Thread: Is Sprint using the same codec/bitrate on VoLTE as WiFi Calling?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score

Is Sprint using the same codec/bitrate on VoLTE as WiFi Calling?

I have activated my Pixel XL on the "one year free" promo with a line i was going to cancel from VZW anyway..

I've noticed that Sprint's WiFi calling has by far the best SQ out of any carrier i've ever used it on (Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint)

My phone has not been enabled for VoLTE yet, and i'm curious as if that's the same codec/bitrate that they're using with VoLTE.. because if so that would be a huge leg up for them.

My data speeds so far have been fantastic but the 3G voice leaves a lot to be desired after VoLTE

It reminds me when T-Mobile first rolled out "HD Voice" and would use 24kbps codec with everything. it was fantastic, and now they've halved it to 12kbps and it sounds average at best (but still better than VZW or CDMA voice)
    Left: T-Mobile Unlimited LTE, Right: TWC/Spectrum "ultra" (I want Wide Open West back!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I have activated my Pixel XL on the "one year free" promo with a line i was going to cancel from VZW anyway..

I've noticed that Sprint's WiFi calling has by far the best SQ out of any carrier i've ever used it on (Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint)

My phone has not been enabled for VoLTE yet, and i'm curious as if that's the same codec/bitrate that they're using with VoLTE.. because if so that would be a huge leg up for them.

My data speeds so far have been fantastic but the 3G voice leaves a lot to be desired after VoLTE

It reminds me when T-Mobile first rolled out "HD Voice" and would use 24kbps codec with everything. it was fantastic, and now they've halved it to 12kbps and it sounds average at best (but still better than VZW or CDMA voice)
    Sprint has WiFi calling on the Pixel? I was under the impression that it never launched.

Sprint does not have VoLTE. They use 1X-Advanced for HD Voice, but that only works if both callers have compatible devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Sprint has WiFi calling on the Pixel? I was under the impression that it never launched.

Sprint does not have VoLTE. They use 1X-Advanced for HD Voice, but that only works if both callers have compatible devices.
    Sprint has some devices that can talk and surf now. Pixel isn't one. Yet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint's website says they don't support HD voice over LTE or Wi-Fi calling. They don't have VoLTE. They have "Calling Plus" which is just VoIP over LTE.

VoLTE requires an entirely new backend IP-based system, which Sprint doesn't have.

Feedback Score

Is Sprint using the same codec/bitrate on VoLTE as WiFi Calling?

Quote Originally Posted by ic2dg5 View Post
    Sprint's website says they don't support HD voice over LTE or Wi-Fi calling. They don't have VoLTE. They have "Calling Plus" which is just VoIP over LTE.

VoLTE requires an entirely new backend IP-based system, which Sprint doesn't have.
    Sprint was one of the first carriers to move from circuit switched networks to digital switching. I suppose that is not same as being IP based?

10 years ago their switching technology was ahead of everyone else. I would have hoped they were already IP based.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ic2dg5 View Post

That will happen real VOLTE will happen at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post

I meant to clarify, i was using my old S6. I activated it today so i could use the Pixel with my T-Mobile SIM (going overseas, and 64kbps vs 256kbps make a difference)

So, Sprint is not not doing actual VoLTE? why will they not just update to an IMS core?

Feedback Score
    Sprint has announced they will implement full VoLTE.

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...-softbank-tech
    and that articles contains a brief mention of codecs.

Some of its latest phones are already certified for VoLTE.

For now, these phones, including S8, support "LTE Calling (beta)" alongside Wifi Calling.

As pointed out by others here, this cannot be considered VoLTE but I expect it will morph into it over time and in certain locations etc

Already it is supporting features like in-call handoffs between LTE Calling and Wifi Calling.

There is some good discussion (including on codecs) on S4GRU in the S8 thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/forums/t...mduos/&page=33

They need coverage densification to reach certain levels before they can implement full VoLTE. Magic Box is part of that plan. They have said they will not implement full LTE until they can match/better the current level of performance of CDMA voice calls.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-13-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    As to the current voice quality on Sprint's beta "LTE Calling" (available on only a few phone models), I find it extremely high and quite beautiful, and so do posters in the S8 thread on S4GRU who have it. I love it and it a vast improvement, when working well, over CDMA voice. No artifacts at all either.

The (justified) criticism that people are making is that Sprint has not yet announced availability of network prioritization of LTE Calling calls across the network, which is needed before they can call it VoLTE. That does not mean that they are not testing it in certain areas or whatever. But so far I am not seeing that affect call quality here in actual use of beta LTE Calling now that I have a reliable LTE connection. Maybe problems will show up later. I will post if so. Where you have a weak connection, it can have problems.

They are moving toward full VoLTE (with the word beta removed from the LTE Calling setting on the phone!).
    Last edited by comintel; 09-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    As to the current voice quality on Sprint's beta "LTE Calling" (available on only a few phone models), I find it extremely high and quite beautiful, and so do posters in the S8 thread on S5GRU who have it. I love it and it a vast improvement, when working well, over CDMA voice. No artifacts at all either.

The (justified) criticism that people are making is that Sprint has not yet announced availability of network prioritization of LTE Calling calls across the network, which is needed before they can call it VoLTE. That does not mean that they are not testing it in certain areas or whatever. But so far I am not seeing that affect call quality here in actual use of beta LTE Calling now that I have a reliable LTE connection. Maybe problems will show up later. I will post if so. Where you have a weak connection, it can have problems.

They are moving toward full VoLTE (with the word beta removed from the LTE Calling setting on the phone!).
    Interesting s5gru.com redirects to s4gru.com.