Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna pro 4G LTE on HSN - some questions

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    The important thing for me is that the airtime card actually works and gives a three month extension for $19.99.

What matters for me is that it actually works. The three month extension is much cheaper with an airtime card versus smartphone only plan. For a very light smartphone user like me (who will have a huge amount of minutes put on the phone to begin with) this is great.
    If you're mainly interested in getting service days and don't really care how many minutes you get....did you know that there's an add-on option (when you buy a time card online, even the cheapest one) that lets you add 1 year of service for $50 (and no minutes). That would be a better buy than spending $19.99 for 90 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If you're mainly interested in getting service days and don't really care how many minutes you get....did you know that there's an add-on option (when you buy a time card online, even the cheapest one) that lets you add 1 year of service for $50 (and no minutes). That would be a better buy than spending $19.99 for 90 days.

Just hear back and they said the year minutes would roll over with the 3 month 19.99 airtime card applied near the end.

That year card for $50 sounds good but it gives no minutes at all and for the same amount I can get 6 months of time with at least 120, 120 120 and still have $10 left over. I'd have to look at that and see if it works for me in terms of my use of the phone and see what combo of airtime and $50 card would work.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That year card for $50 sounds good but it gives no minutes at all and for the same amount I can get 6 months of time with at least 120, 120 120 and still have $10 left over.
    You're comparing 1 year of service time vs 6 months of service time. Plus, the time card that you need to buy at the same time with that add-on option adds 60 or 90 days on its own too. So you end up with 14 or 15 months.

I'd have to look at that and see if it works for me in terms of my use of the phone and see what combo of airtime and $50 card would work.
    That's mainly what it comes down to, finding a combination that fits your usage and costs the least.
    Last edited by hpham; 09-16-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    Okay, I just got done communicating with two Tracfone customer reps. These particular reps have given me accurate info in the past - they told me the TMFL program was ending for tracfone smartphone and byop sims many weeks ago before it was common knowledge and they turned out to be right when not many seemed to know what was going on.

Anyway, they told me there is no such thing as a tracfone smartphone that only works with smartphone plans. It doesn't exist. According to them, the meaning of "this phone will only work with smartphone plans" is that it is the only phone capable of doing so versus a feature phone or flip phone. They explained all tracfone smartphones and all byop smartphones work with airtime cards. Maybe you guys understand it like this but that is now how the wording reads to me.

They explained if I got the luna pro with the year deal from hsn/qvc I could add a $19.99 60 minute airtime card to it to give it 60 voice, 60 text, 60 data more and 90 days more of service (and I imagine double that 120,120,120 with promo code which has always worked for me on the feature phone giving me triple minutes).

If this is true, and given their track record I'm learing towards that it is, then I'm going to order the luna pro.

Has anyone ever added or attempted to add a normal airtime card to a so-called smartphone plan only phone?

listen just got this phone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luma Pro for $99.99 from HSn and got all that plus 1yrs of 1200minutes,2000 text and plus 1gig of Data,so the phone is free,very good deal for a great phone i think

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu59 View Post
    listen just got this phone Samsung Galaxy J3 Luma Pro for $99.99 from HSn and got all that plus 1yrs of 1200minutes,2000 text and plus 1gig of Data,so the phone is free,very good deal for a great phone i think
    Hi babyblu59.

Did your phone come with 1.5GB of RAM?
    HSN didn't put the amount of RAM the phone had on their webpage.

And did your phone come with advertising pop-ups preinstalled?

Feedback Score
    The advertising pop-ups probably came from someone visiting a bad website.

Quote Originally Posted by Old User View Post
    Hi babyblu59.

Did your phone come with 1.5GB of RAM?
    HSN didn't put the amount of RAM the phone had on their webpage.

And did your phone come with advertising pop-ups preinstalled?

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Do you really mean popups, or ads that are display IN the apps? For example, the GasBuddy app says "Contains ads".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    Do you really mean popups, or ads that are display IN the apps? For example, the GasBuddy app says "Contains ads".
    I was looking at the 2 star reviews for the "TracFone Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro 5.5" w/ Case & 1500 Min/Text/Data" on QVC and a couple reviews complained about too many advertisements.

One 2 star review said:
    "the phone comes loaded with advertising. I guess that is why the price is so low. If you don't mind saying No Thanks to 50 ads per day, you might be happy with this phone."

Another 2 star review said:
    "Ads pop up all the time. Called TracFone and they said the ads were from the apps I downloaded."

I have never owned a smartphone, I have only used a basic phone, so I don't really know if they are really pop ups or ads that are displayed in the apps.

But the first 2 star review said "If you don't mind saying No Thanks to 50 ads per day", and I don't want to have to deal with something like that.

I have never bought anything from QVC or HSN and they both sell the same phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro) with nice airtime packages included so the phones are like free, and I am looking for the phone with no ads and the least amount of bloatware.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Old User; 09-17-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the 2 star reviews for the "TracFone Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro 5.5" w/ Case & 1500 Min/Text/Data" on QVC and a couple reviews complained about too many advertisements.

[...]

I have never bought anything from QVC or HSN and they both sell the same phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro) with nice airtime packages included so the phones are like free, and I am looking for the phone with no ads and the least amount of bloatware.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
    I've bought a number of Tracfones from QVC and HSN over the years and they never came with pop-up ads.The pop-up ads the reviewers are talking about probably came for apps they downloaded or were associated with websites they visited with the phone. I don't know if the J3 Luna Pro comes with much bloatware. Good luck!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't have the Luna Pro from QVC, but I just bought a Rebel 2 bundle from HSN. It has no pop-up ads, no advertising apps; what it has that I consider bloatware are Facebook, Facebook app manager, some Google apps.

Amazon sells some several versions of phones (none is Tracfone) that have Amazon ad on the home screen. Those are usually $50 cheaper than the no-ad version, and are clearly identified.

The complaints from those reviewers most likely about ads from shareware that they downloaded or the sites that they went to.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the information and all the advice, tfu2215 and hpham.

And thanks for the good luck, tfu2215.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Just hear back and they said the year minutes would roll over with the 3 month 19.99 airtime card applied near the end.

That year card for $50 sounds good but it gives no minutes at all and for the same amount I can get 6 months of time with at least 120, 120 120 and still have $10 left over. I'd have to look at that and see if it works for me in terms of my use of the phone and see what combo of airtime and $50 card would work.
    Your buckets (minutes, texts, data) always roll over when you add airtime and you don't have to wait until your service end date. The additional service always stacks on to what you currently have.

Promo codes only add to your minutes bucket on smartphones, they won't add to your texts or data. Adding a 60 minute card to a smartphone only plans (SOP) smartphone, may give you 60, 60, 60 and 90 days (assuming it works at all, no one's reported that they've tried it). A 60 minute bonus code would give you 120, 60, 60 and 90 days, not 120, 120, 120.

The exception to that is there are a couple of bonus codes that work with smartphone only plans and give 100 MB or 1 GB bonus data and there's a bonus code for $15 off the $100 400 minute one year airtime card.

As others pointed out, I think you were give misinformation from the CS reps, which is not surprising to me. There are still TMFL smartphones and BYOP smartphone kits available and you should definitely look to get one of those, especially since you're looking to use the $20 90 day airtime cards. Why limit yourself with fewer options.

Also, if you have a lot of minutes, the $50 one year extension is likely your best option. Combined with a $20 90 day airtime card, you can get an additional 15 months of service for $70.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Your buckets (minutes, texts, data) always roll over when you add airtime and you don't have to wait until your service end date. The additional service always stacks on to what you currently have.

Promo codes only add to your minutes bucket on smartphones, they won't add to your texts or data. Adding a 60 minute card to a smartphone only plans (SOP) smartphone, may give you 60, 60, 60 and 90 days (assuming it works at all, no one's reported that they've tried it). A 60 minute bonus code would give you 120, 60, 60 and 90 days, not 120, 120, 120.

The exception to that is there are a couple of bonus codes that work with smartphone only plans and give 100 MB or 1 GB bonus data and there's a bonus code for $15 off the $100 400 minute one year airtime card.

As others pointed out, I think you were give misinformation from the CS reps, which is not surprising to me. There are still TMFL smartphones and BYOP smartphone kits available and you should definitely look to get one of those, especially since you're looking to use the $20 90 day airtime cards. Why limit yourself with fewer options.

Also, if you have a lot of minutes, the $50 one year extension is likely your best option. Combined with a $20 90 day airtime card, you can get an additional 15 months of service for $70.

Regarding the minutes rolling over when you add airtime.. I know i have the LG442BG and I've added a couple of cards to it and the minutes have always tripled with a promo code and yes 3 months time is added to service end date each time (in advance).

Good to know about the 120, 60, 60 voice only bonus with promo code on smartphones.

I think what I'm going to do is get the Luna pro with the 1500 free minutes from QVC etc good for one year for $98 tax included. Normally I think this would cost $109 (Tracfone, Amazon) + $125 = $234. Then I'll see how it works with airtime card + promo code. Even if they are wrong I've read its a decent phone, it has way more than I will use in year, and who knows maybe they will change the program in a years time and I guess it will unlock by then too so I may have other options. I have a feeling the airtime card is going to work. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I get it.

Before I order it I'm going to confirm again with a particular rep that airtime cards work with smarphone plans only smartphones.
    Last edited by lappers; 09-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    "Before I order it I'm going to confirm again with a particular rep that airtime cards work with smarphone plans only smartphones."

Specifically ask them if you will get triple time if you add basic airtime refill.

Feedback Score
    I'll throw that in but my understanding is the TMFL program is over so it should not triple - unless the phone has triple minutes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast