Thread: HBO Question: Requires DIRECTV NOW subscription?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 - 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    USA (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

HBO Question: Requires DIRECTV NOW subscription?

Hi all. I'm coming back to AT&T from T-Mobile after a few years. My new SIM card should be arriving soon. I currently subscribe to HBO via Hulu/HBONow.

Regarding the current promo, I understand that we will be billed for a couple of billing cycles and then credited afterwards, correct? I don't currently subscribe to any of the TV services that AT&T works with.

Taken from the website: https://www.att.com/

Requires an AT&T Unlimited Choice or Plus plan (min. $60/mo. after AutoPay & paperless bill discount which starts w/in 2 bills). See att.com/unlimited for plan price & details. HBO Benefit/Credit: Wireless-only customers get streaming HBO only and need to set up a DIRECTV NOW account at directvnow.com for no charge.
    Does this mean that it's necessary to sign up for, at least the $35/mo DirecTV plan + HBO and I'd be billed $40+ dollars on top of my regular bill initially until the credits are applied? Or is would I be able to still sign up for JUST HBO without any of the other channels? ...I just want to be clear if there's a potential billing nightmare......btw, I was talking with someone on Chat who didn't appear to know exactly how that worked.

Thanks!
    "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way." --Jessica Rabbit, Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
    Hi all. I'm coming back to AT&T from T-Mobile after a few years. My new SIM card should be arriving soon. I currently subscribe to HBO via Hulu/HBONow.

Regarding the current promo, I understand that we will be billed for a couple of billing cycles and then credited afterwards, correct? I don't currently subscribe to any of the TV services that AT&T works with.

Taken from the website: https://www.att.com/

Does this mean that it's necessary to sign up for, at least the $35/mo DirecTV plan + HBO and I'd be billed $40+ dollars on top of my regular bill initially until the credits are applied? Or is would I be able to still sign up for JUST HBO without any of the other channels? ...I just want to be clear if there's a potential billing nightmare......btw, I was talking with someone on Chat who didn't appear to know exactly how that worked.

Thanks!
    All you do is create a DirecTV Now account and enter your AT&T phone number, once you do that you will the have access to HBO. It's confusing but you do not have to sign up for a DirecTV Now package you only create an account. You can then download HBO GO on your phone or streaming device and sign in with your DirecTV Now account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 - 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    USA (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for clarifying! :-)

Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    You actually download the app Directv NOW. You sign up for free at https://www.directvnow.com/accounts/create-account

If you a new customer though it takes a couple bill cycles before it recognizes you as a AT&T customer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    You don't pay for the service.. AT&T throws it in for free with their unlimited choice and unlimited plus plans. If there's a difference between those two plans and this offer, I couldn't tell ya.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 - 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    USA (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    I was able to set it up without issue. I signed up online for the DIRECTVNOW account and then used that to login to HBO Go on my ipad/iphone and roku. I did not download the DIRECTVNOW app.

Carrier(s)
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Well maybe it's setup differently on iOS, but that's how it is on Android with the free streaming they offer for their unlimited plans.

Website didn't let me even create a account till I was 2 or 2 1/2 bill cycles in. How you were able to get an account already..either you are doing something differently or you already been a customer for awhile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 - 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    USA (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Hmmmm....I just ported my number over from T-Mobile. I signed up for online account management and then signed for paperless billing and autopay. I signed up for the directv now account and then logged onto HBO Go with that info. It was instant. I only ported over this week.