Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-mob charges $10/mo if you want to switch carriers...

Feedback Score

T-mob charges $10/mo if you want to switch carriers...

If you have to pay $10 per month anyway, why don't you get a prepaid backup SIM? Get a dual SIM adapter on eBay for a couple of bucks and you're good to go. They work great and you can switch the SIM right in your settings when you don't have a T-Mo signal. Then when your phone is paid off you can decide whether you want to leave or not (if the signal still isn't giving you what you need) and you don't have to go through the hassle of switching carriers right now. T-Mobile is light years better than they were even a couple of years ago so they may improve evolution they the time your phone is paid off. Just a thought.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm messaging them now to clarify. We want to move both lines to AT&T.

The catch is my phone will be suspended while doing the $10/month deal, this, not allowing me to port it to AT&T until paid off. That sucks.

We'll just have to cough up the $500 in a couple of months I guess.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    If you have to pay $10 per month anyway, why don't you get a prepaid backup SIM? Get a dual SIM adapter on eBay for a couple of bucks and you're good to go. They work great and you can switch the SIM right in your settings when you don't have a T-Mo signal. Then when your phone is paid off you can decide whether you want to leave or not (if the signal still isn't giving you what you need) and you don't have to go through the hassle of switching carriers right now. T-Mobile is light years better than they were even a couple of years ago so they may improve evolution they the time your phone is paid off. Just a thought.
    Never heard of this. Sorry I'm not up on phone tech like most people here. Where do I get a prepaid backup sim? Never heard of the dual adapter either. How would those work if I am locked to T-Mobile?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I assumed I would have to pay the phone off of course. That extra $10/month surprised me though.

I don't want to get another phone with an Intel modem is the reason I don't want to switch carriers and let them pay if off.

I fell for the constant "we're updating towers near you" comments. I figured it would get better.

Lol that is the same "explanation" I would always receive before I finally gave up and switched. I guess they figure if they keep leading you on forever and doing so nicely they will retain you as a customer.

My experience with T-Mobile taught me to not subscribe to a particular carrier in hopes that they will eventually better serve you area, especially if there is an incumbent that already works.

Feedback Score
    I will say that my daughter was able to watch YouTube and Hulu in the car just fine the whole way. T-mobile works great outdoors and fine I guess in the car.

Frustrating that inside most buildings and even my house it's so poor. I was at the mall waiting for my wife and daughter to do some make-up shopping, and everyone else walking around me could use their phone. I couldn't do anything! Longest hour and a half ever haha!
    What parts of Dallas? I'm in Dallas too and can get T-mobile to work most of the time. They aren't great around Highland Park or out towards Terrell, but I haven't had any deal breaking issues at Northpark or the Galleria mall. I lose T-mobile service in the parking garage at the Galleria and also for the most part inside Nordstrom and Macy's, but I had a similar problem with AT&T. Both of those malls and stores do have WiFi, so that helps. At SMU I can get some service in most buildings, just depends on which floor and where I am at. Areas that have light pink coverage on T-mobile's map can't be counted on to actually deliver service inside buildings unfortunately.

Feedback Score

T-mob charges $10/mo if you want to switch carriers...

Never heard of this. Sorry I'm not up on phone tech like most people here. Where do I get a prepaid backup sim? Never heard of the dual adapter either. How would those work if I am locked to T-Mobile?
    GoodTalk makes something called a MagicSIM or you can get them even cheaper on eBay. This little adapter allows you to use two SIM's. They can't be used simultaneously (both active at the same time) but you can have "SIM 1" selected on your phone for your T-Mo SIM and have SIM 2 as your backup SIM from another carrier. When you don't have a T-Mo signal you just go to Settings on your phone and choose "SIM 2", which will switch your phone over to the backup carrier. I use one for my work number so I don't have to carry two phones. They work great.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    What parts of Dallas? I'm in Dallas too and can get T-mobile to work most of the time. They aren't great around Highland Park or out towards Terrell, but I haven't had any deal breaking issues at Northpark or the Galleria mall. I lose T-mobile service in the parking garage at the Galleria and also for the most part inside Nordstrom and Macy's, but I had a similar problem with AT&T. Both of those malls and stores do have WiFi, so that helps. At SMU I can get some service in most buildings, just depends on which floor and where I am at. Areas that have light pink coverage on T-mobile's map can't be counted on to actually deliver service inside buildings unfortunately.
    I live in Cedar Hill. So with AT&T you weren't getting service inside buildings well? I just never remember it being an issue. In fact I remember my sister in law calling us for an emergency inside Dillard's. On t-mobile we wouldn't have received that call in all likelihood.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    GoodTalk makes something called a MagicSIM or you can get them even cheaper on eBay. This little adapter allows you to use two SIM's. They can't be used simultaneously (both active at the same time) but you can have "SIM 1" selected on your phone for your T-Mo SIM and have SIM 2 as your backup SIM from another carrier. When you don't have a T-Mo signal you just go to Settings on your phone and choose "SIM 2", which will switch your phone over to the backup carrier. I use one for my work number so I don't have to carry two phones. They work great.
    So I would need this MagicSim or something similar and a prepaid sim from another carrier?

Will have to look into that- thanks!

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assumed I would have to pay the phone off of course. That extra $10/month surprised me though.

I don't want to get another phone with an Intel modem is the reason I don't want to switch carriers and let them pay if off.

I fell for the constant "we're updating towers near you" comments. I figured it would get better.
    I think the phone was subsidised by T-Mobile over your phone repayment period that lowered the cost of the phone.

Feedback Score

Try a hotspot.

So I would need this MagicSim or something similar and a prepaid sim from another carrier?

Will have to look into that- thanks!
    I use an AT&T hot spot and T mobile phones for work and travel. There are many instances where AT&T coverage is better, which often includes basements and sub-floors in cities, rural areas not close to interstates, and areas where T mobile has B12 only coverage. The hot spot covers everyone for data and voice through WiFi calling. My AT&T plan does not include Canada, so I use a T mobile hot spot or the phone's hotspot when I travel there.

I still find Tmo's urban coverage superior and their cell pricing better that AT&T, especially when you don't want to bundle Direct TV. AT&T tends to have better equipment deals through.

Feedback Score
    I live in Cedar Hill. So with AT&T you weren't getting service inside buildings well? I just never remember it being an issue. In fact I remember my sister in law calling us for an emergency inside Dillard's. On t-mobile we wouldn't have received that call in all likelihood.
    Ah, Cedar Hill I am not too familiar with, I haven't been that far south of downtown in a long time aside from traveling on highways. Out in Waxahachie I know T-mobile doesn't work well.

With AT&T I would have problems on certain floors of certain department stores. Nordstrom has their men shoe department on the bottom floor by the parking garage at the Galleria, and I think that is technically below ground level and 4 levels below the top level.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would hate to switch back to AT&T only to see some of the same issues. I just don't recall having many while I had them. I have DirecTV also is why switching back sounds reasonable.

Surprised by the comment above where someone found T-mo to be superior in urban areas.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Oh, forgot to mention my parents both have AT&T (using 5s and 6s), and both use their phones fine inside stores. My dad goes to the store for my mom often, and he is constantly calling with questions about what to get (Walmart, Sams, etc). Again, not sure if Tmobile is to blame or Intel modem in newer phones.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Att is pretty strong in TX overall but was talking to a friend on the phone a few minutes ago that lives in TX and he has also seen where T-Mobile is better in the more populated areas. He likes T-Mobile best so what he does is use T-Mobile postpaid for his main line and uses an att gophone line for $10 a month as a backup. He plans to ditch the att backup eventually. Now the backup isn't great if you want to use it a lot but it gives him a backup line in case of emergency or when an important call needs to be made.

For some that may not work and just switching service may be best but for him it works well. I carry an att backup but I haven't needed it in so long I sometimes forget to take it with me when I leave the house

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    T-Mobile doesn't suck for everyone. With as much cricket as you try to sell here it's no wonder you would say that
    I didn't say it sucked for everyone. I was asking the OP didn't he (personally) notice the signal didn't have good penetration during the return period. As for trying to sell Cricket, the signature is static...no apologies.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast