Thread: ZTE Blade ZMAX. No FM radio.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

ZTE Blade ZMAX. No FM radio.

The phone comes with the FM Radio App installed (and you can't remove it, only disable it). But, the app doesn't work. I also tried FM Radio Lite app to test if there actually IS an FM radio capability on the phone... and it appears that there isn't.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Did you try with a headset?

This website says it has FM Radio.

Some phones include an integrated FM radio for listening to live-broadcast FM radio stations. Some phones with this feature require that a headset be connected to use this feature, so that the headset wire can be used as an antenna.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5548

However, it did not mention FM Radio on the specs on the company website.

https://www.zteusa.com/blade-z-max

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Certainly is dumb for a company to include a radio app if phone is not capable.

I really didn't know know much about Zte until I started seeing all the hype about this new model.

Starting to think Zte is just a steaming pile of hype.

I was going to buy this phone in a few days. Now I don't know.

Probably will go ahead and get it since it's practically free.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Most phones with FM require wired headphones to work.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion of needing to plug in headphones. However, still the same results.

The only thing I can figure is that if the phone actually has FM Radio capability, then perhaps ZTE neglected to turn on the chip? But, I'd have to find a hidden menu to check/turn it on.

My guess is that ZTE included the FM Radio app thinking they were going to add the FM Chip, but then didn't.

If the FM Chip is in there, then maybe a firmware update will fix this issue.

Just wanted to let people know what is up with this particular feature, since it's listed in many places on the web as containing that ability.

Edit:

I ran a few sensor test/system info apps. An FM Radio device doesn't appear in any of them.

Also, more bad news about the FM RADIO APP. You CAN'T disable it. You can't remove it. The app doesn't work, the phone doesn't seem to even have an FM Chip, AND it uses battery and memory. For NOTHING.

Last edited by cellphone-guy; 09-13-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Certainly is dumb for a company to include a radio app if phone is not capable.

I really didn't know know much about Zte until I started seeing all the hype about this new model.

Starting to think Zte is just a steaming pile of hype.

I was going to buy this phone in a few days. Now I don't know.

Probably will go ahead and get it since it's practically free.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
    In reading another post here on the Blade vs Pro, poster gave a big thumbs down on the Blade, especially with the camera. Seems the Zte Max Pro is a better phone. Search for the thread.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    In reading another post here on the Blade vs Pro, poster gave a big thumbs down on the Blade, especially with the camera. Seems the Zte Max Pro is a better phone. Search for the thread.
    Yeah, considering that. Don't really want to get a new phone without Nougat though.

I think I will really be able to make good use of the split screen function of Nougat. Among probably other new features.

Still considering the Pro though. If I knew there was a good chance it will get Nougat I'd be less hesitant.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Yeah, considering that. Don't really want to get a new phone without Nougat though.

I think I will really be able to make good use of the split screen function of Nougat. Among probably other new features.

Still considering the Pro though. If I knew there was a good chance it will get Nougat I'd be less hesitant.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
    If you're choosing between the Pro and the Blade, the Blade has a longer lasting battery and newer OS. The dual camera, in my opinion is just a gimmick and actually doesn't offer any improvement in image quality over the camera on the Pro. You can actually COVER one of the lenses (the one nearest the center) and it doesn't effect pictures at all unless it's the bokeh (blurred) mode. If anything the camera on the BLADE is worse (no real slow motion mode and seems to be worse in low light).

If you own a PRO, then upgrading is probably a bad idea. If you're choosing between the two phones, it will depend on how important Battery and OS are to you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Welp, RADIO WORKS, PERFECTLY!!!!!!!

Using right now!!!

Just got in from buying Blade Z Max(a few hours ago).

So far, so good. On everything!

(Guess I might have to take back what I said above. We'll see.).

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Welp.... that's funny. Mine absolutely DOES NOT WORK. And other apps say NO FM RADIO on the phone.

I wonder what is up. Can anyone else test this?

This is as far as I get....

UPDATE:

Ok, after seeing the above post claiming it works, I tried starting the FM RADIO app about 20 times. No success. I restarted the phone, went into settings and cleaned app data. When trying again it closed the first time. But on the second try it STARTED. So, there IS indeed an FM Chip in there. But, for some reason when I closed the app it would not start again at all. Same problem as before. But, if I restart the phone, clear app data, and try again.... SOMETIMES it will start. Out of about 50 tries and three resets... I got it to work twice.

Very strange. I'd love to hear other experiences!! Maybe I have a defective unit or a problem with my FM RADIO app.

Last edited by cellphone-guy; 09-19-2017 at 04:18 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Definitely need to exchange, if you can.

Don't use radio much myself but want it there if I do need to listen.

Just tried to use again, 2 days later. No issues. Still perfect. So have only tried to open app 2 times and both times worked. Never failed to open, yet.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

No issues here......