Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does UMTS travel further/propagate deeper/covers land area more easily than CDMA/LTE?

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Aren't you in mn if I remember correctly? I'll be there for a few days before long curious how att and T-Mobile are there in general? I'll have T-Mobile and a gophone line with me.
    That depends on where you are in the state. In the Northern half, AT&T is best by a long shot. Southern half? Verizon is easily best. T-Mobile is pretty good in most of the state... it really all depends on where you are. The twin cities is Verizon/T-Mobile dominated not only by marketshare but also by how good their networks perform.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Not far from saint Paul so it's prob decent for most carriers there (assuming). With att and T-Mobile I should be pretty reachable. The wife will want to get in touch with me frequently since her mom is sick. It's been a roller coaster for her

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know about 5 miles from this one tower that is both AT&T and USCC i noticed that AT&T LTE/HSPA+ still worked while USCC 2G/3G struggled to get a signal and no LTE. in my opinion. UMTS travels further especially in mountainous areas.

Sent from my SM-J327P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    I know about 5 miles from this one tower that is both AT&T and USCC i noticed that AT&T LTE/HSPA+ still worked while USCC 2G/3G struggled to get a signal and no LTE. in my opinion. UMTS travels further especially in mountainous areas.

Sent from my SM-J327P using HoFo mobile app
    100% agreed, UMTS is amazing in mountainous areas.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    When you live in a rural area that has very little users on the network, I can see why AT&T didn't bother putting up LTE until quite recently, there is enough bandwidth around for everyone, once it becomes very slow, then they come in and add LTE. LTE can and will probably become just as slow as HSPA+ is (which isn't very slow) because of congestion, it'll just take more users per site. Interestingly, as you said B17 LTE isn't much better than B2 HSPA is quite accurate, B17 LTE in this hilly area is in and out, just like B2 4G, but B5 4G hangs on a bit longer and deeper into hills, in my experience.
    No, I meant that B2 LTE seems to be almost as good as B17/5 LTE, which is weird, considering that B2 should be much weaker in theory. In my experience, HSPA+ has been mostly useless over the past couple of years unless you have a good signal, so if you go off the edge of a site's LTE onto HSPA+ with one bar, it's useless. HSPA+ can work well with a good signal, but clogs easily due to the bandwidth demands of modern phones. HSPA+ was last AT&T's primary network with the iPhone 4s.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    No, I meant that B2 LTE seems to be almost as good as B17/5 LTE, which is weird, considering that B2 should be much weaker in theory. In my experience, HSPA+ has been mostly useless over the past couple of years unless you have a good signal, so if you go off the edge of a site's LTE onto HSPA+ with one bar, it's useless. HSPA+ can work well with a good signal, but clogs easily due to the bandwidth demands of modern phones. HSPA+ was last AT&T's primary network with the iPhone 4s.
    B2 HSPA performs about as well as B17 LTE in my neck of the woods, maybe a little bit less propagation but very similar in strength in multiple areas with sometimes even dropping to HSPA with more strength than B17?? I don't have much experience with B2 LTE but from what I've seen it doesn't travel as far as B5 LTE from what I've seen, so B17 should travel even further and it does, I connected to a site about 16 miles give or take on top of a mountain, B2 couldn't reach. But like I said, B5 HSPA is fantastic at covering mountainous areas deep into valleys with pockets of good signal and usable data, more useful than zero bars on USCC CDMA and not having to climb up a hill or mountain in order to get a signal that may or may not work on CDMA is a much better experience. Even B5 LTE while not quite as good as HSPA for coverage still beats out CDMA, at least in my area.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    B2 HSPA performs about as well as B17 LTE in my neck of the woods, maybe a little bit less propagation but very similar in strength in multiple areas with sometimes even dropping to HSPA with more strength than B17?? I don't have much experience with B2 LTE but from what I've seen it doesn't travel as far as B5 LTE from what I've seen, so B17 should travel even further and it does, I connected to a site about 16 miles give or take on top of a mountain, B2 couldn't reach. But like I said, B5 HSPA is fantastic at covering mountainous areas deep into valleys with pockets of good signal and usable data, more useful than zero bars on USCC CDMA and not having to climb up a hill or mountain in order to get a signal that may or may not work on CDMA is a much better experience. Even B5 LTE while not quite as good as HSPA for coverage still beats out CDMA, at least in my area.
    Yeah, logically, B17/5 should travel farther. Maybe it is the configuration of the network in the areas I've tried, but B2 seems like a real champ.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I've seen b2 Hspa travel and work better than b12 LTE. The problem is that LTE is a more fragile air link. AT&T and T-Mobile use another mode(b3?) that extends LTE further than Verizon or Sprint. I can't find the exact technical term right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ (Qualcomm) Georgetown, TX ........................... Spectrum 300/20, $94.99/month

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    I've seen b2 Hspa travel and work better than b12 LTE. The problem is that LTE is a more fragile air link. AT&T and T-Mobile use another mode(b3?) that extends LTE further than Verizon or Sprint. I can't find the exact technical term right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Transmission Mode 3 or 4?

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Transmission Mode 3 or 4?
    What is that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    I know once you go about 40 miles north of NYC, the transmission mode switches from TM4 to TM3. They seem to be using TM3 in rural and exurban areas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I know once you go about 40 miles north of NYC, the transmission mode switches from TM4 to TM3. They seem to be using TM3 in rural and exurban areas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    Interesting. I tried to use LTE Disabled but data wouldn’t transfer. With LTE enabled it worked fine. Did AT&T remove HSPA+ from the towers? I know LTE band 29 rollout is still in process so I always leave LTE on and it seems to work fine. I used my mini 2 where HSPA+ was the only service available while taking auto train from Virginia to Florida in a tower somewhere and it worked fine. The trip was a little while back so it’s also possible the tower was since upgraded to LTE but I am not sure as it likely was in a more rural area. I am presuming this mini 4 will work as well on towers where LTE is not available.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    That's weird, they should really turn the power up more so I could have LTE down that hill lol, ......
    Turning the power up is a two-edged sword. Yes, you may get an LTE signal where you didn't before but the cochannel interference will degrade the signal quality to make it unusable. It's a fine balance between having enough signal and having too many signals. AT&T already tends to err on the side of more power.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Turning the power up is a two-edged sword.
    Exactly. And the experience is a 2 way street. Turning up the cell site power won't help much if your phones weak output signal is interrupted by terrain or other circumstances.

It's similar to being on a mountain overlooking a town. Your phone may indicate a strong INCOMING signal, but still may not work because the phones weak output doesn't reach BACK to the tower.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast