Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New to Tracfone - Triple Minutes?

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I don't know what a "normal" user is.
    Now you know...

Name:  Normal Phone User.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  82.4 KB

Edit, I forgot to give credit...
    http://www.moosemansscrawls.com/2013...hone-user.html

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    [B]Now you know...

[ PICTURE ]
    Purely priceless
    My (Our) Phone History AaG:
    Tracfone (Vz) since '08 < BYOP/Vzw HTC Desire 526 since '16 < Huawei Glory H868C '14 < LG800g '12? < Motorola W376g '08
    Verizon & Sprint '05 < Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    Alltel & Cingular '03 < A Flip '03
    AT&T '01 < A Flip '01

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    You should be able to transfer to the CDMA nano SIM that came with the Straight Talk phone. Any reason you don't want to do that?

And where did you order the BYOP kit from?
    Best Buy.

So if I skip the BYOP sim altogether, I should be able to transfer from my TMFL phone directly to the Straight Talk iPhone and still (1) retain my original tripled minutes, (2) be able to add new non-smartphone refills to the Straight Talk iPhone and have them triple? That's what I want to accomplish.

Maybe I overcomplicated things. The reason I was going to transfer from a TMFL phone is because it seemed like it would save $50-75 over the cost of a 1 year service card.

the newer BYOP SIM kits which aren't marked TMFL won't give TMFL when a standard/basic refill is used
    This is why I thought I needed a BYOP TMFL SIM kit to make it work.

Feedback Score
    The TMFL does not transfer.
    It is based on the phone, so you will need a TMFL sim on the new phone.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if the SIM which came with the ST iPhone will give you TMFL like they originally used to. There's a good chance it will give TMFL, but no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by rustler View Post
    Best Buy.

So if I skip the BYOP sim altogether, I should be able to transfer from my TMFL phone directly to the Straight Talk iPhone and still (1) retain my original tripled minutes, (2) be able to add new non-smartphone refills to the Straight Talk iPhone and have them triple? That's what I want to accomplish.

Maybe I overcomplicated things. The reason I was going to transfer from a TMFL phone is because it seemed like it would save $50-75 over the cost of a 1 year service card.

Feedback Score
    The SIM that came with the IPhone may be TMFL - no way that I'm aware of to know for sure without trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLC View Post

Feedback Score
    The SIM that came with the IPhone may be TMFL - no way that I'm aware of to know for sure without trying it.
    It is a Straight Talk iphone that he/she is buying to use on TracFone.
    I know nothing about ST, but would the sim that came with the phone be usable and have TMFL?
    If that is the case, why are there so many posts where people Sim swapped?

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Thank you. I've read that it can be cheaper to purchase certain phones that come with a year of service plus minutes/texts/data and transfer the balance.
    Correct, phone plus minutes bundles are occasionally very good deals

Do you know if this would work?
    1. Purchase Straight Talk iPhone.
    2. Purchase BYOP kit (that says 3x) with nano sim.
    3. Purchase Triple Minutes phone (has micro sim).
    4. Activate Triple Minutes phone, confirm balance, wait a couple days.
    5. Transfer Triple Minutes balance to BYOP nano sim (on Tracfone's website?).
    6. Activate iPhone with BYOP nano sim.

Now I should have Tracfone service on an iPhone that I can get 3x on if I refill using the non-smartphone refill cards?
    Thanks in advance
    The only reason a 3x SIM card is "needed" (in a smartphone), is if one regularly wants to top up with basic airtime cards. Are you needing to do this?
    Otherwise, Depending on your usage, the smartphone only plans give equivalent or better unit values @60days instead of 90days.
    Also as possibly mentioned, you might not need another SIM IF the included SIM you have can be activated by switching your bundle tracfone service to it.

Has anyone "verified" if it's a "smartphone" SIM or a "3x" SIM?

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Best Buy.

Here is a post in another thread that might help you out =)
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Go here: https://www.tracfone.com/activation/byopcollectesn/VZW and enter the IMEI of the iPhone 5s. It should come back as compatible. Assuming it does, continue with the following steps.

Get on chat and give them the phone number of your current Tracfone/Verizon line that is on the Moto G4 Play. Ask them to give you your current balances for minutes, texts and data and your service end date.

Then tell them that you want to transfer your service to a new phone and give them the IMEI and the ICCID (SIM #) for the iPhone 5s. They should be able to transfer the service nearly instantly and have you turn off the old phone and turn on the new phone and try to make an outgoing call.

Have them verify the balance and service end date were transferred and check them in your account for the new phone.

After you've completed the chat session and before you close the chat window, click the envelope icon to have the chat transcript emailed to you. Don't close the chat window until you've received that email. You can also copy and paste the chat session. This is so that you have documentation of the transfer and balances in case something goes wrong.

The chat transcript will include a customer service reference number. You can also ask the chat agent for that number in case you don't get the transcript.

Feedback Score
    ST is a TracFone company. It's been proven by others that smartphones from other TracFone companies (ST, TW, etc) can be activated on TracFone. The CDMA SIM from such a phone works on TracFone and the IMEI is whitelisted for CDMA/Verizon use on TracFone. SIM swapping would work too, but unlike with phones that are not whitelisted, it's not the only option here.

It is a Straight Talk iphone that he/she is buying to use on TracFone.
    I know nothing about ST, but would the sim that came with the phone be usable and have TMFL?
    If that is the case, why are there so many posts where people Sim swapped?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post

The only reason a 3x SIM card is "needed" (in a smartphone), is if one regularly wants to top up with basic airtime cards. Are you needing to do this?
    Otherwise, Depending on your usage, the smartphone only plans give equivalent or better unit values @60days instead of 90days.
    Also as possibly mentioned, you might not need another SIM IF the included SIM you have can be activated by switching your bundle tracfone service to it.
    There are a few cases where this is not necessarily true, especially if you need minutes and do not mind spending a little more to also extend days of service by a year. Admittedly there are only a few you can put together, but one example is if you were to purchase the $100 Basic card 1200/1200/1200/365 and then a $25 SOP card you get 1700/2200/1700/425 for the same cost as the $125 SOP. SOP only would not allow you this option or the higher cost $160/$200 year options that, arguably, could be considered better deals.

If you simply purchase the $50 365 add-on you get short changed on minutes in any combo that equals ~$125 or 365 days of service. My argument is you should be getting a little more for your $50 than just a years worth of service if you extrapolate the costs of those card that do give you a years worth of service, wheter you think you need the t/t/d or not.
    I think those who have built up 1000's x ? of units or their use is so limited and only need days are in the minority of average TF users.

We obviously could go round and round on many combos, but all the SOP cards short you on minutes if you factor in the 60 vs 90 days. IMO the $45 and $50 SOP cards are really shorting you on minutes and more, especially when Amazon bundles claim 1000/2000/2.0/60 is a $40 value. The eBay bundle that includes 1000/2000/500/90 is not given a value but in comparison to the Amazon I would rate it at $30, where are these "cards/plans"?

The process to add these and other bundles to lower you costs or to simply bolster you minutes days is or certainly can be a PITA.

My biggest pet peeve is TF not coming up with SOP cards that are more heavy weighted on minutes/days and or a la carte minute cards at a reasonable cost, this IMO would increase subscribers and or improve retention.
    This suggestion comes when so many other TF subs are adding much more value to those services with heavy increases to data allotments and where data is at a premium compared to minutes.

Just my 2c

Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    You gave the detailed version of exactly what I said

Feedback Score
    Everyone here has been so helpful. Thanks so much!

Just to clarify, when I activate the old phone that came with TMFL, it should go from 400 to 1200. Then if I transfer the 1200 from the old phone to the Straight Talk iPhone, I should keep all 1200 if everything goes right? So the tripled balance would transfer, but what would not transfer is the ability to add basic airtime cards to the new smartphone in the future and have them triple. Do I have that right?

I'm not sure if the SIM which came with the ST iPhone will give you TMFL like they originally used to. There's a good chance it will give TMFL, but no guarantees.
    So the SIM that came with the ST iPhone used to give triple minutes if you added basic airtime cards to the ST iPhone? Any idea when they stopped doing that? I inspected the packaging of the SIM which came with the ST iPhone (not going to open anything just yet until I know if I need to return it). The SIM came in a gray package with a red insert. On the back of the SIM package it has logos for Straight Talk Wireless and Total Wireless. On the front, it has "12/2016" printed on it.

In that case, I'm thinking I might want to get my hands on one of the old TMFL BYOP SIMs if I can find one. Any idea where I could find one (online/in-store)? I might try Best Buy in-store when I return the non-TMFL smartphone SIM kit.

Here is a post in another thread that might help you out =)
    Thanks. That sounds like a solid option for transferring my balance. If possible, I'd also like to be able to top up with basic airtime cards and have them triple like "tracbourne" mentions below.

Correct, phone plus minutes bundles are occasionally very good deals

Has anyone "verified" if it's a "smartphone" SIM or a "3x" SIM?
    The BYOP SIM kit I ordered turned out to be a smartphone SIM (it's one of the ones that say '$15'). I have no idea if the SIM that came with the ST iPhone gives "3x" or not.

I use campus wifi a lot so the 1 year basic airtime cards or phone bundles seem like the most economical way to get days of service with light min/txt/data usage.

Thanks everyone!

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify, when I activate the old phone that came with TMFL, it should go from 400 to 1200. Then if I transfer the 1200 from the old phone to the Straight Talk iPhone, I should keep all 1200 if everything goes right? So the tripled balance would transfer, but what would not transfer is the ability to add basic airtime cards to the new smartphone in the future and have them triple. Do I have that right?
    Yes, the bundle phone will triple the activation airtime, THAT balance will then be transferred IN full (get the verification of your account balances as previously stated before & after the transfer) to the buckets of your smartphone SIM.

So the SIM that came with the ST iPhone used to give triple minutes if you added basic airtime cards to the ST iPhone? Any idea when they stopped doing that? I inspected the packaging of the SIM which came with the ST iPhone (not going to open anything just yet until I know if I need to return it). The SIM came in a gray package with a red insert. On the back of the SIM package it has logos for Straight Talk Wireless and Total Wireless. On the front, it has "12/2016" printed on it.
    That is the question, previously ST SIMs could not be activated on Tracfone "itself" (or the other way around, because they are "cousins" they just... can't) *If* it can be activated (on Tracfone), it SHOULD be a 3x SIM since it was manufactured before the April/May '17 SOP "update" (if I understand the "new" smartphone information correctly)

In that case, I'm thinking I might want to get my hands on one of the old TMFL BYOP SIMs if I can find one. Any idea where I could find one (online/in-store)? I might try Best Buy in-store when I return the non-TMFL smartphone SIM kit.
    I know several people are buying some from the $1/free ship deals

I use campus wifi a lot so the 1 year basic airtime cards or phone bundles seem like the most economical way to get days of service with light min/txt/data usage.
    The thing with phone bundles is you would have to have a NEW SIM everytime you want to move service back to the iPhone after activation of the phone bundle. Which if you buy (most/all) of your airtime that way, it's almost not worth the effort to worry about a 3x SIM card, since you'll be using the phone bundle deal and transferring to a new SIM everytime.
    SIMs cannot be reactivated (unless there is new info I'm unaware of) after they are activated and service then transferred off it.

Feedback Score
    rustler,
    You can try to find the $1 old TracFone TMFL kits at retail Dollar General, Target, or Best Buy.

Don't know what you'll receive if you mail order from TracFone on eBay, so I won't suggest that option.

If you use a smartphone-only SIM/kit everything you currently have will transfer to the SIM, but you'll be limited to the smartphone-only refills - which isn't such a bad thing depending on what you buy and need.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast