Thread: SpareOne Plan Discontinued

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score

SpareOne Plan Discontinued

Just an FYI - I got the following letter in the mail today (I thought getting something from AT&T Prepaid was weird), but it was regarding my SpareOne service. I picked up one of the newer SpareOne phones from Target a few months ago for $3 and they still work in the post-2G shutdown. I suspect AT&T is killing off the plan and/or ended their agreement with SpareOne:

Hi ___,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, your SpareOne Emergency phone service will be discontinued as of October 15, 2017. If you enrolled in AutoPay, your AutoPay payments for your SpareOne service will be canceled as well.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and because you are an important AT&T customer, we are applying a $30 credit to your account. If you would like to cancel this AT&T PREPAID account, call 866.650.1836 and we will issue you a refund check for the existing balance of the account.

However, we would like to offer you a replacement option for your device. Switch over to our $0.25/minute plan by December 31, 2017, and we will provide you the following:

• Free LG B470 phone*
    • A one-year extension of your account expiration date

Plus, you will keep any existing balance on your account.

To take advantage of this free replacement phone offer, or to cancel your SpareOne Emergency phone account, please call 866.650.1836.

Sincerely,
    AT&T PREPAID

*offer ends 12/31/17. LG B470 phone only. Valid for this account only. Call 866.650.1836 for details.
    I only got this for the heck of it when the phone was $3 (figured even without service I could call 911), but added about $25 of service to play with all the features for a year. Depending on if I migrate to the traditional plans, it could actually almost double the value (and get me a cheapie phone), although I'm not sure I'd need it.

Device(s)
    HP Pre 3, Blackberry Q5
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone found a way to unlock this phone? I would love to be able to use this when traveling and have a local sim in it.

Feedback Score
    Found a similar LG 440g gsm unlocked for 19.99 at a Kmart or Sears site. Can google it to find out the specs & features.

https://www.shopyourway.com/m/p/617949366

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    Has anyone found a way to unlock this phone? I would love to be able to use this when traveling and have a local sim in it.
    I haven’t, and it seems that the phone will still work with AT&T, Cricket, or H2O. It just seems that the SpareOne features and that particular plan are going away.

Feedback Score
    There's a conversation about this phone in the forum's Tracfone section, someone reported that their Tracfone AT&T sim works in it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    There's a conversation about this phone in the forum's Tracfone section, someone reported that their Tracfone AT&T sim works in it.
    I suspect any SIM that works in an AT&T-locked phone will continue to work. It just seems AT&T is ending their $25/year plan that made this relatively inexpensive to keep as a spare/backup.