Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 112

Thread: New to Tracfone - Triple Minutes?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0

    New to Tracfone - Triple Minutes?

    Can a new Tracfone customer still get Triple Minutes by purchasing a Triples Minutes phone or BYOP sim kit?

    (My end goal is to have a Triple Minutes sim in a smartphone of my choosing.)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, it's possible by doing what you wrote.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,388
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Yes, it's possible by doing what you wrote.
    What does one look for these days for the BYOP activation kit to know if it is triple units?

    Are there Smartphone plan only kits out there yet?

    Obviously, if it says triple, it is triple. I have discarded the packaging on all my old ones so I don't know what the package said.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    4,072
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What does one look for these days for the BYOP activation kit to know if it is triple units?

    Are there Smartphone plan only kits out there yet?

    Obviously, if it says triple, it is triple. I have discarded the packaging on all my old ones so I don't know what the package said.
    There are old and new type SIM kits available in retail stores and online. Old kits will say "3x>talk+text+data".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,024
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What does one look for these days for the BYOP activation kit to know if it is triple units?

    Are there Smartphone plan only kits out there yet?

    Obviously, if it says triple, it is triple.
    Some kits don't mention 3x, but has TMFL. The key thing is the price mentioned on the cover. $19.99 is a traditional card, that kit has TMFL. $15 is a smartphone card, that kit has no TMFL.

    Name:  Tracfone-SIM-Kits-side-by-side.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  85.4 KB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Yes, it's possible by doing what you wrote.
    Thank you. I've read that it can be cheaper to purchase certain phones that come with a year of service plus minutes/texts/data and transfer the balance.

    Do you know if this would work?

    1. Purchase Straight Talk iPhone.

    2. Purchase BYOP kit (that says 3x) with nano sim.

    3. Purchase Triple Minutes phone (has micro sim).

    4. Activate Triple Minutes phone, confirm balance, wait a couple days.

    5. Transfer Triple Minutes balance to BYOP nano sim (on Tracfone's website?).

    6. Activate iPhone with BYOP nano sim.

    Now I should have Tracfone service on an iPhone that I can get 3x on if I refill using the non-smartphone refill cards?

    Thanks in advance

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, looks good. In step 5 you need the IMEI number of the iPhone if it's a CDMA SIM.

    Quote Originally Posted by rustler View Post
    Thank you. I've read that it can be cheaper to purchase certain phones that come with a year of service plus minutes/texts/data and transfer the balance.

    Do you know if this would work?

    1. Purchase Straight Talk iPhone.

    2. Purchase BYOP kit (that says 3x) with nano sim.

    3. Purchase Triple Minutes phone (has micro sim).

    4. Activate Triple Minutes phone, confirm balance, wait a couple days.

    5. Transfer Triple Minutes balance to BYOP nano sim (on Tracfone's website?).

    6. Activate iPhone with BYOP nano sim.

    Now I should have Tracfone service on an iPhone that I can get 3x on if I refill using the non-smartphone refill cards?

    Thanks in advance

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    4,072
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Some kits don't mention 3x, but has TMFL. The key thing is the price mentioned on the cover. $19.99 is a traditional card, that kit has TMFL. $15 is a smartphone card, that kit has no TMFL.
    They must have removed the 3x wording on the package front when going from a 2 carrier to a 3 carrier. If you have one in hand, the back will also show the difference of what airtime cards the kit supports. Yes, the $19.99 or $15 give it away.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,523
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What does one look for these days for the BYOP activation kit to know if it is triple units?

    Are there Smartphone plan only kits out there yet?

    Obviously, if it says triple, it is triple. I have discarded the packaging on all my old ones so I don't know what the package said.
    If you have sims without packaging, there may be a way to tell which is which by looking at the serial numbers. The new-fangled sims seem to have serial numbers that start with higher numbers after the bunch of zeroes. Also, the new kits contain T-Mo sims, I believe. I have not yet seen a new kit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    5,999
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    There are TMFL SIM kits that include T-Mobile.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,088
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    There are TMFL SIM kits that include T-Mobile.
    Yes, those are the ones that say "three networks" (as pictured above) but are not the Smartphone kits.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    Image hpham posted which illustrates SIM serial # difference:
    http://www.howardforums.com/attachme...hmentid=153827

    Notice the 348 in new smartphone-plan only SIM serial # vs 192 in old TMFL SIM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    If you have sims without packaging, there may be a way to tell which is which by looking at the serial numbers. The new-fangled sims seem to have serial numbers that start with higher numbers after the bunch of zeroes. Also, the new kits contain T-Mo sims, I believe. I have not yet seen a new kit.
    Cheers!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,510
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a VZ SIM from a 3x Kit that reads 00000312. So 00000348 is somehow the demarcation point for smartphone only SIMs?

    It would also seem that any phone bundle sold with 3x 1200/365 will be a TMFL phone going forward, no? That is 400/365 card so how would they later SKU it as SPO?
    So when you purchase TF bundle with 3x 1200/365 on eBay or HSN or wherever, what are you actually getting?

    I have noticed lately that when I access the TF website without logging on (history/cookies having been cleared), if I click on airtime/service plans and in the pop up click view plans without choosing either smart or basic phone all the basic cards show 3x? If I choose basic phone in the pop up before clicking view plans they do show 2x?
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,230
    Feedback Score
    0
    We're not sure if there's a serial number demarcation or what ........... just an observation at this point as we were comparing differences between the two SIMs. If your 3x SIM is 0000 0312, that's interesting as it seems that a handful of other 3x SIMs I've seen were 0000 01xx.

    If the bundled phones specifically say there are triple minutes, then I'd expect them to be triple minutes. They don't have to be TMFL to come bundled with 1200/1200/1200 or 1500/1500/1500. Did you buy a bundled phone recently that came with a physical 400/365 card? I thought they stopped sending physical cards and PINs a long time ago. It's just coded according to the bundle phone serial number now and automatically added upon activation of the bundle phone.

    I'm not sure I understand the logic of their website showing 2x vs 3x without asking for a phone number or SIM number.

    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I have a VZ SIM from a 3x Kit that reads 00000312. So 00000348 is somehow the demarcation point for smartphone only SIMs?

    It would also seem that any phone bundle sold with 3x 1200/365 will be a TMFL phone going forward, no? That is 400/365 card so how would they later SKU it as SPO?

    I have noticed lately that when I access the TF website without logging on (history/cookies having been cleared), if I click on airtime/service plans and in the pop up click view plans without choosing either smart or basic phone all the basic cards show 3x? If I choose basic phone in the pop up before clicking view plans they do show 2x?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    460
    Feedback Score
    0

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 11:51 PM
  3. New to Tracfone
    By MojoMarine in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
  4. New to Tracfone, new LG600G, what next?
    By davemis in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
  5. completely new to TRACFONE ..
    By lucky89 in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 09:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks