Thread: AT&T Wireless, Roku, and NBC App

Feedback Score

AT&T Wireless, Roku, and NBC App

Anybody using AT&T Wireless for their home Internet connection and using a Roku to stream TV shows? Can you stream via the NBC app?

I'm helping someone that's using AT&T WHPI on an unlimited plan (very rural area), but their Roku cannot stream NBC videos. Every other Roku app works fine, even the NBC News app. But with the NBC app, any TV show you try to stream it says "This content is currently unavailable". The Roku is logged into her satellite provider.

I've tried the Roku at my house with a different Internet Service, and the NBC app streams fine. It's got to be something with AT&T Wireless or AT&T WHPI - because that's the only variable that is changing.

It's got me puzzled because I'm not seeing where anyone else is having this problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Anybody using AT&T Wireless for their home Internet connection and using a Roku to stream TV shows? Can you stream via the NBC app?...
    I don't generally stream with the Roku using my AT&T Wireless, but I tried it to see what would happen.

I installed the NBC app.

Streaming worked fine with my cable Internet. The NBC app shows the name of my cable ISP in the top right corner of the app.

I switched the Roku Wifi to my AT&T Wireless Connected Car device. I got the "This content is not available" message.

This seems to confirm what you are seeing.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for going through the effort to check, I really appreciate that.

At least I know that I'm not going crazy now.

Not really sure how to fix it, but it's helpful to know that it's not just me.

Feedback Score
    Just tried my NBC app for the first time and get the same result.
    Like you NBC news and all other apps work fine.

Tested on WHPI 250gb, Roku, NBC app, Directv.
    Last edited by coldknob; 09-18-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    Do either of you have Stream Saver turned off?

I'm wondering if this is somehow related to Stream Saver or if it is just a straight block.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Roku and AT&T WHPI connection right now, so I can't test it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have used my at&t wireless to steam NBC app. I use a at&t hotspot bridged to my asus router. I have stream saver turned off. It has been a while since I have used it though. There was a period of time we were catching up on shows and could only do it through NBC app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Using an iPhone over cellular , I was prompted to verify the TV provider. Using an iPad wifi only, I was not prompted to verify my TV provider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Do either of you have Stream Saver turned off?

I'm wondering if this is somehow related to Stream Saver or if it is just a straight block.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Roku and AT&T WHPI connection right now, so I can't test it.
    My Stream Saver shows turned on. I have never changed it. I don't really know what it does. Everything looks fine that I stream with the Roku. The HD things look like they are HD to me. My usual Roku apps are PBS and YouTube.

Feedback Score
    My Stream Saver is off; always has been except for those few weeks when it was enabled (turned on) but with no option to turn it off.

It doesn't appear to make any difference to the NBC app.