Thread: T-Mobile Intros iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X and Series 3 Watch

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I'm really thinking they overpriced the X. There's a $300 difference between the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X. Couple that with T-Mobile's apparent cap of $30/month for EIP and you're talking about $350/500 down if you reflect sales tax ($280 + tax on $999 at an average sales tax rate of 7% = $350). So when people think about $350 down + $30/month, I really think people will think twice about this.

If what TMoNews has posted is accurate, the only promotion available to preorders might be the $300 trade in promo, which might make sense for iPhone 6 and earlier (though I think many will bite at that with the iPhone 6S). And it's not clear if the older iPhones (5/5S/SE) are even still going to be eligible for that, so it's not really much of a subsidized trade in.

What I do think will happen is that the carriers (and the uncarrier too) will have to put on promotions around holiday time for this device. I know supplies will be short for November, but I don't see many buying into the big down payments + $30/month. As a long time Apple stockholder, I hope they do, but "I'm not countin' my money when I'm sittin' at the table" for any new sales records on the iPhone X just yet...

Oh, and if the V30 is $200 less, and has better promotions, I think that could steal some of Apple's market share too...
    Yeah I'm with you here. I'm going to wait for the X so I'll be one of those trading in an older model iPhone to help defray the cost. I'm hoping we can use it towards the down payment.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    outdated radio hardware
    You must be joking. The specification for 600MHz was only released a few months ago. Apple has products in their design pipeline much longer than that.

If you absolutely need the newest buggy untested chipsets, get a ****** android phone. The rest of us will just get a new iPhone whenever we see fit because we understand how a mass market product like that is designed and tested in the real world.

In other words: Have fun with a boot-looping LG steamer if you need Band 71 right this second.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I'm a total gadget whore so it's worth it to me. I buy, trade and sell where I can to make it economically feasible.

For some people it's new kicks, for others it's fast food; for me it's new smart devices.
    I totally get it. Sorry, I wasn't questioning your justification of buying one. I was just saying that for me, it's not worth it. But that doesn't mean I won't be envious when you post pics of it- it looks like a beautiful phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    You must be joking. The specification for 600MHz was only released a few months ago. Apple has products in their design pipeline much longer than that.

If you absolutely need the newest buggy untested chipsets, get a ****** android phone. The rest of us will just get a new iPhone whenever we see fit because we understand how a mass market product like that is designed and tested in the real world.

In other words: Have fun with a boot-looping LG steamer if you need Band 71 right this second.
    It's just a new radio band to be added out of many the phone already has...not rocket science and not anything like a laser face scanner or something that is actually new technology. Apple has already has cell phone radios in their phones since day 1... It's not something "untested" and risky, it is not "buggy and untested". Do you think that adding the 600 mhz band to the many the Apple already has will make the phone explode or bend or otherwise fail? Of course not. No one does.

But I guess Apple was too busy blundering by making the battery on its new Watch even weaker to actually focus on useful stuff like this. Not that adding 600 mhz would have required much focus and effort at all.

And the LG V30 is no more likely to "bootloop" than the iPhone X is to "Antennagate" or bend like a piece of wet lasagna (or a typical iPhone 6s Plus). And unlike with the iPhone, I can easily move files on and off it.... even IOS 11 is still crippled so that when you attach an iPhone to another device, all you can see and access is the photo directory.... as if it were a mere dumb camera. Easy and intuitive file access technology predates the iPhone. There's no "new and untested" excuse for even the newest iPhone missing the boat when it comes to file access. Yeah, I've used the new "file" feature in IOS 11, and it still is inferior to, less intuitive, and much harder to do what any Android has always done.... For one thing, it is only half there because it only works from one side. Android file access works within the device and also from another when you plug it into another via USB. Which makes it piece-of-cake for me to, say, hook it up to a PC or Mac and simply copy a movie to it.

It's just one of the company's many blind sides, and the fact remains that Apple will likely come out with a phone ready for 2017's radio bands in 2018 or maybe even 2019. And rest assured that in the mean-time even many burner-level devices will be easily adding the 600 mhz band to their radio without any fake "untested" excuse.... after all, it's just one new radio band out of many.
    Last edited by NotABiot; 09-13-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    No way I'd pay that kind of money and not be 600 equipped. 600 is set to be up and running this year in one of the spots I'm in a lot so for now if I get anything it will be budget phones, used phones, phones from friends etc. The capability could have been added but wasn't

On the other hand I won't knock those that do buy it. If its the right decision for someone they should get it
    Last edited by themanhimself; 09-13-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

And have fun in denial land lol

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile/Apple customers are now in the same position as the iPhone 6. Which didn't have the important B12 yet.

Of course, with regard to this new band, Samsung's flagship phones don't support it either.

If I was still on T-Mobile, this would be an additional reason to hold off on the phone for yet another year. My current reason is my 7+ is only 1 year old, and I don't replace my iPhones every year.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I'm really thinking they overpriced the X. There's a $300 difference between the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X. Couple that with T-Mobile's apparent cap of $30/month for EIP and you're talking about $350/500 down if you reflect sales tax ($280 + tax on $999 at an average sales tax rate of 7% = $350). So when people think about $350 down + $30/month, I really think people will think twice about this.

If what TMoNews has posted is accurate, the only promotion available to preorders might be the $300 trade in promo, which might make sense for iPhone 6 and earlier (though I think many will bite at that with the iPhone 6S). And it's not clear if the older iPhones (5/5S/SE) are even still going to be eligible for that, so it's not really much of a subsidized trade in.

What I do think will happen is that the carriers (and the uncarrier too) will have to put on promotions around holiday time for this device. I know supplies will be short for November, but I don't see many buying into the big down payments + $30/month. As a long time Apple stockholder, I hope they do, but "I'm not countin' my money when I'm sittin' at the table" for any new sales records on the iPhone X just yet...

Oh, and if the V30 is $200 less, and has better promotions, I think that could steal some of Apple's market share too...
    I can confirm those prices listed are accurate, they are not T-mobile’s prices though - just Apple’s retail prices. Promotions will obviously change the net cost to consumers.

Personally, I don’t think $1K is necessarily overpriced, but I do hope it drops in price in the coming years. Most iOS users that need an upgrade won’t switch brands according to numerous analysts and if the numbers mentioned by Apple are accurate there is a 97% satisfaction rate among iOS users.

As far as down payments go, that is only an issue for those with poor credit history, prepaid users that buy upfront, and obviously if you finance through T-mobile. Most people won’t be faced with a down payment though.

I think you are correct about the iPhone X not setting sales records, that spot should be taken by the 8 if historical trends can be relied upon. Also, the X will be in short supply, so deals aren’t expected to be that generous. The deals will depend on what happens with the V30 and the Note 8 most likely.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Intros iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X and Series 3 Watch

It's just a new radio band to be added out of many the phone already has...not rocket science and not anything like a laser face scanner or something that is actually new technology. Apple has already has cell phone radios in their phones since day 1... It's not something "untested" and risky, it is not "buggy and untested". Do you think that adding the 600 mhz band to the many the Apple already has will make the phone explode or bend or otherwise fail? Of course not. No one does.

But I guess Apple was too busy blundering by making the battery on its new Watch even weaker to actually focus on useful stuff like this. Not that adding 600 mhz would have required much focus and effort at all.

And the LG V30 is no more likely to "bootloop" than the iPhone X is to "Antennagate" or bend like a piece of wet lasagna (or a typical iPhone 6s Plus). And unlike with the iPhone, I can easily move files on and off it.... even IOS 11 is still crippled so that when you attach an iPhone to another device, all you can see and access is the photo directory.... as if it were a mere dumb camera. Easy and intuitive file access technology predates the iPhone. There's no "new and untested" excuse for even the newest iPhone missing the boat when it comes to file access. Yeah, I've used the new "file" feature in IOS 11, and it still is inferior to, less intuitive, and much harder to do what any Android has always done.... For one thing, it is only half there because it only works from one side. Android file access works within the device and also from another when you plug it into another via USB. Which makes it piece-of-cake for me to, say, hook it up to a PC or Mac and simply copy a movie to it.

It's just one of the company's many blind sides, and the fact remains that Apple will likely come out with a phone ready for 2017's radio bands in 2018 or maybe even 2019. And rest assured that in the mean-time even many burner-level devices will be easily adding the 600 mhz band to their radio without any fake "untested" excuse.... after all, it's just one new radio band out of many.
    I don't think you understand how it works. It's not just a matter of "adding a band". Apple doesn't design the modem/baseband chipsets, Intel and Qualcomm do. The hardware specification needs to be locked down months or more in advance when you need to ship tens of millions of units of a product. When the decision to use whatever baseband radio chip they end up using was made, 600MHz band classes hadn't even been ratified yet.

When you have a product that is in as much demand as an iPhone, it's not a matter of just throwing a new chip in at the last second. Sure, it will probably work and have no problems, but what if it doesn't? What if a new chip can't be sourced in the quantities running in the tens of millions that you'll need? You either end up with a fragmented product line with different capabilities or severe shortages that you can't recover from. Apple does not take those kind of risks with their business, that's why they're headed to be a trillion dollar company.

It's easy for Android manufacturers to change to the latest and greatest technology at the last second, because outside of Samsung, they won't need to be churning them out by the millions each month for the next year. There's just not the same level of demand for a single android handset versus the iPhone.

As for your other criticisms of iOS, sure, we could debate the file handling system and physical build quality, but that's moving the goalposts. We're addressing the radio technology and there's a valid reason why the iPhone is usually a year behind in band class capability. It's not ideal, but it's a fact when your product is as popular and in demand as iPhone is.

As for my criticisms of LG, I've owned enough of their Android units to know that they usually have a fatal flaw. It's been the rule, not the exception in my experience. But again, that's the price you pay to be an early adopter and on the bleeding edge of technology. People who need or want that are free to by a V30. Everyone else who needs something that works, is stable, not fragmented, and does what they need it to when they need it to every time will buy a new iPhone this year.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Apple is yesterdays technology at the price of technology will be in two years with Android. I really don't know why people buy Apple other than the status symbol they think it gives them. Apple doesn't have good reception. Apple technology is always behind Android that are cheaper with better reception. Really paying $1000 for a phone that doesn't support the new Band 71 or the LTE-U/LAA 5 GHz small cells.

BTW, Siri is 5 years behind Google Now for Voice Recognition on searches with my 2017 Ipad that I got as a gift. I get a laugh out of how bad Siri is compared to my Google Now doing voice searches.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 09-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Intros iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X and Series 3 Watch

Again, Apple users aren't tech geeks like most of us on a cell phone forum are. They aren't the early adopters, they aren't pushing their hardware to the bleeding edge.

They are people who want a reasonably secure device that works. They're willing to pay more not for the technology that's inside the device, but essentially the user experience it provides. The average iPhone user isn't concerned with the underlying hardware specs, or how hard it is to transfer their pirated movies to the device.

Android has two markets: High end techies who get in johnson-swinging contests about processor speed, chipsets, speed tests, etc. and care about low-level file management and hacking and how many dBm of reception my phone has vs. yours (ex: most of us on this forum). The second market: poor people who muddle through wishing they had an iPhone but they can't afford one.

The iPhone's market is essentially everyone else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Apple is yesterdays technology at the price of technology will be in two years with Android. I really don't know why people buy Apple other than the status symbol they think it gives them. Apple doesn't have good reception. Apple technology is always behind Android that are cheaper with better reception. Really paying $1000 for a phone that doesn't support the new Band 71 or the LTE-U/LAA 5 GHz small cells.

BTW, Siri is 5 years behind Google Now for Voice Recognition on my 2017 Ipad that I got as a gift. I get a laugh out of how bad Siri is compared to my Google Now.
    Apple products work exceptionally well and integrate seamlessly, not to mention all of the optimization that takes place during development. Then there are the apps which run better on iOS and get released first, but that is generally due to having less fragmentation and a more profitable user base. If Android had one OS, as well as a majority of users using one version of the OS, and had users that were at least as profitable as iOS then I doubt there were be much difference between app experience on the different platforms.

Plus, it runs on iOS instead of Android, so for many users and use cases the IPhones are the preferred device of choice. It is very cliché, but i devices do just work with a high level of privacy and security built in and there is a premium for that functionality.

I do not think Apple devices are for the budget constrained buyers, but if you can afford them it is difficult to choose another brand. Ultimately, imo, it comes down to which OS a person prefers. If a person prefers iOS then IPhones are the only game in town with usually only 2-3 models, but if Android is the preferred OS then there are hundreds of devices to choose from.

Feedback Score
    I don't think you understand how it works. It's not just a matter of "adding a band". Apple doesn't design the modem/baseband chipsets, Intel and Qualcomm do. The hardware specification needs to be locked down months or more in advance when you need to ship tens of millions of units of a product. When the decision to use whatever baseband radio chip they end up using was made, 600MHz band classes hadn't even been ratified yet.

When you have a product that is in as much demand as an iPhone, it's not a matter of just throwing a new chip in at the last second. Sure, it will probably work and have no problems, but what if it doesn't? What if a new chip can't be sourced in the quantities running in the tens of millions that you'll need? You either end up with a fragmented product line with different capabilities or severe shortages that you can't recover from. Apple does not take those kind of risks with their business, that's why they're headed to be a trillion dollar company.

It's easy for Android manufacturers to change to the latest and greatest technology at the last second, because outside of Samsung, they won't need to be churning them out by the millions each month for the next year. There's just not the same level of demand for a single android handset versus the iPhone.

As for your other criticisms of iOS, sure, we could debate the file handling system and physical build quality, but that's moving the goalposts. We're addressing the radio technology and there's a valid reason why the iPhone is usually a year behind in band class capability. It's not ideal, but it's a fact when your product is as popular and in demand as iPhone is.

As for my criticisms of LG, I've owned enough of their Android units to know that they usually have a fatal flaw. It's been the rule, not the exception in my experience. But again, that's the price you pay to be an early adopter and on the bleeding edge of technology. People who need or want that are free to by a V30. Everyone else who needs something that works, is stable, not fragmented, and does what they need it to when they need it to every time will buy a new iPhone this year.
    My criticism also applies to Samsung for releasing a new note phone that is out of date....

Of course Samsung has a bad history. The previous two Note releases were packed with gunpowder. Maybe it's like the current Samsung Note is like a camel and one more straw on its back will make it explode again.

But I have no doubt that both companies will sell massive quantities of their phones that are out of date. But they will look mighty long in the tooth in the next year or so when the rollout of the new band is going great.

I would have actually considered one of these new iPhone release as if it had up-to-date radios. Despite such features as the crippled and very hard to use file system.

I want a great camera. IPhones always have a great camera. And I don't want to put up with a company like Samsung that actually harassed and threatened the customers that were victims of the exploding phones last year.

Feedback Score
    The second market: poor people who muddle through wishing they had an iPhone but they can't afford one.

The iPhone's market is essentially everyone else.
    You can't read people's minds. But you can make a good guess about what they wish fof by what they choose. And they choose Android for the cheap phones and also choose Android (alongside iPhones) for more expensive phones. That's a much more accurate picture about what they want.

And the "pirated movie" accusation is illogical and unfounded. IOS users shove pirated content to their phones also. But like with legitimate content on Android, it's a lot harder in IOS.

Feedback Score
    But I have no doubt that both companies will sell massive quantities of their phones that are out of date. But they will look mighty long in the tooth in the next year or so when the rollout of the new band is going great.
    I think you overestimate the demand that T-Mobile customers will have for band 600.

T-Mobile will be stuck on a network that only works in half or two-thirds of the places as AT&T and Verizon does....
    Most T-Mobile customers are content with their current coverage and don't need their phone to work all the places that AT&T or Verizon does. If they did, then they would have already switched to AT&T or Verizon.

while anyone who has bought up-to-date phones such as the LG V30 and future models will be enjoying a T-Mobile network that works just about everywhere.
    So they claim. Seeing is believing. It will take years for T-Mobile to rollout its 600 spectrum. Who knows how fast they'll do it or when they'll complete it.

The point is, a lot of T-Moble customers will never set foot in some of these remote areas that B71 will eventually cover. So whether a phone they buy today will have B71 will be irrelevant to them. They'll keep using the same T-Mobile service that they've been using.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast