Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New to Tracfone - Triple Minutes?

Feedback Score
    It might depend on which phone you have.

Feedback Score
    Not exactly clear what you are saying.. . TracFone BYOP SIM kits are either TMFL or smartphone-refill only - totally independent of the BYOP phone you use them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    It might depend on which phone you have.

Feedback Score
    Might not be a BYOP phone. Might be a Tracfone phone. Does that make a difference? Serial number might be in Tracfone system as 3x. No idea.

Feedback Score
    You ordered exactly what from where for what exact phone? Lack of details causing confusion with me and others.

Quote Originally Posted by rustler View Post
    Hi,

I ordered one of the old BYOP sims but they shipped me one of the new smartphone sims instead. Will it still work (give TMFL) if I have a TMFL phone or should I return it? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post
    Confused.
    If you have a TMFL phone, why are you buying a sim?
    The TMFL is there for the life of the phone.

If the sim package does not state the 3X triple, then it will not triple.
    Did you pay $1 for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    You ordered exactly what from where for what exact phone? Lack of details causing confusion with me and others.
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm the original poster of this thread:

Do you know if this would work?

1. Purchase Straight Talk iPhone.

2. Purchase BYOP kit (that says 3x) with nano sim.

3. Purchase Triple Minutes phone (has micro sim).

4. Activate Triple Minutes phone, confirm balance, wait a couple days.

5. Transfer Triple Minutes balance to BYOP nano sim (on Tracfone's website?).

6. Activate iPhone with BYOP nano sim.

Now I should have Tracfone service on an iPhone that I can get 3x on if I refill using the non-smartphone refill cards?

Thanks in advance
    I ordered what should have been a 3x BYOP kit but they sent me one of the new non-3x BYOP kits. My question was if the above plan would still work or if I need to return the sim and try to find one of the old 3x ones.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    You should be able to transfer to the CDMA nano SIM that came with the Straight Talk phone. Any reason you don't want to do that?

And where did you order the BYOP kit from?

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm the original poster of this thread:

I ordered what should have been a 3x BYOP kit but they sent me one of the new non-3x BYOP kits. My question was if the above plan would still work or if I need to return the sim and try to find one of the old 3x ones.

Thanks

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    I'm slightly confused about this whole topic (just throwing input out there)

The smartphone only plans are basically cousins of their tripled non-smartphone counterparts. (already tripled if you compare price)

Usually a slightly better deal, unless I'm missing something?

For example:
    The $35 90 service day 200 min card (triples to 600 in smartphone) is WORSE than it's "cousin"
    Smartphone only plan $35 750/1000/1GB (60 service days)
    The ONLY "loss" is 30 service days (which is not an issue either of us are running into)
    My (Our) Phone History AaG:
    Tracfone (Vz) since '08 < BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526 since '16 < Huawei Glory H868C '14 < LG800g '12? < Motorola W376g '08
    Verizon & Sprint '05 < Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    Alltel & Cingular '03 < A Flip '03
    AT&T '01 < A Flip '01

Feedback Score
    Yes, you are correct and not missing anything .

Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    I'm slightly confused about this whole topic (just throwing input out there)

The smartphone only plans are basically cousins of their tripled non-smartphone counterparts. (already tripled if you compare price)

Usually a slightly better deal, unless I'm missing something?

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Yes, you are correct and not missing anything .
    LOL Good to know So I went back and (re)read the thread (again) and it seems that a "rumor" is floating that smartphones can't be loaded with "standard" cards now?

Is there a thread I could read this "new" info on? Thx!

We've been very happy with our previously prepaid non-TW smartphones (almost/over 2+yrs in service) ON tracfone service (until yesterday lol)

So I'm completely unaware of this development!

Feedback Score
    Newer smartphones which say smartphone-plan only and the newer BYOP SIM kits which aren't marked TMFL won't give TMFL when a standard/basic refill is used and the TracFone website won't even allow you to buy a basic refill for those phones.

There's a thread around here discussing all this.

LOL Good to know So I went back and (re)read the thread (again) and it seems that a "rumor" is floating that smartphones can't be loaded with "standard" cards now?

Is there a thread I could read this "new" info on? Thx!

We've been very happy with our previously prepaid non-TW smartphones (almost/over 2+yrs in service) ON tracfone service (until yesterday lol)

So I'm completely unaware of this development!

Feedback Score
    Is there a thread I could read this "new" info on?
    Here is the thread that started the loss of TMFL subject. Quite an interest at 42 pages!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ghlight=triple

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Here is the thread that started the loss of TMFL subject. Quite an interest at 42 pages!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ghlight=triple
    Thank you so much for that link, I was trying to search for it with no luck!

Back on topic, other then the 90day vs 60day, the smartphone only "plan" cards are mostly equivalent (for "normal"/"regular" users)

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for that link, I was trying to search for it with no luck!

Back on topic, other then the 90day vs 60day, the smartphone only "plan" cards are mostly equivalent (for "normal"/"regular" users)
    Using smartphone-only plans would be a significant increase in monthly cost unless you know about and take advantage of the $50 one year service time add-on, which is only available online.

With the $20 90 day pay as you go card, your minimum cost is about $6-7 per month. With the $25 60 day smartphone card, your minimum cost jumps to about $12.50 per month.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Using smartphone-only plans would be a significant increase in monthly cost unless you know about and take advantage of the $50 one year service time add-on, which is only available online.

With the $20 90 day pay as you go card, your minimum cost is about $6-7 per month. With the $25 60 day smartphone card, your minimum cost jumps to about $12.50 per month.
    Hence my reference to "normalaka active" users, for us (personally) it is actually cheaper (we use more data than talk, so the minutes are techinally a bonus for us). We get more minutes & data per purchase then "standard" card. Our tracfones are our main/only phone (with heavy hangouts/voice use). We only need the minutes/data when away from the house/work, which isn't often, lol

Also we use tracfone BECAUSE we don't *have* to spend hundreds up-front or monthly (which we don't have), we ARE the targeted user group, lol... Do we get the cheapest minutes by tracfone, not always, BUT it works out cheaper -because- we only top up when any one balance gets low, without losing anything we've paid for previously (monthly "unlimited" plans are "limited" in that you MUST pay monthly or loose your service/balances, etc), we aren't regular heavy users of any one service.
    But this is getting way off track, sorry!

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Hence my reference to "normalaka active" users, for us (personally) it is actually cheaper (we use more data than talk, so the minutes are techinally a bonus for us). We get more minutes & data per purchase then "standard" card. Our tracfones are our main/only phone (with heavy hangouts/voice use). We only need the minutes/data when away from the house/work, which isn't often, lol

Also we use tracfone BECAUSE we don't *have* to spend hundreds up-front or monthly (which we don't have), we ARE the targeted user group, lol... Do we get the cheapest minutes by tracfone, not always, BUT it works out cheaper -because- we only top up when any one balance gets low, without losing anything we've paid for previously (monthly "unlimited" plans are "limited" in that you MUST pay monthly or loose your service/balances, etc), we aren't regular heavy users of any one service.
    But this is getting way off track, sorry!
    It's great that it works for you. I don't know what a "normal" user is.

I'm just pointing out that there is a significant change for minimum monthly cost.

With my BYOP smartphones that support TMFL, I have access to both smartphone-only plans and pay as you go plans. I like more options, not less. For example, I can add the $20 smartphone plan when I need more minutes or the $20 60 minute card when I need more days of service.

Perhaps someday, TracFone will add a $20 smartphone card that has 90 days of service. Then I won't care if I lose access to the pay as you go plans.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast