Thread: Does anyone know how to update Verizon prepaid moto e4 after its unlocked

Device(s)
    Moto E4, ZTE TREK 2 HD, ZTE Zmax Pro, ZTE Cymbal Z-320, HTC ONE M7, MOTO DROID RAZR M, LG Harmony
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score

Does anyone know how to update Verizon prepaid moto e4 after its unlocked

i unlocked my verizon prepaid moto e4 and im using it on cricket but how do i update it to the most recent software update. im on the may security patch and i know theres a new one but it keeps saying my software is up to date. does anyone know? thanks

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf042 View Post
    i unlocked my verizon prepaid moto e4 and im using it on cricket but how do i update it to the most recent software update. im on the may security patch and i know theres a new one but it keeps saying my software is up to date. does anyone know? thanks
    The latest update is Build Number NDQ26.69-23-2. If you have that then there are no new updates and it's correct when it says your software is up to date.

How do you know there's a new one?

If you want to continue to use it on Cricket, it's recommended to not take any future updates and to turn off Automatic system updates in Developer options, since a new firmware, theoretically, could disable the bands necessary for other carriers.

Device(s)
    Moto E4, ZTE TREK 2 HD, ZTE Zmax Pro, ZTE Cymbal Z-320, HTC ONE M7, MOTO DROID RAZR M, LG Harmony
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    you make a very good point about a new update disabling the bands. and how i know is a friend has one and he is on the july security patch with build number NDQ26.69-23-2 same one you posted but im on build number NDQ26.69-23-2 as well with the may security patch. strange idk but i like your point about the bands

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    The latest update is Build Number NDQ26.69-23-2. If you have that then there are no new updates and it's correct when it says your software is up to date.

How do you know there's a new one?

If you want to continue to use it on Cricket, it's recommended to not take any future updates and to turn off Automatic system updates in Developer options, since a new firmware, theoretically, could disable the bands necessary for other carriers.
    Unfortunately, By doing this you put yourself at risk of security issues. Deliberately not patching can lead to bad consequences. This mentality has lead to massive data breaches in companies.

There has been some nasty security vlurnabalities in Android over the years. Right now a serious Bluetooth issue BlueBone is getting attention. Historically issues such as broadpwn and the stagefright attacks are good evidence why you should stay patched.

I'd say it's unlikely that they'll disable bands at this point.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk