Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATT Unite Explore - Antenna consensus?

Feedback Score

ATT Unite Explore - Antenna consensus?

Is there a consensus on best type and brand of antenna to run with the unite explore? I thought i had seen something before but have not been able to find it. I use as my home internet tethered to a ASUS router. Was contemplating the DC-112 since it has become available again to help with the 4G signal but was told it would be better with the antennas. I currently get between 100-110 DB depending on where i'm at in the house on , band 2.

Thanks in advance

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    I can comment that the Netgear branded antenna for their hotspots is useless. Wish I had returned it.

Feedback Score
    I have the Netgear antenna and it gives me between 5 and 8 db gain.

I also have a homemade parabolic antenna that gives me 8-12 db gain and let's me know exactly where it is pointing.

Lookup homemade parabolic antenna template on your favorite search engine and you will find a few.

Blow up the template as large as you can on the screen and trace it out on to a large sheet of paper. Tape that to cardboard or cardstock (I used a shirt box) and cut out the two pieces.

Line the reflector with aluminium foil and cut a slot on the support at the marked focal point to slide the unite into.

You can then aim it for best cell reception. It will reduce the WiFi range because you are refecting that also but it still filled the hotel room.

I used it at the hotel in Niagara Falls to make sure I was picking up the us signals and it worked great and the WiFi (5ghz) still filled the room.

Feedback Score
    Improved reception slightly, ~8-10 dB. I wasn't able to get onto Band 30 previously but now I am at between -110-115 dB. So the hotspot flips over to that when it feels like it and if I power cycle I lose the band 30 connection. Drives me nuts because on bands 2, 5, I pull between 0.5 and 2 mbps. When I go to band 30 it is between 15 and 20.

So all in all it is "meh" for me.

Feedback Score
    Someone answered another poster's question and it explained why I got better reception away from a window.

Some windows have a high e coating that blocks some of the signal.

Try it a little bit off center.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I guess people bought up the netgear antenna and now they are going for insane prices. I saw this one, you will have to buy sma female/ts9 adapters. Never dealt with this compant but if you want an antenna they maybe an option.

http://www.arcantenna.com/pulse-lars...x-picozed.html

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    I guess people bought up the netgear antenna and now they are going for insane prices. I saw this one, you will have to buy sma female/ts9 adapters. Never dealt with this compant but if you want an antenna they maybe an option.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd1 View Post
    Improved reception slightly, ~8-10 dB. I wasn't able to get onto Band 30 previously but now I am at between -110-115 dB. So the hotspot flips over to that when it feels like it and if I power cycle I lose the band 30 connection. Drives me nuts because on bands 2, 5, I pull between 0.5 and 2 mbps. When I go to band 30 it is between 15 and 20.

So all in all it is "meh" for me.
    Uhh not understanding dB scale? For every +3 dB gain translates to doubling the signal strength. For every +10 dB is 10 times the signal strength.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post

Holly crap, when I posted it was $26 now its $59, is everyone just trying to screw people now? I got it for $22 off flea bay this brand not netgear's relabeled one.

It works pretty well with the sma female to ts9 adapter, the flimsiness of the ts9 plugs on the Unite Explore shows up though. Could be the extra length of the adapters provide more leverage against plugs on the board. I wouldn't want to be moving the explore around alot with the antenna connected. I bought it cause I was curious how the antenna did compared to my Smart Cradle I had from my old Unite Pro. Seems that the antenna is 1db better than the antenna in the cradle. The boost is nice but I don't like the potential of breaking the antennna ports. I will continue using my cradle, its been working fine for me.

I will keep my antenna, it has sma connectors so I can use it for some other projects.

Feedback Score

DC112a works pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by cocky01 View Post
    Is there a consensus on best type and brand of antenna to run with the unite explore? I thought i had seen something before but have not been able to find it. I use as my home internet tethered to a ASUS router. Was contemplating the DC-112 since it has become available again to help with the 4G signal but was told it would be better with the antennas. I currently get between 100-110 DB depending on where i'm at in the house on , band 2.

Thanks in advance
    I have the DC112a and it works better than the external Netgear antenna with a ATT Unite explore. The firmware is old and buggy and freezes every day or two if you enable wireless. I am using it exclusively on Ethernet with the built in DHCP server and it works well , connected to a firewall and some external access points. It's very easy to connect/disconnect the unite explore too, and the battery charging logic will drop battery power to around 70% if you leave it plugged in for an extended period of time.

Peak internet speeds increased roughly 50% with the DC112a vs the UE alone. I get about 45 Mb/sec downloads at low use times and around 10 at peak times. Usually its around 15-20. Signal strength is at 98-100.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keason View Post
    I have the DC112a and it works better than the external Netgear antenna with a ATT Unite explore. The firmware is old and buggy and freezes every day or two if you enable wireless. I am using it exclusively on Ethernet with the built in DHCP server and it works well , connected to a firewall and some external access points. It's very easy to connect/disconnect the unite explore too, and the battery charging logic will drop battery power to around 70% if you leave it plugged in for an extended period of time.

Peak internet speeds increased roughly 50% with the DC112a vs the UE alone. I get about 45 Mb/sec downloads at low use times and around 10 at peak times. Usually its around 15-20. Signal strength is at 98-100.
    That's too bad as I was strongly considering the DC112A. So when on wifi and it freezes, do you cycle the power to fix it?

Feedback Score

ATT Unite Explore - Antenna Consensus?

Wow, I am glad I found this thread. I have been thinking of canceling DSL and going to the AT&T Unite Explore exclusively.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    That's too bad as I was strongly considering the DC112A. So when on wifi and it freezes, do you cycle the power to fix it?
    Yes, that fixes it but it takes about 2-3 min to reboot. So far no freezeups on ethernet alone. I took the battery out to make it easier to power cycle.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that fixes it but it takes about 2-3 min to reboot. So far no freezeups on ethernet alone. I took the battery out to make it easier to power cycle.
    Thanks. I think I'll still get it because my speeds are ~10-15 down and I really wouldn't mind getting close to 20 if I can. Plus the increased wifi range is a plus. It seems like there's no other options out there (like there is with Verizon's T1114).

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Cricket (TEMP)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yes mine does the same (http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0!!!!!/page304) post #4552

Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    Thanks. I think I'll still get it because my speeds are ~10-15 down and I really wouldn't mind getting close to 20 if I can. Plus the increased wifi range is a plus. It seems like there's no other options out there (like there is with Verizon's T1114).
    also itll be alot cheaper per month-phone line and DSL service is prob like $40?
    Sign up for Ibotta, the app that really helps you save money on item's you already buy, click on the link below to get a $10 bonus! After $20 you can send the funds to a PayPal account or a gift card (wal-mart,target,giant eagle etc)

https://www.ibotta.com/r/vkubwkv

Don't have Ibotta? download it here:

Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibotta.android

iPhone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibotta/id559887125

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast