Thread: Port Number to Sprint

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Port Number to Sprint

So we're currently VZW customers and we'd like to switch over to Sprint. The issue is that our cell numbers are not from where we currently live and we don't want to change them (have had them for many years).

So I went to Sprint's website and they indicate they are unable to port our numbers into their system.

Anyone have suggestions/workarounds as to how we might be able to get them ported over? I also tried porting to Google Voice and they gave the same indication.

Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by swallman View Post
    So we're currently VZW customers and we'd like to switch over to Sprint. The issue is that our cell numbers are not from where we currently live and we don't want to change them (have had them for many years).

So I went to Sprint's website and they indicate they are unable to port our numbers into their system.

Anyone have suggestions/workarounds as to how we might be able to get them ported over? I also tried porting to Google Voice and they gave the same indication.

Thanks!
    What's the area code and prefix? There are some exchanges where Sprint can't provide numbers. When you call a cell phone, the number is first routed to the phone's home exchange, then the system sends the call to wherever the phone has registered.

So if I have a NYC phone number but live in LA, in call setup the caller's network dips the number, finds the LRN for sprint, sends the call to the NYC exchange, sprint's system queries which tower the phone is connected to, and sends the call to LA. If you have a number for an area sprint doesn't have service, they may not have an exchange there to handle and route incoming calls -- even if you live and work in an area sprint does have service.

https://www.npac.com/number-portability/how-lnp-works
    renew orleans

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Area code (608), prefix 863

It was originally Alltel many years ago, in a small town in Wisconsin.

Feedback Score
    If you are looking at Sprint's free year offer (and you might as well do so), try calling Sprint Telesales at 866-782-8777 . They are highly motivated and sometimes can find workarounds for issues like this. Sometimes (commission) money talks.

Often it actually is *possible* to port any number anywhere, it just costs extra in difficult cases and it depends whether the new carrier is willing to pay a surcharge.

There *might* be a trick where you port to say AT&T GoPhone or TMobile Prepaid first and then to Sprint from there. I cannot guarantee it would work.

Also see what Ting (Sprint division) says. They are very resourceful and may know of any workaround. However porting from Ting Sprint division to Sprint would not qualify for the Free offer, unless you first ported elsewhere once again (eg. to Ting's GSM side).
    Last edited by comintel; 09-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.