Thread: Verizon Galaxy S8

Feedback Score

Verizon Galaxy S8

Can the Galaxy S8 from Verizon be used on Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrfaw View Post
    Can the Galaxy S8 from Verizon be used on Sprint?
    It is not listed on the BYOD list so no. That was also the conclusion in other threads.
    It also appears to lack voice band BC10, although it does seem to have the LTE bands, and the other voice band.

Now, you can flash it to the Sprint firmware to get all the right bands and LTE Calling, Voicemail etc. But it will still not be in the Sprint database so your only hope would be if you have strong social engineering skills and get a store manager (or conceivably, with social engineering, from support ) to whitelist it for you manually. These people's first answer will be no, though.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-13-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    It is not listed on the BYOD list so no. That was also the conclusion in other threads.
    It also appears to lack voice band BC10, although it does seem to have the LTE bands, and the other voice band.

Now, you can flash it to the Sprint firmware to get all the right bands and LTE Calling, Voicemail etc. But it will still not be in the Sprint database so your only hope would be if you have strong social engineering skills and get a store manager (or conceivably, with social engineering, from support ) to whitelist it for you manually. These people's first answer will be no, though.
    And this is why the government should step in and ban carrier specific phones. Any phone should be allowed on any carrier if it has the right bands and being able to exclude a frequency by flashing different firmware is nonsense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    And this is why the government should step in and ban carrier specific phones. Any phone should be allowed on any carrier if it has the right bands and being able to exclude a frequency by flashing different firmware is nonsense.
    Agreed 100%.

It is quite easy to flash it if you do want to though. Instructions are on S4GRU.

It would still work well enough though without flashing, as it has the major bands needed. You would just be missing Visual Voicemail and LTE Calling.

BUT in either case the remaining challenge is to get a Sprint store manager to whitelist its IMEI to the database. I say one, maybe two people who accomplished this. Most were unsuccessful.

I will say they may have a slight justification in that if you look at the AT&T model, for example, it has all sorts of obscure ATT bands that are not even in use yet. That seems to have crowded out some Sprint ones. So there may be capacity issues. Or maybe AT&T just told Samsung to leave some Sprint bands out of its firmware version or else - I do not know. But they could all be fitted in if it were required by law, I am sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    YET buying the UNLOCKED version would work on ALL carriers in the US as I have the unlocked S8+

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
    YET buying the UNLOCKED version would work on ALL carriers in the US as I have the unlocked S8+
    Yes it will work well but on Sprint you will lack Visual Voicemail (which is only licensed by Sprint from Smith Micro for the Sprint branded phones) and LTE Calling (which is beta on the Sprint branded phones) on that model.

You might be able to install .apk's of Visual Voicemail - I do not know. You can still access voicemail the old way though or I suppose use YouMail etc.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to chime in that I tried this and failed. I flashed the unlocked and Sprint firmware, I brought it to the store, the store manager did whitelist the IMEI for me and it would still not work. I think the fact that they still kept seeing it as a Verizon device based on the IMEI had something to do with it. I spent several days trying to get this working and finally broke down and just sold the Verizon S8 and bought the unlocked one from Samsung. That one works just fine on Sprint. There are some good deals out there now too.

-Collin-