Thread: Fry's unlocked ZTE zMax 2 16gb 5.5"

Feedback Score

Fry's unlocked ZTE zMax 2 16gb 5.5"

Found this unlocked zMax 2 on Fry's website, 71.99, sounds good but no shipping, has to be at nearby store & search said none near me but maybe someone else would like it for H20 or other provider &can find it near them.
    Specs said 5.5", 16gb, 2gb RAM, 5.1 Lollipop os, 8mp &2mp cams, 1.2ghz quad core processor, 4gLTE, 3000mAh power, 64gb expansion card slot.
    Hope link works, Fry's item #8901543.

http://www.frys.com/product/8901543#detailed

Feedback Score
    Link didn't work on post, but it's Fry's item #8901543, upc 885913103853 if anyone wants to search for it.

Its listed bands were GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 850/1900/AWS LTE bands 2/4/5/17

I know many of you do your own unlocking &get your phones cheaper than this but some like me might rather buy unlocked devices.

Feedback Score
    Another attempt to post the link, if this doesn't work, am sorry!

http://www.frys.com/product/8901543?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Semi-related rant:

Android 8.0 just came out. Selling a phone with a 3-generation-old version of Android (that will never receive any OS or security updates) seems like a bad idea.

If I go buy a new Mac or PC or iPhone, it comes with the latest version of the operating system installed. Why are we expected to buy NEW Android phones with 3-year-old operating systems?

Feedback Score
    Agree, i've been finding phones that sound ok, 16gb memory with 5" or bigger screen, specs sound ok for my light duty use until i get to the OS. That should really be better than 4.3 jellybean or 4.4 kitkat yet thats whats on some. They could update that & get a better price. HSN sells Tracfone bundles with old OS. The Fiesta was good but some are kitkat. I had a Tracfone LG with outdated OS&couldn't update it so the browser wouldn't work. So its true, my guess is if its not atleast 6.0 or upgradeable, should look elsewhere.

I read some comments that said the ZTE zMax was fairly good for a low end phone, but people were complaining it crashed a lot or WiFi & browser stopped working suddenly. So, maybe not a good choice, probably a Moto even if it costs more unlocked would be better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    Semi-related rant:

Android 8.0 just came out. Selling a phone with a 3-generation-old version of Android (that will never receive any OS or security updates) seems like a bad idea.

If I go buy a new Mac or PC or iPhone, it comes with the latest version of the operating system installed. Why are we expected to buy NEW Android phones with 3-year-old operating systems?
    You can still get plenty of new PC's with older operating systems. I just bought one with Windows 7 Pro on it less than a year ago.

When it comes to phones; First all all, you are not "expected" to buy anything. You have choices, tons of choices in fact when it comes to smartphones. If you want to save money, often a lot of money, a phone with an older OS is an option. Only 16% of Android users use Nougat, the VAST MAJORITY of users (over 60%) are still using Lollipop and Marshmallow. The average person doesn't care all that much about what version they are using as long as they can text, browse an make calls. Most people don't have a problem with security on their phones and don't even think about it.

Source: https://fossbytes.com/most-popular-a...lways-updated/

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Zmax 2 was also sold as a AT&T Prepaid device and the AT&T version got the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update. If I were you I would look at this guy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-go...?skuId=5883860.

That is the new ZTE Blade Spark for AT&T Prepaid but also usable on H2O as well without needing to be unlocked. The ZTE Blade Spark is essentially the Zmax 2 but with the latest Android Nougat software version 7.1.1, has the new USB-C charging, and has a Fingerprint scanner on it all for $99.99. So the ZTE Blade Spark is essentially the "Updated" ZTE Zmax 2.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.