Thread: Grandfathered original iPad unlimited plan question

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Grandfathered original iPad unlimited plan question

So I have the original $29.99 iPad unlimited data plan that came out when the iPad was first launched which I rarely. I was wondering if I could buy an AT&T hotspot device and put the iPad sim in it to get unlimited hotspot data since hotspot on the iPad doesn't work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chris4434 View Post
    So I have the original $29.99 iPad unlimited data plan that came out when the iPad was first launched which I rarely. I was wondering if I could buy an AT&T hotspot device and put the iPad sim in it to get unlimited hotspot data since hotspot on the iPad doesn't work.
    Yes you can, but you will have to change the app setting to" Broadband" on some devices. Other devices may be more simple but I haven't tried.

Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Ipads, Tablets, Hotspots and usb modems all use the broadband apn.

Feedback Score
    Doing so is at own risk as they could potentially terminate you or even charge you with theft of service. The iPad plan which I am on now since they started to offer it again has hotspot disabled via iOS and is good for only one device.

Uncapping cable modems has nabbed multiple people by the FBI. While wireless towers are uncapped at full speeds till the 22GB limit is hit on AT&T for instance, pushing through multiple devices on the plan is questionable since you are adding more data usage which was against terms of service agreements that you had to agree to in order to sign up for the plan.

I do not know legal precedent as if anyone was actually charged who used a hotspot with a Tablet plan but I sure would not want to be the one to find out.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Doing so is at own risk as they could potentially terminate you or even charge you with theft of service. The iPad plan which I am on now since they started to offer it again has hotspot disabled via iOS and is good for only one device.

Uncapping cable modems has nabbed multiple people by the FBI. While wireless towers are uncapped at full speeds till the 22GB limit is hit on AT&T for instance, pushing through multiple devices on the plan is questionable since you are adding more data usage which was against terms of service agreements that you had to agree to in order to sign up for the plan.

I do not know legal precedent as if anyone was actually charged who used a hotspot with a Tablet plan but I sure would not want to be the one to find out.
    Yeah I'm not worried about all of that. Just wanted to make sure it would work. Thanks

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Doing so is at own risk as they could potentially terminate you or even charge you with theft of service.
    Um, no. The TOS clearly states that if AT&T doesn't approve of your device, they will - at their discretion - disconnect the line. There is no risk of criminal charges, particularly because AT&T has told you what risk you take with using an unauthorized device.

AT&T knows you're using a hotspot from the moment that IMEI provisions on the network. They don't care. Ask anyone on Sprint or Verizon, where they do care. A lot. To the point your entire plan reprovisions the moment that IMEI/MEID registers*.

While I won't engage here, there was a lengthy discussion in the Mobley thread. At times AT&T has touted that all DataConnect plans are cross-compatible after activation. And it has been confirmed through unofficial channels that AT&T has an anti-churn rule internally that precludes that. Add in that Unlimited Choice/Plus AT&T now considers all device types (aside from wearables) as equal actors - and yeah... they don't care. They know you'll just run the data through a tablet the same if they turned that thumbscrew (or, sign up with a few friends for Unlimited Plus - and pay $22/month instead of $29/month).

* Technically on an old Verizon gUDP the plan does not change. This was because of a former Verizon media rep who made an on-record comment, ironically, to yours truly back in 2011. That boxed Verizon in with regulators on the C-Block rules, which prohibit device type changes.

Six years later, at least my salary is starting to track my experience in the business.... starting.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    People in the past were willing to spend $2000 because ATT didn't do any policing of this plan. Values plummeted when ATT changed policies earlier this year (de-prioritizing after 22GB, like other unlimited plans). And allowed $30 unlimited plans to be signed up for again.

So it will likely work. But depending on market, it MAY slow down after 22GB.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying myself the new generation iPhone about every 2 years.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    People in the past were willing to spend $2000 because ATT didn't do any policing of this plan. Values plummeted when ATT changed policies earlier this year (de-prioritizing after 22GB, like other unlimited plans). And allowed $30 unlimited plans to be signed up for again.

So it will likely work. But depending on market, it MAY slow down after 22GB.
    Yeah, I think they're testing it. If you want it, lock it in now. I suspect if the data usage stays high, they'll relegate that plan to Unlimited Plus, where they're guaranteed to at least have several lines shared.

Feedback Score
    is there any value to keeping the original plan? i have one but don't really use it much. The new unlimited $30 plan is the same, right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UDP Throwaway View Post
    is there any value to keeping the original plan? i have one but don't really use it much. The new unlimited $30 plan is the same, right?
    As far as I was told yes

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought I saw a report that the unlimited will be changing to $35.

The main issue to me with the old one was there was no other unlimited option, and if you dropped it you couldn't get it back. In case there was a month you needed 4, 6, 15GB.

Once there were other options, I sold it and have been on T-Mobile. $10 for 5GB (over up to 5 months), some type of promo but I was able to renew at least once.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I used it many times in my hotspot without problem!