Feedback Score

Qestion About Apple Watch 3

I'm getting interested in the new Apple Watch 3 with GPS and Cellular. It seems to have added features that finally make it a consideration.

Has anyone seen any information regarding which carrier version is the best to purchase? Ae they carrier locked, like the financed phones? I'm left wondering if the Verizon model is the best choice or is even "Unlocked" like the phones for use on any of the other major carriers? I would pay cash, but on the Apple website, there is no Sim Free edition.

If you haven't noticed yet, the new i8 & i8 Plus phones are set up for preordering the Sim Free models on day one. This is in contrast to previous years when that model was only released after a month or two or carrier model sales.

Feedback Score
    I did a little research and found that it has an eSim built in, and one website stated that it was contained in a Qualcomm modem. As I recall, it was an Australian tech site, and they seemed pretty credible, but without any teardowns, it is really too soon to know for sure.

If that's the case, it should function like the current Apple Sim and allow the user to select service providers from the Settings Menu. That would be amazing unless the carriers have the ability to lock the device down due to financing. Still, a paid in full unit should be unlocked based on Apple's history with other devices.

To be continued...

Feedback Score
    Stoppd at the Apple Store today, and the rep said the Watch 3 was not carrier locked, and the embedded sim is carrier switchable. So, I doubt I'll wait up to order one, but I will buy the 42mm LTE when I can. The choice & pricing of bands on Amazon is amazing, by the way.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I’m a little late but as you concluded it’s UMTS and LTE. This means it works on T-Mobile and AT&T’s “3G” UMTS (HSPA) as well as all carriers LTE. I don’t know about band support but it should work with any of them except T-Mobile’s upcoming 600Mhz.
    It looks like no CDMA support, but that’s fine since Verizon is fully LTE at this point (except rare rural areas of roaming.)
    So it works with any carrier.
    Notice they are all the same model number for US carriers.
    https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Feedback Score
    I woke up a few minutes ago so I decided to check the Apple website for ordering. Seems like plenty of inventory for this release, even the new iPhones 8 & 8+ are available for release date so far.

I put in my order for store pickup on the 22nd for the 42mm blk/blk LTE model. On the T-Mobile website they still include a $25 sim fee for a cash purchase. A little disingenuous for a product with an Esim built in.

Edited to add: It's 7AM PST and the shipping time for the same watch is now quoting 3-4 weeks out. It is kind of surprising the watch is getting such high interest. This might be the year of the Apple Smart Watch 3. I hope the 8 X orders go as smoothly.
    Last edited by daleraver; 09-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Qestion About Apple Watch 3

Store pickup? Last time I did a store pickup on launch day I waited 4 hours. Not worth it. Have it shipped.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Store pickup? Last time I did a store pickup on launch day I waited 4 hours. Not worth it. Have it shipped.
    The system has been revamped and I think for the past few years it's been by appointment. I scheduled a 10-10:30 slot for my pickup in the local mall. Last year I bought 2 i7+'s this way and only needed to wait 10-15 minutes each time at 2 different stores. With shipping you are at the mercy of whatever time the UPS guy decides to do your area. It could be 8AM, or 5PM. I'd rather have my day planned a little better than that, especially on a Friday.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I'm getting interested in the new Apple Watch 3 with GPS and Cellular. It seems to have added features that finally make it a consideration.

Has anyone seen any information regarding which carrier version is the best to purchase? Ae they carrier locked, like the financed phones? I'm left wondering if the Verizon model is the best choice or is even "Unlocked" like the phones for use on any of the other major carriers? I would pay cash, but on the Apple website, there is no Sim Free edition.

If you haven't noticed yet, the new i8 & i8 Plus phones are set up for preordering the Sim Free models on day one. This is in contrast to previous years when that model was only released after a month or two or carrier model sales.
    This from Apple’s website:

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. Check www.apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    I contacted T-Force this morning for some additional information I'd like to share.

If you were already getting auto pay discount on eight or more lines, your watch line will cost $15 instead of just $10.

I asked why there was listed a $25 sim fee, when there is a sim built into the watch. The rep (Erroneously) claimed there was no sim in the watch already.

I have 12 voice lines currently, so I wanted to know if adding a watch would be a problem due to the 12 line limit. Apparently since it's attached to an existing voice line that's not an issue and can be added.

Also, apparently the data your watch you uses is not counted against a tethering limit if you have ONE Plus Promo for instance.

I may sign up for the 3 months free service on my primary line with my Apple Store watch. Hopefully there will be some promos before that expires, because I don't think it's worth $15 a month for the watch service.