Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving to Telus from Fido

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Thinking of moving to Telus from Fido

I'm located in northern Alberta. Are there any advantages to joining Telus over Fido? I'm looking at the Can/Us calling + 12gb + VV for iPhone on a byod plan for $130. Fido offered me virtually the same plan minus the US calling/roam feature for $110.

Originally went to Rogers/Fido because of the SIM cards and unlocked phones haha, but I was with Telus in the Startac days.

Any insight would be great. TIA.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Telus is significantly more expensive than Fido from my experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I am with Telus, my mom is with Fido and we both are very happy with our plan, coverage, service/support and LTE-A speed.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy0677 View Post
    I'm located in northern Alberta. Are there any advantages to joining Telus over Fido? I'm looking at the Can/Us calling + 12gb + VV for iPhone on a byod plan for $130. Fido offered me virtually the same plan minus the US calling/roam feature for $110.

Originally went to Rogers/Fido because of the SIM cards and unlocked phones haha, but I was with Telus in the Startac days.

Any insight would be great. TIA.
    If you're happy with the service, don't switch. How is your experience with them, here in southern Alberta the coverage is horrible but I stay because of a grandfathered plan I got a while back, but compared to my Bell line (same network as Telus) performance is night and day difference

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app
    Damn!

Feedback Score
    Hey tommy0677, I'm Thomas from Fido

We'd be sad to see you leave! If the plan you mentioned is a Pulse plan, it includes Fido Roam! And with the Value Pack, calls to the US are only one cent per minute. Not too shabby, eh?

If you want to review your option, we're here to help!

You can find how to reach out to us here > http://www.fido.ca/consumer/contact-us

We're also on Facebook / Twitter!

We hope to talk to you soon,

-Thomas

Feedback Score
    hello I'm on fido and wanted to go to Telus. I tested both fido and Telus on ext today. Both on LTE. Telus seems worse in my building.Name:  IMG_0817.PNG
Views: 339
Size:  43.1 KB and Name:  IMG_0816.PNG
Views: 344
Size:  44.0 KB Im from Bc and work in a downtown building. I talked to my co workers and bell/Telus only works near windows.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceclutch View Post
    hello I'm on fido and wanted to go to Telus. I tested both fido and Telus on ext today. Both on LTE. Telus seems worse in my building.Name:  IMG_0817.PNG
Views: 339
Size:  43.1 KB and Name:  IMG_0816.PNG
Views: 344
Size:  44.0 KB Im from Bc and work in a downtown building. I talked to my co workers and bell/Telus only works near windows.
    My experiences, and everything I've heard have pointed to the Bellus network being significantly better than Robbers network in Western Canada. Perhaps there is a Rogers site near your building, try testing in different locations you frequent as well. Regardless, if Rogers (Fido) performs better for you, stay with them. Unless CS pissed you off/you don't want to be with them due to principle, I'd stay with them, prices are usually lower over there vs Bellus due to their slightly smaller network. What is your reason for wanting to switch to Telus?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I actually had a Telus rep show up to my door. He needed to permission to install fibre. I'm with shaw for internet and Fido for mobile. He told me Telus is better than both and said he will give me a better deal for internet and mobile. He also claimed going to telus will be way way better than Fido. He said he will come back and discuss the deal when fibre gets installed. I highly doubt he will give me a good deal. Fido has been really nice to me, longtime customer. I also get coverage with Telus thanks to ext. Also in Vancouver Rogers has a deal with translink. So to have Coverage on sky trains you have to be with Rogers/fido. But if I get a good deal from Telus I'll switch. My friend on Telus told me Telus has more towers but mostly they have 1900,2100mhz. Rogers has less but 700mhz,2600mhz towers. He was with Rogers and said he noticed no difference with Telus. If I do get a good deal from Telus I will first call Fido loyalty/retenation

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    I actually had a Telus rep show up to my door. He needed to permission to install fibre. I'm with shaw for internet and Fido for mobile. He told me Telus is better than both and said he will give me a better deal for internet and mobile. He also claimed going to telus will be way way better than Fido. He said he will come back and discuss the deal when fibre gets installed. I highly doubt he will give me a good deal. Fido has been really nice to me, longtime customer. I also get coverage with Telus thanks to ext. Also in Vancouver Rogers has a deal with translink. So to have Coverage on sky trains you have to be with Rogers/fido. But if I get a good deal from Telus I'll switch. My friend on Telus told me Telus has more towers but mostly they have 1900,2100mhz. Rogers has less but 700mhz,2600mhz towers. He was with Rogers and said he noticed no difference with Telus. If I do get a good deal from Telus I will first call Fido loyalty/retenation
    Outside of big cities, Rogers is honestly worthless in Alberta. Maybe it's not so bad in BC, I don't know. Regardless, if you're happy with Fido, I'd say stay. With the exception of out of market plans, Bellus is pricier than Rogers brands so I can't imagine they would offer anything good. Share plan data buckets prices were increased as of yesterday as well, so not much value IMO. I also don't care much for Telus for home internet. They have been known to block ports, which is behaviour I despise.

Feedback Score
    The rates are identical in Bc for Rogers,bell,Telus. And the same for Fido,Virgin,Koodoo. I went to Alberta and I had fido coverage even in rural areas. Not always LTE but 3g. The only time I connected to ext was on the drive their. You can always manually switch to ext. Here in bc there are a few cities which have Rogers only coverage. And the skytrain stations are rogers only too. I get cheaper rates on Fido since I'm loyal too them but the market rates are all the same. If Telus gives a good deal and Fido can't beat I'm going to switch. I can always use Telus-ext at work if it's really bad. Though 1 bar LTE or 2 bar 3g should be fine. I'm looking at the coverage map for Telus and Fido are it looks same to me. Where Telus has coverage and fido does not I see ext. Hopefully I can get a good deal out of Telus or Fido.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom
    Feedback Score
    The rates are identical in Bc for Rogers,bell,Telus. And the same for Fido,Virgin,Koodoo. I went to Alberta and I had fido coverage even in rural areas. Not always LTE but 3g. The only time I connected to ext was on the drive their. You can always manually switch to ext. Here in bc there are a few cities which have Rogers only coverage. And the skytrain stations are rogers only too. I get cheaper rates on Fido since I'm loyal too them but the market rates are all the same. If Telus gives a good deal and Fido can't beat I'm going to switch. I can always use Telus-ext at work if it's really bad. Though 1 bar LTE or 2 bar 3g should be fine. I'm looking at the coverage map for Telus and Fido are it looks same to me. Where Telus has coverage and fido does not I see ext. Hopefully I can get a good deal out of Telus or Fido.
    To my knowledge, extended coverage with Telus only works in areas they have whitelisted it. I could be wrong about that though, don't take my word for it. Maybe it's only in Alberta, but usually Rogers and Fido undercut Bellus by some amount. Not by a huge margin, maybe $5 a month. As a resident of AB, I can assure you Rogers coverage lacks outside of major cities. Highways are usually OK, but in the majority of rural Alberta, they either lack coverage, or the coverage is there, but the network is standstill. Not that any of this is very important anyway, use whatever provider works best for you.

Sent from my Z957 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qag01 View Post
    My experiences, and everything I've heard have pointed to the Bellus network being significantly better than Robbers network in Western Canada. Perhaps there is a Rogers site near your building, try testing in different locations you frequent as well. Regardless, if Rogers (Fido) performs better for you, stay with them. Unless CS pissed you off/you don't want to be with them due to principle, I'd stay with them, prices are usually lower over there vs Bellus due to their slightly smaller network. What is your reason for wanting to switch to Telus?

Fido is cheaper than TELUS because they are on Koodo and Virgin Mobile's level. You need to compare Rogers with TELUS, and they are mostly identical except TELUS is the first to increase rates for new customers and has more ridiculous overage rates.

Except it is easy to get a "loyalty" deal from Fido and Rogers sometimes even a few days after signing up, so they end up being cheaper. Loyalty does not exist at Bell and TELUS.

Feedback Score
    My friend says the same thing. He is with Telus and never gets good loyalty deals. Fido has been really nice to my family.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    I had Telus for about 5 years before moving to Fido. **Do not do it**. Telus is terrible - they are costly their plans suck and if you ever go over Fido is willing to accomodate you but telus is super rigid. Loyalty means nothing to them. Telus is incompetent compared to Shaw and Fido seems to be more friendly (ha!) than Telus.

Feedback Score
    The only reasons to be with TELUS are the MB/SK/QC plan loopholes or if you get a good deal because of your employer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast