how long can a cell site remain online with power out for extended periods of time ie: days/weeks?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Even with backup generators, how long can a cell site remain online with power out for extended periods of time ie: days/weeks?
    Theoretically if it was natural gas generators on site and it was piped natural gas, it could work as long as natural gas was flowing. But I hear that the companies have to manually refuel the generators so I don't know know how long they last without refueling.

The power grid in the USA is based on antiquated technology as a much better, more resilient grid could be designed but each area has a monopoly on local power grids and there is no competition for new power delivery.

With wireless telecom providers, we have four national firms competing in the USA. With electrical utilities, there is just one firm based on location such as Florida Power and Light for those inside the service area.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Indefinitely, provided the generator is kept fueled and running.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I thought solar was the cure all for everything! /s

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I carry a solar pack right on my back. Now I don't have to get those 50k iu of vitamin d once a week

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast